Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: How I Met Your Mother

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
How I Met Your Mother

Seriously, noone has a thread about this already!  Or search is broken.

Anyway, it's final episode aired tonight (in the UK) and I feel seriously ripped off.  I came to the show late, as I usually do with these things but I have watched many, many episodes...I might have to start at the beginning and watch in order cos E4 likes to throw them around randomly.

Best of times, worst of times, funniest episode etc...

I bawl my eyes out every time I watch Marshal's dad's funeral, or more specifically the scene he listens to the voicemail then rants about it being a pocket dial.  Everyone in that scene is perfect. 

I love seeing college Lily and Marshal.  I adore Robin Sparkles.  I loved all the clues about what kind of person the Mother was.  I love Barney and the playbook and high fives.

I did NOT want it to be Ted and Robin.  Just no.  So he found her necklace, so he stole the blue french horn, she only thought he might be the one she should be with cos she freaked out about marrying Barney.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My biggest problem with the ending was this: The story, ultimately, ended up about Robin. Not, Tracey, not even Ted. I think in a way, that was a disservice to the fans, and a disservice to Tracey's character because the name of the show was 'How I Met Your Mother' - and that held a very specific expectation, y'know?

I will say this, though. I take a shocking amount of life advice from that show - the biggest and most true to life, for me, I've found is: 'Nothing good happens after 2am. Go home.' If I had adhered to that a little more I probably would have made better life decisions this year!

Also I want to be good enough friends with a group of people that I can implement the slap bet. I really, really want to do that.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I watched it right from the very beginning (I seriously recommend going back to the very beginning and watching in order, but you definitely get sucked into their little world!)

I read about the ending when it aired in America so I know all of the spoilers, and I find it to be a complete cop out. Okay, so the writers knew the ending before they started the series... then WHY write so much character development that goes in such a different direction? For the twist? It's not really a twist if it goes against everything the characters have developed into and realised over the course of several years...

Bleh.

Anyway, I kind of refuse to watch the last episode. I haven't seen any of the last series because I wanted to wait for it all to be out so I could watch it all at once, but I might just stop short of the last episode and pretend it doesn't happen.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Vic, Meg and I watched the final episode a day after it aired in the US out and we were so pissed off! I loved Robin and Barney and hated Robin and Ted. Just...no. Also, Ted is really pathetic. Booo.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yes, that is exactly it. The final scene might have worked if the show had finished a few series back or if Robin had left the show earlier or something.

Do you know what, it would have been perfect if they had ended at that scene on the platform with them talking but done all the flash forwarding stuff over the final series so that you got all the future stuff and ended at when he met their mother, right there. That *moment*.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I watched it the day after it aired in America and nearly cried tears of rage.
Saw loads of spoof titles on the internet such as 'How I Met The Uterus That Provided Me With The Children I Wanted Whilst I Waited For Robin To Want Me Again'

They had so much room for development with the mother and how they just turned Lily into a babymaker, they didn't even give their third child a name.
I can't believe they destroyed such a good show in one episode!

Forget the horror here.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I would have loved to see more of Barney and daughter.

edit:  i have just realised something.  What's that Ryan Reynolds film....the one where he is telling his daughter about his ex girlfriends from before he met her mother...it has the Aussie woman...argh...imdb...Definitely, Maybe.  It is that!  But in series form and the film does it really well cos at the beginning he is already split from the mother so you know it has to be going somewhere else!

-- Edited by Spikeyfaerie on Thursday 17th of July 2014 11:09:27 PM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I love that movie btw

but yer I always felt that Robin an ted were just wrong, Robin and barney made sense, the only thing I actually liked about this series was when they tied up a few of the subplots etc

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Capulett wrote:

I will say this, though. I take a shocking amount of life advice from that show - the biggest and most true to life, for me, I've found is: 'Nothing good happens after 2am. Go home.' If I had adhered to that a little more I probably would have made better life decisions this year!

I also like the 'Nothing good happens after 2am. Go home.' advice. It saved me a couple of times.

Like all of you I hated the ending but loved the show. I also always take great pleasure quoting Barney, my favorite quote is: I request the highest of fives. I probably use that sentence a little too often but it has the power to put a huge smile on the face of a kid who have low self confidence, a friend who did something great or a lover after frisky business... 

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Honoured Mook

Date:

I haven't seen the final episode yet but I think I'll be fairly disappointed in it. Especially because I really loved Robyn and Barney together.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I would've loved to have seen all of the kids grown up, teds, Marshall and lilys an barneys
it kinda felt like they were an after thought

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Honoured Mook

Date:

I really didn't like it! =( The Mother was the best character in the whole show, and Ted did not deserve her.

Apparently they're doing a spin-off called How I Met Your Father, from Tracy's PoV =S

Sophie

The world is quiet here ...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I wouldn't mind that too much if it was to do with her. Her episodes about her history, as brief as they were, were actually some of my favorites. I really connected with her character, which is actually a big triumph for the writers because they only had a season to give a face to this almost mythical 'perfect' (for Ted) woman. To have everyone fall in love with her and for her not to fall short is actually pretty impressive!

(I am so passionate about Tracey McConnell. Oh my days.)

Honoured Mook

Date:

She's really awesome on every level. Maybe it wasn't so hard because all of Teds exes are awful.

Sophie

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I kind of liked Victoria. I didn't think she was too awful. I thought How I Met Your Father wasn't picked up for production and that it would have been a totally different person, so not Tracey.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh really? Rubbish. I would have so watched that. 

Yeah Victoria was ok I guess. I just really hate Ted. he's such a whiney shitbag who is such a bad person that even though his best friend is marrying Robin, he still tries to win her. Jerk.

Sophie

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Hated the last episode. What a load of balls!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

vimeo.com/91970900. Inside The Actors Studio!!

Lush Guru

Date:

WATCHED IT LAST NIGHT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT? I KNEW WHAT HAPPENED AND I STEAL FEEL CHEATED.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Watched the last episode again and, I AM EVEN ANGRIER THAN BEFORE. You could watch the first episode and the last two and that's pretty much all you need. Tracey deserved more. SHE DESERVED BETTER, WRITERS.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

She deserved a proper death/funeral at least!

I was reading the comments after an article about the final episode (shite article basically just recapping the plot and saying some people liked it, others didn't). So this one person was saying how it was a good ending cos Tracey is with her great love (the guy who died) and Ted got Robin who was always his great love. But I think that is balls. If Robin was Ted's great love and not just his fall back option when he got bored of looking then why did THE UNIVERSE go to such great lengths to leave all the little clues about Tracey and have him date her roommate so he would see her belongings and leave his/her umbrella in order that he would recognise it and realise that THIS is the woman he has been looking for his WHOLE LIFE?!

Someone else had a very good point that they ruined Barney, making him go back to the sleazy, womanising guy he was in early series compared to the thoughtful, caring Barney he had become. In my opinion, the only reason that he would have done that would be if he was still in love with Robin and was self-destructing to try and forget about her. In which case she was HIS true love.

Oh and I really hadn't expected Robin to even still be living in that apartment given how absent she became from the group after the divorce. How did Ted even know what kind of person Robin was now? She showed up to a couple of big moments but, by their own admission, the gang never saw her anymore. Why is she Aunt Robin and the kids act like they see her loads and love her? Why would she be more oresent in their lives than she had been with her BEST FRIEND?! So many questions?!

I just want to know, did the cast read the script and actually think it was a good ending?!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

^I think casts are kind of obliged to say that they like what the writers are doing, to a certain extent. I've seen them vaguely defending it on social media, but I can't get on board with it at all.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I read that Josh Radnor did query with the writers about sticking to the original ending so I think he must have been a bit :-/ at it.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Oh that's interesting. I'll have to seek that out. I can see why they had to defend it when it was coming out because the whole idea is to end the series on a big fuzzy warm whatever... but yeah, it would be very interesting to see if any of them have come forward with their hesitations about it since...

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us