Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Going Away to Uni Present?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Going Away to Uni Present?

In September my sister should be heading off to uni, and so I was planning on making a sort of 'uni survival kit' to give her before she goes, but am struggling to think of what to put in it. So far I'm thinking basic 'student-y foods', nice stationary, fairy lights, sewing kit and maybe a plant or two.

Anyone got any other ideas? I feel like she'll want to get most typical things (like kitchen stuff etc.) herself, so this is mostly going to be non-essential, fun/ nice things she might not initially think of. Anything specific to her course (veterinary medicine) would also be nice, but I'm stuck for ideas.

Also, any London specific ideas would be great, as I have no idea how different going to uni in London is (do most students have an oyster card? would a card holder be a good idea?)

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Regular Crew

Date:

Maybe a nice homemade satchel of dried lavender or something else nice smelling for her new dorm? (I figured the satchel would be a better idea than say, a candle or incense, since burning things is most probably a huge no no.)

I'm afraid I'm not based in London, but Vic I believe went to Uni in London and she might know about the places there! :D

They/Them pronouns plox

~Essick's tumblr~Essick's website~

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

^^You believe correctly!

Inky, I'm going through the same thing this year. For my sister I'm going to fill a tote bag with Cards Against Humanity, fairy lights, a few framed photos (us as babies, her with mum and dad, a group photo of her with her friends), sweets, and I've also got her a massive map to stick on the wall as she's going to be a geography student.

For your sister, a cute oyster card wallet is invaluable! I have one with three panels in which has actually taken over as my regular wallet - it has enough slots for my driving license and student ID, oyster card and railcard, and bank card with some folded notes. This shop do a good range, but if you want something specific for a future vet you might be able to buy one online from London Zoo or the Natural History museum. Other good Londony things would be a tube and/or bus map, or a gift card so if she has a smartphone, she can get the premium version of an app (the name of which I can't remember) which has tube maps + updates, and connects to your oyster card so she can check her balance.  See if you can find a microwaveable teddy bear or something (I have a cow and a bunny) which are super helpful for PMS cramps and for the winter, and if she drinks get her a deck of cards because that's a staple for a lot of drinking games.

From what I can gather having now studied at Leeds as well, is that the only difference with studying in London is that it's hella expensive, so a voucher for a Starbucks or something might be nice!

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Lush Guru

Date:

It might be nice to give some food stuffs that are a bit more expensive but would make normal, cheapy student foods nicer? Like, a jar of sundried tomatoes/tomato paste if she's into that or some fancy-ish baking goodies if she's into that.

My mum would do me a basics/store cupboard shop each term so I had the normal foods (pasta/tinned toms/non-perishables) but the nice extras were stuff I could only afford once in a blue moon. I almost always bought good parmesan with extra money I had.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

What about a cd (or a mix on a USB drive). It could be songs that will make her think of pleasant memories or help her relax and feel safe when she hits her first Uni stressful moments. It could also be a mix on songs on the theme of new beginning/happiness.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ That being said a USB drive is pretty helpful to use for work too! I know both at my home college and when abroad I could only print in certain areas, so I'd always backup my work onto my flashdrive to be easily portable and as a safeguard. Personally I'd recommend getting one that is at least 2gb; they aren't very expensive and anything smaller ends up being a pain.

In other student-type things, how about just a small collection of desk supplies? It's easy to forget until you need them - a stapler (saved me many many times to have my own), paper clips, pencils/pens/highlighters, sticky notes (great for marking pages, study notes & leaving notes for roommates). If she's the type to use it, a small daily planner/calender to write assignments in is great as well.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Meant to reply to this earlier, but exams got in the way, but you've all got such great ideas.

Went shopping as an end of exam treat today so got a few things.
I found a pass holder with a London tube map print in Paperchase, and thought it must have been a sign, also got some nice fairy lights, couple of scented hand sanitisers for her bag and one of those organiser things you hang on a door or wall with pockets to put things in.

Essick - unfortunately you're right about candles, otherwise that would have been perfect, but something to make the room smell nice does sound like a good idea, unfortunately she doesn't like the smell of lavender to a satchel of that is out. But I'll have a look and see if I can find or make anything similar though.

Vic - Can't believe I didn't think of a deck of cards, and I'll definitely look for a microwaveable teddy.

Alka - Another thing I probably should have thought of, can't think of anything nice that she likes a lot, but I'll have a think/ watch what she eats when I'm at home.

Wyno - That's such a lovely idea, we have quite different music tastes so I'm not sure what I'd put on it, but it's definitely something I'll consider.

Lemonslimes - I remember how long it took me to buy a stapler, and the improvising in the meantime got interesting so that's a great idea and I think a planner/ calendar would be invaluable, so I'll keep my eye out for a nice one.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Haven't got any ideas (I suck!) but just wanted to add to what lemonslimes said about a USB - with your sister wanting to be a vet, there are plenty of little animal USBs out there which would be cute as well as helpful.

This idea is boring maybe, but summer is coming up. I haven't gone to uni but when I was living in a student house with my ex and her four uni going pals, summer was hellish because nobody owned a fan. Maybe one of those USB fans would be an idea, you get cute little coloured ones and they help more than you'd think (definitely more than portable battery operated ones.)

Maybe some nice bath/shower stuff that she wouldn't be able to afford often on a student budget?

Good luck, it's a really sweet idea :)

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

My older brother wrote me a book of tips that he learned from university/trying to adult in general when I graduated high school. Stuff like, "build your credit now by getting a card and making a few small purchases a month and paying it all off on time", and "our parents never taught us snacking control, so here's how to know when you need to put down the bag of chips".

He wrote it out and even illustrated parts of it himself, so may be a route to go if you feel you have enough life advice to be passing on. :)

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us