Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Knitters Unite

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Knitters Unite

So I was noodling around in the Creativity forum and then realised, to my astonishment, that we don't have a topic about knitting. Madness!

I know that several of you are knitters (in fact I've taught some of you, Alka :p), and I'd love to know about what you've made, what you're making, projects you're really proud of, projects you're struggling with, all sorts :)

I'm a massive knitting nerd, as you probably all know, and I work in a knitting shop and do the odd bit of designing and teaching on the side, so if anyone's stuck and needs a bit of help, or wants a bit of guidance on wool choices, or sizing, or what the hell tension even is anyway, stick something in here and I'm happy to give you a hand.

Currently I'm knitting a big slouchy cardigan (this pattern) in a lovely bright sunshiney mustard colour. I've knitted the same pattern before, but it's such an awesome knit that I wanted it again in another colour, plus I did various things wrong first time round and I'd quite like to think of that as the prototype for a second, perfectly-fitting one :) I'm also designing a slouchy unisex hat as a pattern for work, so once that's finished and written up I'll link to it on here. If anyone's sufficiently interested, you can see the things I'm making and the things I've made on Ravelry :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Awesome!!!

Will this just be for knitting? Start a crocheting one too!

I knitted that jumper I bought the pattern in your shop. I have yet to wear it cos I got pregnant and it needs shaped and I am lazy. Lol! It also has some mistakes (i miscounted a couple of rows so the fake-cable on the back panel is a bit skewy bit I got it back on track..)

Regular Crew

Date:

I can't knit, but I can crochet. I'm making a blankee at the moment - I'm only a beginner, so it's a bit rubbish, but I'm hoping I get better. It's only my second ever crochet project. I did try knitting, my hands can't cope with two needles!

"Nobody realises that some people expend tremendous amounts of energy merely to be normal" - Albert Carnus

Lush Guru

Date:

I can knit! Cos you taught me :P

I make mostly rectangular things...currently I'm working on a baby blanket, however that baby has already been born so I'm just going to hope that my other friend who is due in like 6 months is going to have a girl and get it done for then.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Cool! I love knitting! My next project will be part of my Independent Project at uni, as I'm writing a knit-along children's book (which may fail completely but it's a nice idea!) I'm going to be knitting my characters and some items from the story- and designing them all myself, yikes!
I can't believe there hasn't been a knitting thread before, thanks for rectifying that, Annis! :)

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Liv that sounds like a fantastic idea! I would have loved that when I was younger...I would love it NOW!

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Woo! I've been thinking of making a big woolly thread for some time but never got around to it. Annis, you rock!

Here are the mittens I made in Christmas. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-t3qQl0b7Z6U/UueKag08XAI/AAAAAAAAAn0/Q7mahVcj0JQ/w643-h857-no/IMG_6110.JPG

They are very wonky, because I was making up my own pattern, testing out a new way to shape mittens (definitively will tweak it to resemble more how I usually knit mittens), not bothering to fix any mistakes because I was in a hurry to get new mittens (and they are only for myself) and when knitting the right one I was more or less drunk all the time. At one point so drunk I had trouble with my balance. Too difficult to walk, so I decided to sit down and knit instead.

But I'm happy with the theme, mixing skulls and traditional patterns, so I was pondering about making a "proper" version and put the pattern up on ravelry?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yay Annis, great idea! That cardi looks really beautiful too.

wow Irilar, they're gorgeous! I really love the design. I've never knitted mittens, but I would be pleased to try out your pattern if you do decide to get it on ravelry.

I'm currently knitting a make-up bag thingy using lovely pink Aran wool. It's my first time doing moss stitch, so there are a couple of rows that turned into rib when I lost my concentration. I wasn't bothered ripping them back, so I have quite a muddled up but cute looking piece of work. I'm going to line it with purple satin or denim (depending on whatever material I have lying around) and sequin it using really cute orange and pink sequins Chris got me. And it's going to fasten with just one of those plain silver fasteners that click together. I think I will crochet a little flower to go on the front as well.

My ongoing project is my crochet blanket which is just made from lots of small squares. Each square is made out of three pieces, all done in a simple chain stitch. I've no idea what the actual name for it is, haha. Actually, now that I think of it, I've been neglecting my blanket this past while. I must get back into it.

One of the main problems I face as a knitter (aside from the obvious lack of proficiency, haha) is that I find it is quite an expensive hobby... I decided last week that I wanted to knit a jumper and I worked out that the yarn for it would cost 40 euro... which is quite a bit. Is there any way to get past the expense of knitting? Or is that just the way it is? :p

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Saw lots of knitted/crocheted fingerless gloves and arm warmers online and it inspired me...I want to do some delicate work.

CUrrently crocheting a baby shawl that I will get finished at some point. Am 20 rows into 80 rows. It's simple enough but very, very repetitive and I'm not a good enough crocheter yet to alter the pattern at all.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Can't knit, can't even spell crotchet, can't sew without major bloodloss... I feel Mookily stunted. I can stuture skin though, does that make up for it?? :)

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I will teach you how to knit whenever you fancy. My crochet skills are rudimentary but I'm always happy to pass on them skillz too. Crochet is spelled the same way as the wee music note with the same name. And yeah, being able to suture more than makes up for what you may lack in el knitto dept. :)

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Indigo Empress wrote:

wow Irilar, they're gorgeous! I really love the design. I've never knitted mittens, but I would be pleased to try out your pattern if you do decide to get it on ravelry.

I found someone who've done something similar (but better) and have the pattern downloadable for free: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/deathflake-mittens

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

im also a knitter! at the mo ive been doing a few simple projects that i can do lots of (so that i can sell on my stall)

e.g arm warmers, cushion covers, baby items and xmas trees!

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Indigo Empress wrote:

One of the main problems I face as a knitter (aside from the obvious lack of proficiency, haha) is that I find it is quite an expensive hobby... I decided last week that I wanted to knit a jumper and I worked out that the yarn for it would cost 40 euro... which is quite a bit. Is there any way to get past the expense of knitting? Or is that just the way it is? :p

It's partially dependent on the yarn, but also the fibre you choose to use :) Synthetics like nylon and acrylic are the cheapest to produce (boo) but also have the most unpleasant texture (though they are a lot better these days), don't keep you nearly as warm, and are fairly rubbish for the environment. Wool requires sheep to be reared and fed and shorn and the wool to be cleaned, spun and dyed... raw fleece costs peanuts to buy, but for commercial wool a lot of what you're paying for is the process. I think the cheapest pure wool we sell is 3.79 for 50g, and you're unlikely to find it at much less (unless it's on sale!). More niche fibres like alpaca and yak have the smallest supply and the highest demand, so get even pricier.

The fibre also determines the amount you need to buy, which obviously bumps the price up further. What a lot of people don't realise is that when you're picking a yarn, it's not the number of balls (50g/100g/whatever) that matters, but the total number of metres of yarn in the project that you need to be aware of so you can buy the right amount. Synthetics are the cheapest to buy, but also go the furthest because they're the lightest; wool is heavier; cotton and alpaca are heavier still. Say you wanted to knit a double knit sweater which took, say, 1000 metres to make. To pick examples from my shop, a 50g ball of pure wool has about 112 metres. So that's 1000 divided by 112; that sweater would take just under 9 balls. 50g of alpaca has 100m. That sweater would take 10 balls. A ball of nylon/acrylic, however, has around 170m, so that same sweater would only require 5.8 balls of wool. It makes a lot of difference! A lot of people buy pure wool for patterns where the sample and estimation are done for acrylic, then wonder why they need to come back for another 3 balls to finish their project. It pays to check! :)

Your best bet for a cheapish sweater at decent quality is to find a decent wool/synthetic blend. That way you get the savings, meterage and washability (is that even a word? I hope so) of the synthetics, but some of the texture and warmth of the wool. Ideally aim for something that's at least 25-50% wool so you feel like it's worth your while :) There are lots of good ones out there for relatively cheap: Wendy Mode DK (50/50) is about 2 for 50g and you'd only need about 8 for a sweater, King Cole Moods (25% wool) is about 3.60 for 100g and four would probably be ample. It's definitely worth doing a bit of homework to check what you're getting and how much you'll really need.

God, I really got my nerd on there :/

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Loving the nerdy! I never even considered the different meterage for balls - I just go by what's on the pattern and wouldn't consider it if I wanted a different type of yarn!

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Lush Guru

Date:

I am constantly thinking (and asking Annis!) about alternative fibres, because I am alas, allergic to wool. That's really helpful though, I always focus on tension/thickness (?) of the yarn, getting that the same, rather than thinking about the metreage, but then I haven't done a BIG project as yet!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Also a knitter! Finished a tea cosy yesterday (oh the whimsy). Will post some pics when I've got a minute!

My proudest knitting achievement is a large raven-y type bird. I didn't use a pattern, just made it up as I went along. And I once made a tiny bat for my other half to cheer him up when he was still living at his parents. Must get pics of both of those as they're adorable.

Eccentric Blue Haired Ecdysiast & Self Professed Dildo Nerd

Answers to Daisy or Little Spoon :) x

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wish I could knit. My nan taught me when I was younger but I can't remember how. I'd like to make myself a big woolen jumper that says "knit fast, die warm" on it.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

made some knitted bows today, will have to post a pic soon

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Lush Guru

Date:

I made myself a really nice hat, and then I lost the pom pom on the first day I wore it. :(

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm knitting a doll!Here's a picture so far

I'm knitting it without a pattern because I couldn't find one I liked, and I am really pleased with it so far. Does anyone have any advice for attaching arms?

Liv

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Because I am a big show-off and have only just got round to taking some pictures, here's my most recent sweater, finished in January ( [2] [3] ). The pattern is Owls by Kate Davies, and this is the second one I've knitted: I did the first a few years ago when I wasn't a very good knitter, and there were a lot of things I wished I'd done differently. This time I knitted it exactly as I wanted it and I'm so pleased with it; it gets worn all the damn time. Toyed with the idea of putting button eyes on all the owls, but I quite like them on just the one :)

Finished a cardigan last night, too, so tonight's mission is to sew all the pieces together. Huzzah!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^That jumper is amazing and I think you're right about just putting eyes on one of the owls, you're a fantastic knitter!

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^wow, that's a beautiful jumper! I too think that the buttons on only one owl looks really well. :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have a couple of light spring jumpers on the go that I will actually finish over easter (hopefully).

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Annis I just saw your jumper pictures and I'm very, very impressed. It's beautiful and the single owl with eyes is adorable. You're so talented!

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

ANNIS OH MY GOD I LOVE IT! You're amazing! :)

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Your jumper is so beautiful, Annis! The colour is amazing! How many balls did it take? I'm feeling inspired to make a jumper myself now.

Liv

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I keep looking at knitting stuff...even bought a knit/crochet mag the other day...but I just need some motivation to get stuff done!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I am the same!

Some of you may know this already but pinterest has a heap of lovely, free patterns - both crochet and knitting. I pinned heaps and heaps and I only joined an hour ago. Just have to learn how to read crochet patterns!

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us