Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Alternative Religions: Where are they in your bookshops?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Alternative Religions: Where are they in your bookshops?

Sandwiched between the 'proper religions' and the 'conspiracy theories'? Somewhere near 'health' that's far enough away from The Bibles that no one could confuse which you were looking at? Inexplicably on that shelf at the bottom of the stack containing 'local interest' 'true crime' 'conspiracy theories' and 'self help'?

Where are the books on alternative religions (by this I mean anything but Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism, but including less mainstream and more controversial elements of these religions) in your bookshops? And where do you think they should be?

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I'm not quite sure, I can't remember seeing a separate section for religious books in ordinary bookshops. I think they are usually distributed into other sections like history, self help and such. Which is fine by me, I like culture to be secular :)

If anything, I think that alternative religions are usually more prominent in bookshops than mainstream religions. I wouldn't even know how to find a bible without asking the staff, but I'm quite sure that some new age stuff would be relatively prominent. I'd guess that new age books have novelty interest, while books from mainstream religion are less in demand? I mean, it's not every generation you need a new bible.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

They're all in the spirituality section of the bookshop I usually go to, alongside the mainstream religions. But some of the other, smaller shops either don't have a section at all, or tend to throw anything other than Christianity/Judaism/Islam in with books on yoga, diet and self help books.

Honoured Mook

Date:

The only "alternative religion" books I seem to see in bookshops are the Dummy's Guide to Wicca. Distinct lack of them, unless gift shops have a book section from my experience.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I usually find them in the Mind, Body & Spirit section :)

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us