Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Altars and Other Sacred Home Spaces

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Altars and Other Sacred Home Spaces

So!  Thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can share our home altar spaces and similar - whether it's a simple but meaningful cross hanging on a wall, a particular tree or rock in the garden or an elaborate decorated shrine, I often feel like the sacred spaces people create in their own homes can be so interesting and lovely.  Also, on a more selfish point, I do love checking out other people's sacred spaces for ideas on how to improve my own!

I'll go first!

tumblr n7h9zdwmv Y1rqh8i1o1 1280

My space is a work in progress right now.  I cleared out a build-in corner cabinet that was previously housing my rock collection (ignore top two shelves covered in stuffed toys!).  The other half is still working out which deities, if any, he personally wants represented so for now it's just my main two.  I'm using an Odin tree topper I made for Yule last year for now - want to remake a smaller one that will fit on the shelf better, and I plan to make a matching Loki one, too. 

I got the Loki print from an amazing Deviantart artist.  Unfortunately the smallest print available turned out to be too large to fit in the altar itself so he is just outside it for now.  I've also got a cute little mushroom house/candle burner I received in a craft swap years ago, and a pair of little peg doll housewight figurines that live in it.  Just out of sight behind them is a little Granny Weatherwax/Tiffany Aching postcard.  My scented oils, spare candles and incense are also stored on that shelf.

Changes since the photos were taken include:  The single dry red rose is now accompanied by a pair of dry white roses in a little bundle.  My trilobite fossil now sits to the left of the offering plate.

I'd like to do more with it, but it's difficult to decide what exactly. 

My Crafting Blog 

My Writing Blog 

My feminism and stuff Tumblr 

My body-pos and selfies Tumblr

mazonas.png

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

oooh, nice

I'm not likely to ever make myself a home altar as I'm rather obsessed with nature in general (and trees in particular) and are lucky enough to live in the forest, but it nice to see other people's :)

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh, I love this thread! My old altar never got very far because I move a few months after setting it up, and I haven't yet set one up here, but here are some pics of my old one.

here

and some closeups here, including one of my favourite tarot decks. 

My tarot decks and crystals are kind of tucked away, but you might be able to spot them. also got the wheel of the year, meaningful knickknacks (including some from various mooks!), photos and pictures, candles, fresh flowers, etc. I can't wait to set a new altar up.

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

^^ Oh, how lovely! I love how it's incredibly pretty in terms of arrangement but you can tell that sweet little set-up gets *used*

I no longer have an altar - when I do, I do a lot of stuff on the move - all I work with is a pen and paper or whatever's to hand, really. I do stuff with gateposts and you can find gates and entry/exit points anywhere. But I do have a collection of inspirational things. More of a curiosity corner, perhaps. But the things there have all got used at one point or another. Will take a pic soon.

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Thanks Magda! It's always so interesting to see different altars because as well as finding out what other people like having on theirs, you also see so many different styles of altar! I think they give a nice glimpse into the owners' personalities. I like mine being cute and pretty (and even a bit chaotic...) because it makes me want to use it more -- I used to go and sit by that altar even when I wasn't using it, just to clear my head. It became a very comforting place so when I was using it, it just felt right :)

Date:

Here's my special corner! The Fortuna container was made by a dear friend and is my most beloved item, a shared item that many people have worked with at different times. It's like a wooden cooking spoon that picks up all the flavours of the things it's made! I have to confess the 1930s truncheon hanging down has been used never but it seemed the right place for it. The dice are used often - in fact they normally travel in my bag. And the corner itself is always there... http://www.mookychick.co.uk/images/mk-altar.png

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I wish I photographed my little mini altar I had when I was a young teenager. It was so fucking excellent, and something I wish I had documented! It was inside this weird lilac bean-shaped dressing table that we found in a skip, and it had so many little bits and bobs on it, including a tiny chemistry beaker with rosemary in it, and lots of coloured ribbons.

I love seeing other people's special corners.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm revisiting this thread because I'm longing to set up my new altar. I'm waiting for my new bed to be delivered (I've been without a bed since mine broke ages ago...) so I can see how things will fit. It should finally be coming tomorrow though, hooray :)

Magda, I'm absolutely in love with that doll with the wings. Sorry if this is totally ignorant but who/what is it? It's one of the most incredible things I've ever seen! I'm also looking for a palmistry hand, I've wanted one for ages but they've always been too expensive. It only occurred to me to check amazon after seeing yours and they're much more reasonable there so within my budget ^_^ I see a similar one to yours there, I really like the one you've got so I was just wondering where you got it?

Little sidenote, I've fallen in love with a new tarot deck, the deck of pagan cats or something like that (I'd check the name but I don't want to lose this post). It's so lovely! But I've barely used my most recent deck so I can't really justify buying a new one yet. Guess it'll be my next deck though :) I love tarot.

Date:

^ Candy, it all sounds amazing, if only such finery had been documented. Chemical beaker with rosemary = genius.

^ Peyton - oh, Eibhe the bird girl... she is the only piece of art I've EVER commissioned and I felt like a real grown-up doing it! I got her off a mooky contributor called Jo Anne Yada who used to write really cool crafty how-tos for Mookychick and she'd never really had anyone ask to buy art she'd made before, so we were both thrilled. Google her name and you'll find her site! Eibhe has had some adventures I can tell you. She crossed the Atlantic FOUR times because neither me nor Jo Anne could figure out how the transatlantic delivery guidelines worked. I said I needed something really foresty, really slavic, and Eibhe is what I got. I love her and I'm glad you do, too. It is so exciting that you're thinking new-altar thoughts. Enjoy :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Once we had an altar in our squat. It was humble, giving praise to the power of power tools and the spirit of political criminality and mischief of queer squatter witches, the crowbar sisterhood. (1) (2)

-- Edited by electrosexual on Saturday 13th of September 2014 03:40:19 AM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ that's so awesome and cute in a weird way. I love it.
I want to set up an altar of some sort, it sounds like a lovely idea, I'm not spiritual so I'd never thought of it before about it doesn't have to be a spiritual thing.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah I mean I'm an atheist but into witchcraft. I don't really practice it as often as I like these days or know what this means about my 'spirituality' but I think to me magic is honouring relationships, acknowledging your own strength, passing on knowledge and skills and realising the power and agency you actually possess - basically just ritualising your life to have a point of focus. It's like how writing helps people work through their emotions. I think to me witchcraft is a means to work through things, project it outwardly or give it some physical shape (altar/talisman/how your body movements and speech fill the room when you do a spell) it's a similar process to creating art, making life and ideas easier to deal with/conceptualise. I mean there's no belief in deities behind my witchcraft/altar building but maybe that still counts a ~spirituality~ in a loose sense.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm gonna revive this thread from two years ago because this thought was on my mind today.

I use my nightstand as my alter. While my spiritual practices are largely inherited from my mom/grandmother, I also inherited some of their "you should be able to hide your alter in plain site so no one can desecrate it/accuse you of witchcraft" which seems silly now, but for my grandmother it was a very real fear. She would not call what she did witchcraft, either.

I was wondering: how many of you use your alter for dual-purpose tasks?

By that, I mean, do you keep it reserved strictly for spiritual purposes or do you use it for mundane tasks as well? (I'm mostly looking at you, people living in a small apartment.)

My nightstand is infront of an east-facing window but by nature of it's placement it's also closest to my bed. I often rest a drink cup and my glasses on there at night simply because the other options are inconvenient.I'm not crazy about doing this because I like the idea of having a "sacred" space but I'm pressed for options right now.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A few months ago I set up my first 'proper' altar, after fifteen years of practising in secrecy (urgh am I that old) and using a bookshelf or a windowsill with other mundane objects on it. (Well, about a year ago I tried to set one up, but someone kept deliberately going out of their way to desecrate it, but whatever.)

It's in the corner of our study, which he uses for music practice as well as giving lessons, and I use as an office. I thought I'd be a bit nervous initially about his students seeing it, but I don't mind too much as long as they're respectful. It has nothing 'witchy' on it (no caldron, no athame, no wand) but, unlike its predecessors, it is fairly obviously a sacred space.

I would post a picture, but unfortunately it's covered in cat hair at the moment because she's obsessed with playing with a statue I have. A good excuse to give it a clean off, at least.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us