Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Hair care on a dime.

Regular Crew

Date:
Hair care on a dime.

So ladies and gents, i am setting a challenge that i hope others will get in on, i am trying to compile a list of hair care products for all hair types that are both cheap and that work!

But more importantly; cruelty free!!

I find it difficult to find products that are cheap, make my hair feel clean, smell nice, lasting scent and cruelty free

I've tried the Lush shampoos and conditioners, my hair doesn't feel as clean and as silly as it sounds i like my shampoo and conditioners to have scents that match

I do like the shampoo bars though, i'd love if they came out with matching conditioners!!

My hair is very long and very thick and prone to getting oilycry

Any suggestions?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Did you ever use Godiva by Lush? It's the yellow one. It's a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner. Though it may not be great for you because as far as I know it's for quite dry hair? I could be wrong though. I'm a firm believer in the more you wash your hair, the more you *have* to wash it. So I would suggest, in conjunction with finding products that suit your hair, that you try washing and conditioning it only around 3-4 times a week. It can be tough to resist the urges though :P

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I use organix shampoo/conditioner. Cheap, good.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I like to use a coconut oil mask on my hair every so often. It might seem counterproductive if your hair's oily, but I find it neutralises things. My favourite method is melting a glob in the microwave, mashing a banana, maybe adding a small bit of extra virgin olive oil and some oatmeal if it needs thickening up, sticking it back in the micro and then plastering it on my hair. It works wonders! You can also just use plain coconut oil if you're feeling lazy though :) oh, and best part is it doesn't have a smell so you can add your own scents if you like, that way you can match your shampoo?

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Regular Crew

Date:

Th cheapest and, probably, healthiest way to keep your hair in good health is using natural ingredients. Those in your kitchen.

I am easily seduced by brands, nice smells and cute packages but it costs money and sometimes I can't afford them!

Vinegar for cleansing and shine, mayonnaise and eggs for deep condition with protein and wam olive oil for moisture :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

All Superdrugs own brand stuff is cruelty free, cheap as chips and there's enough variety of stuff that most people could probably find the right thing for them. For slightly upmarket, the Naked range (available at Boots) is vegan, cruelty free and most excellent. All completely natural ingredients etc.

Sophie

The world is quiet here ...

Lush Guru

Date:

^Superdrug do a coconut oil range which is actually really lovely, and each item is about 2.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Boots used to do a really delightful and cheap henna range, but I think it's gone now :( I used to use Timotet (emmm...) when I was broke, and it was passable as well as peanut-y cheap, but I don't miss it.

My hair would be similar to yours, Jayde - long and oily, and the individual strands are thick (but you wouldn't think it because I don't have a lot of hair or something?) and my scalp is sensitive. It can be a rather nightmarish combination so I've been rotating through the same few Lush items religiously for the past ten years or so (Jumping Juniper all the way!) so I can't really vouch for many cheaper brands. However, I've used Godiva loads of times - it's not as heavy as you'd imagine so it didn't weight my hair down at all, and it smells divine. And Big now has a matching, absolutely lovely conditioner, but the two together are expensive. Worth it if you've got the cash, though.

The one other thing I've done is make my own hair thingies - Peyton's coconut recipe sounds rather fab yes! - and for a lovely smell/ shine rinse thing, mix a few healthy tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with the same amount of floral water (lavendar or rose are probably nicest) with some dried flowers of the same, and top it up with three times as much (perhaps more if you've buckets of hair) of water, shake, leave it overnight, shake again, strain, spray in your hair, leave for a bit, wash it out. If you find the vinegar smell a little overpowering, don't leave it out as it's truly a magic ingredient - add a few drops of essential oil instead. Lovely locks ahoy.

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Wash the hair in cold water, not hot. It does wonders and it is free.

And MissChris' apple cider vinegar advice is fabulous. I once managed to get into a good routine of washing my hair with cold water and vinegar, no soaps, and that did wonders.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That sounds lovely, Chris! Vinegar rinses also help to lock dye in - I have one that runs when washing for a month+ after dyeing, it's ridiculous, and vinegar even helps with that nightmare so I'm sure it'll do the job for more normal dyes.

PS Chris if you ever get around to trying my little fave, make sure it's quite hot. It seems to work better that way and it feels nice and luxurious :p

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us