Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: My friend is doing A Thing

Lush Guru

Date:
My friend is doing A Thing

Hello.

My friend Rob is doing A Thing. He's lovely, and funny, and a very good writer and is going to write an article or blog or something about sexism in music. HOWEVER, he is a boy and quite a beefy/manly one at that and so he just doesn't have the experience that lovely ladies/NBs do. He is looking for people who are not men to tell him about sexism they have experienced at gigs. Here is what he says:

"

Ladies! (and gents, although something tells me there will be far fewer responses from you)

Following on from Staindgate and that 'divisive' piece by the singer from Candy Hearts, I'm writing A Thing about sexism/sexual harassment at gigs and festivals and in the music scene generally. If you've got any experiences you'd be happy to share with me for this please drop me a message - I won't quote you by name.

These are the events/articles I'm referring to btw:

http://bullettmedia.com/article/stop-molesting-women-concerts/

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/how-to-survive-being-the-only-girl-in-a-band"

Now, I do think this will be a great article, and if you would like to contribute, send me your stories in a PM and I'll pass them on. I've got to admit, however, that part of me wants to just bombard him with tales of stuff that happens EVERY FUCKING TIME because I'm not sure he really GETS IT yet. If that makes sense.

I'm awful. Bring it on!

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I do not know if this is relevant and tell me off if I'm overstepping here, but I've been to a lot of concerts. I've been to concerts where my feet have left the ground, I almost got trampled once because the people around me were inexperienced fuckwits who didn't know how to behave, I've been to concerts where people have been injured and even one where several people got killed.
But I have never ever experienced any kind of sexual harassment at a gig.

So here is when I'm getting rude: Because almost all the concerts I've been to have been in the Nordic countries, and my personal experience from going outside this cultural sphere is that sexual harassment is a lot more likely to happen in the anglosphere I'm tempted to jump to the conclusion that this isn't a general problem of the music scene as much as it is huge cultural problem that spills over into the music scene?

Of course, my evidence is anecdotal and as such must be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm left with the impression that public sexual harassment is more accepted in places like for example England than here?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Lush Guru

Date:

That's really interesting Irilar, thank you! I hadn't considered that it was part of the problem and had just spilled over into the music scene. I will pass that on to my friend as well.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us