Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Spritz - would you read a book like this?

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:
Spritz - would you read a book like this?

If you haven't seen it already have a look at this:

http://www.spritzinc.com

What do you think? Would you? I would be interested in using it for things I didn't want to read very much but had to.

If you don't mind I was thinking I could collect any feedback you have into an anonimook article like we did for short hair. That might be a nice thing to do.

Um. A few minutes later after reading at 500wpm and I'm still feeling a bit blinky...

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Ooh, this is brilliant! It doesn't work very on the lowest speeds for me -it feels like listening to someone with a bad stammer talking, but when turned up to 400-450 wpm it is really smooth. I could definitively read a book like that.

The most interesting possibility in this for me though, is to turn it up on really high speeds and go through those academic articles and books that you have to skim in order to find out if there is anything useful there. It is very promising as a research tool.

Secondly, I imagine it would be quite nifty for old people whose eyes are tired (I remember my grandpa in the end getting absolutely exhausted just by reading the paper). Size up the letters and hey presto!

Ho hum, seems they want beta testers with Android, I might send them a mail...

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Oh you should! Update: 500 wpm AND I AM SO BLINKY. It might be the detergent on my clothes or it might be my workmate's fluffy sweater because that can set me off or it might be reading at 500wpm. SO VERY BLINKY

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Date:

Sent them a mail. Crossing fingers. Oh man, I could get my daily bookfix in so much lesser time! Squee!

What do you mean blinky? I just tried out the 600wpm and even though I couldn't comprehend at that speed, I just want more.

Heh, this could turn me into quite the insane literature junkie..

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I read about this this other day and think this is a brilliant idea, and like Irilar my first thought was how useful it would be for reading academic articles and the such; as well as increasing the speed at which you're reading it'd also keep you more focused. At first I was skeptical about how useful it would be for reading whole books, but the more I think about it the more ideal it seems. I'd love to see it introduced to news websites, a quick way of keeping up to date with the world, without taking too much time or effort.

Also, I can manage the 600wpm! I wonder how fast you could get the more you trained yourself? What's the maximum possible reading speed for an average person?

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

400wpm wasn't clunky at all, but I struggled quite a bit with my eyes getting tired at higher speeds (could manage them, but hurt my eyes). I didn't really feel like I was reading any faster than my normal speed though, because I'm quite a quick reader anyway, so I decided to test my reading speed and compare how many words I get through per minute without this compared to with it, and it turns out that I read at 591wpm, so struggling with something that supposedly should make reading easier at 600wpm isn't a good thing! I think the thing that struck me most about this is that I didn't enjoy reading with it at all- whilst I could easily take in the words and process their meaning, the way they passed by as single words rather than words as part of a sentence meant I struggled to add inflection to what I was reading, which made it sound really flat in my head and altogether less of an enjoyable experience than if I just read a sentence the ol' fashioned way.

It's probably worth pointing out that I am dyspraxic and on the autistic spectrum, and that this does affect my reading (visual sensory overload, impaired short term memory capacity) so I immediately want to assess this as a tool for people with learning disabilities and compare it to the things I've tried on the market. Generally I find that if I'm struggling to read something it's much much easier to listen to a sped-up audio recording, or use something similar to this which focuses in on words but leave the whole text up and vocalises them at the same time, so I wouldn't want a product that didn't have audio options because that's obviously what I prefer when I'm struggling. I think I might have liked this a bit more if it also spoke, even if you could turn that off.

In short: If you can read at a much faster speed effortlessly with this thing and don't experience/have a problem with the lack of inflection and tone then it's probably excellent. Unfortunately, for me it actually slows down my reading speed and isn't a pleasant experience, so I wouldn't want this to become widespread to "help" me when it doesn't.

Edit: To answer your question Inky, the world speed reading champion manages a whopping 4700wpm!

-- Edited by little charlie on Thursday 6th of March 2014 06:17:57 PM

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I found reading with it similar to Charlie - whilst I could read even at high speeds with relative ease, the way they appeared as single words meant the way the sentences sounded in my head was very flat. I think when I read I tend to flick ahead with my eyes, a bit like sight reading music, so I know what's coming next as I say the words I'm currently on in my head, and I couldn't do that with this. I see its potential, but I didn't especially enjoy it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wow, I think I like it. I did bump it up to 600 straight away because the lower speeds were just irritating. I agree that it would be better for academic stuff rather than something you're reading for pleasure. As it is, I generally do read things at different speeds for that specific reason. And it would be something you could only read when you had absolute focus: the doorbell went when I was on 600 and I missed half the words in the split second before that and BoT saying he'd get the door. So whilst I can see it helping a student get through a book in a night, it would be hard to get the absolute focus on it because unless you had lightening reactions, even a pause function would make you miss words. And it would be useless for referencing purposes as there's no concept of page or line numbers, so you would more than likely still need to go back and re-read important quotes in a physical copy (or digital with correct page numbers).

That said, I do like it.

And Charlie, I'm just going to see what Tudor thinks of it, and if he has a similar response to you.

Edited for Tudor's response: "It's alright, I can read it, might be useful, but I wouldn't want to read Game of Thrones like that."

Although, that said, he was reading it at 600 when ordinarily he reads quite slowly. I'm not sure how fast either of us read, but I could fairly safely finish the same two pages and want to turn over when he's just started the second one. Perhaps your response was slightly influenced by the fact that it's barely made any improvement to your speed, as well as anything else?

-- Edited by Angels+Eyeliner on Thursday 6th of March 2014 06:45:39 PM

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Date:

little charlie wrote:

400wpm wasn't clunky at all, but I struggled quite a bit with my eyes getting tired at higher speeds (could manage them, but hurt my eyes). I didn't really feel like I was reading any faster than my normal speed though, because I'm quite a quick reader anyway, so I decided to test my reading speed and compare how many words I get through per minute without this compared to with it, and it turns out that I read at 591wpm, so struggling with something that supposedly should make reading easier at 600wpm isn't a good thing! I think the thing that struck me most about this is that I didn't enjoy reading with it at all- whilst I could easily take in the words and process their meaning, the way they passed by as single words rather than words as part of a sentence meant I struggled to add inflection to what I was reading, which made it sound really flat in my head and altogether less of an enjoyable experience than if I just read a sentence the ol' fashioned way.

It's probably worth pointing out that I am dyspraxic and on the autistic spectrum, and that this does affect my reading (visual sensory overload, impaired short term memory capacity) so I immediately want to assess this as a tool for people with learning disabilities and compare it to the things I've tried on the market. Generally I find that if I'm struggling to read something it's much much easier to listen to a sped-up audio recording, or use something similar to this which focuses in on words but leave the whole text up and vocalises them at the same time, so I wouldn't want a product that didn't have audio options because that's obviously what I prefer when I'm struggling. I think I might have liked this a bit more if it also spoke, even if you could turn that off.

In short: If you can read at a much faster speed effortlessly with this thing and don't experience/have a problem with the lack of inflection and tone then it's probably excellent. Unfortunately, for me it actually slows down my reading speed and isn't a pleasant experience, so I wouldn't want this to become widespread to "help" me when it doesn't.

Edit: To answer your question Inky, the world speed reading champion manages a whopping 4700wpm!

-- Edited by little charlie on Thursday 6th of March 2014 06:17:57 PM

Does this mean that you kind of "hear" the words in your head when you are reading? That is quite interesting. When I read I'm rarely very aware of the word themselves. Words are just what my eyes see, in my head it's all pictures/colours/emotions when I read. That the words here comes one and one doesn't change that, it was just a matter of speeding it up.

-- Edited by Irilar on Thursday 6th of March 2014 07:26:23 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I guess I must do, but I don't hear a speaking voice in my head if that makes any sense? I think that it's a case of the tone is an additional level of information, which unless I can flick ahead to gauge the whole I don't have.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Charlie, we must read in similar ways, that's what I was trying to say in my post! I don't hear a voice in my head either, but I do kind of 'hear' the words, and without the rest of the sentence the words sound completely atonal and separate, rather than part of a whole.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've seen this before, I hit 550wpm (I think? 600? Can't remember the intergers it goes up in but it was one of the highest speeds) and after about a minute I felt very, very unwell. I'm a very fast reader depending on the situation/ medium, so I thought it'd be fine. They haven't any health warnings that I could see, is it safe for epileptics? (I'm not epileptic but I've responded to triggers before.)

Either way, I might read courseowrk or something this way, but I'd rather read a novel on my own terms.

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^that would depend on the type of epilepsy. I think photosensitive epilepsy isn't really triggered by computer screens as frequently anymore, and I don't think a flickering image would affect it. Of the forty-ish other types, I see no problems. My dad (complex partial), for example, would have no problem with it unless he was reading for so long he forgot to eat (that's not the main cause of his seizures, but the only relevant possibility here). Don't forget, cartoons are fast moving images, they're fine. It's flashing lights of cameras on news shows or disco lights that can trigger someone with that type of epilepsy.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

e/t/a-I dug up the last paperback I read to find out,looks like around 800 wpm with a good book since one page was roughly 10 words/line and 40 lines long. I probably miss a few details at that rate,but if it's a good book,I can read it again to pick them up!

Here's something from Yahoo about it. Interesting though it seems,(and IDK about that ORP business,fascinating),I can see a drawback. Because you're only reading one word at a time and you can't see the whole sentence or paragraph as in a real book,you have to mentally buffer the words until the full stop,then you have a sentence to assimilate. This,I'd think,would actually slow you down because there is no context. I kinda skim-read stuff in sentence-size chunks because you can almost sub-consciously delete things like prepositions and understand the sentence from the main words in it. [I think I can do around 2 paperback pages per minute if I try,dunno what wpm that is though,probably horribly slow!]

Dave.

-- Edited by skgogosfan on Friday 7th of March 2014 11:31:31 PM

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

500wpm was a comfortable speed for me but after a while I had the same problem than Charlie, my eyes started to hurt. I think I would have end up with an headache if I would have keep on reading. So I think the concept is interesting but I couldn't read an entire book like this.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us