Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Penny Dreadful

Honoured Mook

Date:
Penny Dreadful

People have been recommending Penny Dreadful to me since it aired, but since I don't have the channel it airs on or a reliable internet connection, I had to wait until my local library finally received the first season on DVD.

And oh

my

gosh.

It's fantastic! I'm a big fan of Victorian horrors and this show really hits all my favorite things. I'm having small fangirl moments because there is no one in the show who isn't attractive to me (which is a bonus, not a main reason to watch) and the plot flipflops from being really dramatic to really serious. I also like how it hit all the common themes in the Victorian novels throughout the show.

Have you seen it? What do you think? I'm only through the first season, but I'm really enjoying it. Admittedly, there are a few things that sort of drive me nuts (like Dorian Grey, I like you, but besides sex what exactly do you DO?)

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I think it's quite a brave show with the way it handles episodes, and needless to say Vanessa Ives is BEYOND MARVELLOUS. Why, why did they cancel?! It must have been quite expensive to make because IT LOOKS LUSH AS LUSH AS THE PEOPLE IN IT

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have no idea why they canceled! Ahhhh! I'm so nervous because the second season just arrived for me at the library (I pick it up tomorrow) and then I will have to bide my time until the third season comes out on DVD. But then what? Whatever can I do once it is over? AHHH!

I must admit, Vanessa intrigued me in the beginning. I was expecting something quite different from her past but I like that she fits the femme fatale role common in those types of novels. The one light woman/one dark woman theme was nice both visually and as a nod to the novels of the period.

I have a large crush on Frankenstein.

Ugh.

Such arrogance. I can't wait for horrible things to happen to him.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've just got into this, i binge watched the first series a week or so ago and got part way through the second but i was watching it while my sleep was out so i kinda stopped when it got back to semi normal. I might watch some more of the second series today. I really enjoyed what i've seen and Vanessa Ives is a pretty great charachter. I can't deal with Dorian Gray's hair though, it's such a weird forced looking style and i find it really irritating and distracting.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

^^^^That's basically where I'm at. I fell asleep during an episode during season 2 and have just been too distracted to finish it, but I plan to this week (partly because the DVDs I rented are due.)

You know, I always thought there was something odd about Dorian Grey, and now that you pointed that out about his hair it makes so much sense that I can't believe I didn't pinpoint it before. I always thought he looked almost too modern for the period but then I wondered if that was just me, or if maybe even that was the point.

I'm not usually one to focus on clothing in the show--I like plot over details like that--but i must say i am quite envious of some of the wardrobes of the characters. They're quite lovely!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm finding especially now i've finished the second series that Dorian Gray just feels like such a pointless charachter, everyone else has like a plot and charachter development and back stories and he's just like there, having sex with people. Like he's such a meh character and i don't see why he's there.

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

oh god i still haven't finished season two yet
are you telling me
HE ONLY JUST HAS SEX?? WHAT ELSE DOES HE DO?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Season three so far he's doing a bit more but it's still kinda based around sex. I swear it's all he does, I can't talk but i'm not supposed to be a character with an actual plot line in a tv show #notslutshamingdoriangraybut

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

I finished season 2. While I enjoyed the inclusion of Angelique, I'm still not sure what she had to do with the overall story....which leads me back to...C'MON DORIAN GREY???

I have low expectations for him for season three now lmao

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah Angelique just seemed to exist to show that Dorian grey is a dick who likes sex

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yeah, I really thought they were going to go somewhere with her. I liked her. She was bold and unapologetic, but it bothered me that she existed to further his story line (or lack there of).

Also as a werewolf fanatic, I am really disappointed with the werewolfism.

It took me midway through season 2 to realize that he's an AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAha

They made it seem so dramatic but all he does is get some hair on his chest. That's cool. I can also grow hair at an alarming rate and once a month there's a lot of blood. I guess I was wishing for more.

I did like the vampires a lot though. I was a little "eh" on the naked witch ladies, but I didn't dislike it. It reminded me of the 'sending the ghostly hag' trope in old witchcraft folklore so I liked that.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us