Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Interior Design (or, what to do with this place)

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:
Interior Design (or, what to do with this place)

So I'm personally at a point in my life where I'm going to be living all by my lonesome in an apartment that has more room than most of the places I've shared with people since starting uni (yay). Problem is, I have no idea where to start as far as making it feel like a home (boo).

Since moving out of my parent's place I've always lived by a motto best summed up as, "travel light". As I'd find a new place every 6 months at best, I got used to never really decorating, and only owning what was essential or could be shoved in a box easily because I am a lazy packer of things. 

But now that's changing, and while I have an idea of where I wanna start making my home for the next few years more "home-like", I wondered what you all do personally to make a place to come home to and get the warm fuzzies from. Or, what do you do to make your space uniquely yours?

-- Edited by Izil on Thursday 5th of March 2015 09:00:33 PM

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Trinkets. I loved my old bookshelves in my flat cos I had the books spread out with little things dotted amongst them and big heavy items used as bookends.

Lights or candles as decoration round door frames or along shelves.

There was an article, was it on Mooky, about using fabric behind bookshelves to put colour on walls without having to paint/repaint.

Photographs. I don't think anything personalises a space more than pictures of you, your mates, family etc.

Cushions on the sofa, who doesn't love comfy cushions. Go to places like Home Bargains/ B&M who do lots of funky styles for not much money. Don't buy everything from Ikea unless you want to live in an Ikea house!

Check out charity shops for quirky bits of furniture. Decide what you are going for first ie coffee table and small book shelf otherwise you will be tempted by that really cheap dining table and chairs and that lamp looks awesome (buy the lamp, everyone needs lamps). Lol!

Good luck, living by yourself is awesome fun!

Date:

Aaaaah, I'm actually really excited to go thrifting for furniture! I've comes across really quirky pieces in the past and had to let them go for lack of place to put it. Whole new reason to do one of my favorite things...yessssss! :)

I'll probably have to take someone to help me keep my head about as we shop, because I've never had to shop for more than the bedroom I'd be staying in. Right now I've looked online and more than once my brain has gone, "I dunno, JUST GET ALL THE THINGS!"

Seems it runs out of constructive ideas after, "I can get things to put all of the books out! OMG!"

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Buy less, choose well. In your situation it is easy to get carried away, buy a lot of stuff and end up with cluttered instead of personal and cozy. Of course, cluttered is also an interior style, and if that is what works for you just ignore everything I write :) Given free hands, I'd personally to for a kind of Scandinavian wabi sabi approach -leave a lot of space empty so that the things I really find beautiful gets the attention. Plants, my books, my moominmugs, a basket with yarn and some candles is what I need to feel at home. Add some pieces of lovely old furniture, stuff I find in nature and some art prints and I'm a happy panda.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yay homeliness! I'm a big fan of Emma's advice- my house is full of books, trinkets, antiques and picture frames (I have far far faaaar too many photos on display!). My main piece of advice would be to only buy things you are 100% sure you like. When Jack and I moved in together, Jack had LOADS of crap that was bought to make the place "homely", but they didn't actually like it. When we went about buying furniture together, I have a stronger aesthetic than Jack, but I agreed to buy things I didn't 100% want because it was okay, and Jack seemed to think was alright. Now, less than 2 years on, we're trying to replace furniture neither of us like on a very limited budget! It's much easier to buy something for the first time than replace it, and have to find out what you're doing with the old one- if you aren't sure, hold off.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Contrarily to Irilar, my decorating style is more on the cluttering side. Like Spikey, I like bookshelves containing not only books but lots of pretty little things and souvenirs. In my first flat, we made bookshelves with milk boxes, bricks and wood planks.

I have a wall in my house decorated with a bunch of hats, scarves, Turkish slippers and small handbags. It's beautiful and it encourages me to wear them more often than I would do if they would just be in a box or a closet. I used nails and thumbtacks but you can use adhesive hooks if you don't want holes in your walls.

Empty bottles are your friends when you want to decorate on a budget. You can use them to hold candles, display jewelry, put string lights inside to get a warm lightning or you can just put lots of different bottles on a shelf. My uncle has an entire wall with shelves and bottles. There must be at least a hundred different ones, it's very pretty.

If you can't find curtains that you like for a reasonable price, you can always put shower curtains in your windows. They're often cheaper and some of them have very interesting designs.

I remember going to a couple of thrift shop with my friends when we got our first flat. If you think outside the box, you can find unusual uses for certain objects. We had a big floor-standing ashtray with a plant on top and a really cheesy painting of a deer that we turned into a notice-board. Oh, and three old vintage suitcases piled up to make a coffee table.

With time and creativity, the possibilities are endless. I wish you lots of fun shopping, transforming and creating your new own home! :)

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Lush Guru

Date:

If you can do without some bits of furniture then I suggest holding off until you find something you REALLY love. We were going to be given a sofa which then fell through so we had to buy one and ended up with one that is comfortable but pretty uggo and I would like to either recover or replace.

If you're set for furniture and just want to jazz things up, cushions are a sofa's best friend, it's relatively easy to recover/paint dining chairs and you can blackboard paint the fuck out of any small table and make it awesome (if you ask me).

I guess you have to decide whether you have a theme, or an specific aesthetic or whether you just want things to come together naturally. Like we have all the instruments in one room so that they are within arms reach when The Captain wants to play them, and having them on display creates an obvious room-theme, but it's born from practicality

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I loooove interior design but I move so often and can only use what I can find on the street or make so my style is very ramshackle. People purposefully go for this aesthetic though. They buy bare brick walled apartments and call it "shabby chic". Except my version is "squat chic" and I live in actual poverty :'). One thing I have learnt from living with people who constantly pick up "useful" things from the street and out of bins is APPRECIATE EMPTY SPACE. Space is not there to be filled, it's there to move around and exist in. I like the look of artfully arranged clutter but in my personal space I limit it to certain areas because I feel like too much clutters my mind. Neutral colours work if you can't decide what to do colour scheme wise - then you can add brighter more specific colours or themes with objects/upholstery which is easier to change with your mood/personal aesthetic than re-painting.

Date:

I definitely had thoughts of trying for a more "shabby" vibe. My adult life of constantly moving/extended couch surfing has definitely left me craving a different looks from the places I've mostly been in (usually variants of "grandma's ugly, undying wallpaper" or "white walls get the job done"). Am definitely looking forward to being the master of my own space as well, as clutter and I are only so friendly. As long as the chaos is controlled and relegated to certain areas, it's cool, but I do love my space for stretching and moving freely. :)

I move in this week, so the real fun will begin soon. I will most likely post pics in a few weeks as things come together.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us