Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Knitters Unite

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: Knitters Unite

Ok, if a pattern doesn't tell you meterage how do you go about having any idea how much wool you need? I have a king cole pattern for a cardigan (for Beansprout when she is bigger and I might have finished it) but I want to be able to use whatever wool takes my fancy with it. Heeelp!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Have a Google around about the wool and find out the meterage per ball, then work out the total meterage for the project by multiplying the number of metres in a ball by the number of balls the pattern tells you to use for the size you want. When you've chosen the wool you want to use, divide the total meterage by the number of metres in a ball of the new wool. If it's a decimal, always round up!

For example: you want to knit a sweater which the pattern says takes 10 balls of yarn with 112 metres per ball. Total meterage for the project is therefore 1120m. You want to knit it in a wool with 155 metres on a ball. Therefore your calculation is 1120 divided by 155 = 7.22 balls of the new wool. You can't just buy 0.22 balls of wool, so round up = you'll need 8 balls for your project!

You might well already know this, but when you're substituting a yarn make sure to pick a yarn of the same weight, e.g. double knit for a double knit pattern; it'll seriously mess with the size of a garment if you use, for example, an aran for a DK project. Don't go messing with thicknesses unless you want to rewrite a whole pattern!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Awesome yeah, i will stick with double knit. My mum reckons that double knit is different to back in the 70s cos she knitted a dk top for Beansprout that she had done for my cousin when he was a baby and it has turned out massively bigger this time round!

Regular Crew

Date:

I have tried knitting and I could get it but the stitches didn't look as nice but jumpers and scarves that have been knitted always look so beautiful, hats too.
I crochet myself and have been for about 4 years now - with some on and off - and I'm currently working on plushes for a little fair next month (the one right now is Merlin from Sword in the Stone)

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us