Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Going to Iceland in June

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:
Going to Iceland in June

Ah, I am so excited! I am going with Paddy and a couple of friends to Iceland in June and I have never been to Scandinavia before. I am so looking forward to the landscape and visiting the land of the sagas. Irilar, I only wish we could visit Norway too. Hopefully one day, it would be great to visit if you are free.

We have a car and an itinerary below for exploring the West of Iceland, as we will only be there for ten days. Do any of you have tips on what to eat, see, do, visit, wear? I am particularly thinking of the weather - I've heard you really need to pack for all seasons, especially as we are going to an ice cave. I'm wondering what layers and footwear will be most practical? So very excited!

Monday 13 jun - Reykjavik - Blue Lagoon; Museum; Cathedral
Tuesday - Laugarvatn - Thingvellir; Gulfoss; Geysir
Wednesday - Borgarnes - Langjokell ice cave (booked); Museum; Vidgelmir lava tube
Thursday - Stykkisholmur - Snaefellsjokull national park
Friday - Stykkisholmur - Snaefellsjokull national park
Saturday - Reykjavik - Viking festival; anything we missed on the way up
Sunday 19 jun - London   

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Oh you lucky thing, Iceland is my favourite place in the entire world! I think when I was there I just wore my trusty Docs and took coats, jumpers etc in the car. We went in July/August and jumpers were definitely needed on some days, especially by the waterfalls. You might want to take an eye mask for sleeps what with the sun setting later - when we were there it never went properly dark but I'm not sure what it's like in June.

We took a boat trip on the glacial lagoon at Jokulsarlon which was pretty cool.
The Phallological Museum is a must!
I've heard good things about The Museum of Sorcery and Witchcraft, not sure if it was open when I was there a few years ago...
The Ghost Centre/Icelandic Wonders in Stokkseyri is fun.

Eat Skyr (not quite as exciting now you can get it in supermarkets here!), freshly caught langoustines (Pakkhus in Hofn does a killer langoustine pizza) and drink Brennivin.

Have fun!

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

ooooh, Iceland! Everyone should go there at least once in their lifetime. And in my not very humble opinion: Dimmu Borgir is the best part of it. I also really liked Akureyri and Skagafjöršur. Northern Iceland ftw!
The Blue Lagoon is a bit overrated in my opinion, but it might be I just got jaded after working there for three months and finding out that there are lots of lovely warm lakes in various mountain spots where there are no other people around.

I second the penis-museum as a must-see.

Must-drinks are "Svartadaudir" (spiced booze, which taste pretty vile) and "Reyka" (vodka, which taste lovely). I think the distillery of the latter one is in Borgarnes?

There is also a very traditional dish called "Kęstur hįkarl", which I never got around to taste as I never achieved the right balance of drunkenness. My aim: "drunk-enough-to-dare-the-creatively-fermented-shark" always tipped over into "too-drunk-to-walk"....

I think the most important thing to bring to Iceland is good mountain boots. Because the place is mostly rock i.e. pretty hard on your feet and footwear, and the nature is amazing so you will want to go exploring. Without your trip being ruined by sore feet and twisted ankles (Also, those mountain boots will be handy when you come visit me some day ;) ) Amazing woolen socks, sweaters and such can be bought in Iceland, so not sure if you need to pack much of that, but you probably will want a windbreaker/raincoat. Reykjavik have some great vintage stores, so I'd save some space in the suitcase for shopping...

Picking up the Reykjavik Grapevine was a must when I lived there, and nowadays they are an online magazine: http://grapevine.is/

Also: Bring some Icelandic Sagas to read while you are there. It is really cool to read about the medieval action that happened in the places you visit there, since the landscape usually is quite far from modern it is easy to imagine the people of old into it.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This is making me want to go back to Iceland, it's a lovely country, I went in I think june or july 6 years ago, I can't remember the names of any of the places we went though! Weather wise though it was pretty similar, a little colder but not a lot and light very late.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us