Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Dyeing canvas doc martens

Regular Crew

Date:
Dyeing canvas doc martens

I have tartan canvas docs. While I think the tartan is adorable, it doesn't go enough with my outfits so I'm going to be dyeing them black. Is it safe to use cotton fabric dye on them? My mom's concerned about the dye interacting with the rubber, but I can't find anything on the matter.

Regular Crew

Date:

I don't know if this will help but if you go on Pinterest you could find a tutorial on customizing  

boots. You could do mod podge with black glitter and spray a sealer on them.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't imagine that it'd interact with the rubber, on the bottom of doc martens is says that they're resistant to oil, fat, acid, petrol and alkali, so I don't imagine that dye would hurt them, but if you wanted to be on the safe side instead of putting the whole shoe in the dye, you could always just dip them in (maybe by hanging them from some sort of pole across the top of a bucket?) so the rubber's not even in the dye.

If the canvas is cotton then I assume that cotton fabric dye would be fine, but you might want to check what the threads are made of, cause I've had incidents dying stuff where the fabric's taken the dye fine, but the thread must have been synthetic and so remained it's original colour. Can be a cool effect if you want it, but a tad annoying when you don't.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I haven't tried with doc's but most of my attempts of dyeing fabric shoes have ended up a bit wonky. Painting shoes on the other hand have always worked out fine, perhaps because you have much more control over the process.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Baby Mook

Date:

Hey,

Look for dylon dye, I've used it before on Dr Martens with no problems.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us