Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Thoughts on kitty collars and cat ears?

Regular Crew

Date:
Thoughts on kitty collars and cat ears?

For example

A cute collar: http://www.etsy.com/listing/160187694/kitty-bell-spike-black-faux-leather?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=collar+black+leather+with+bell&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade

and cat ears:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/78208994/cosplay-cat-ears-nekomimi-black-with?ref=shop_home_active_25

How wearable do you think these are outside of, say, anime conventions? While I think they are very cute, I also don't necessarily want to be read as a furry or bondage person. I'm not sure if people would necessarily have these associations though. Thoughts?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I personally think they are really cute and would look great. I wouldn't wear them my self as it just isn't my style but on other people sure. I think you are right on them possibly being read as furry or bondage type things. I'd say if you want to wear them, just do it.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Yup, by wearing accessories connected with certain subcultures, some people will associate you with said subcultures. And other people will operate with other reference systems while other again won't notice nor care.

Then again, why does it matter what other people think?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I was going to say similar to Irilar. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Irilar has said the best of things.

If you wear cat accessories, you're likely to look a bit like a cat, yes. Isn't that what you want?

I don't think many people actually assosiate individual bits of jewellery/ accessories with fetishes anymore... And if they do, they're probably not too nice. I wouldnt worry about them.

It can be empowering to go out toting feeling awesome and strange and actively not giving a shit, but if you're not in that headspace you're likely to gjust wind up feeling vulnerable. Just keep that in mind.

Maybe start with just the collar? They're really quite commonplace now.

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I see so many people just chilling around Falmouth with cat ears or steampunk goggles or zebra onsies on. (Ok, the last one was my slightly epic walk home after staying at a friends.) And I think they look pretty awesome because they're being true to themselves and not giving a toss what other people think, which is one of the most attractive things ever. :) If you like them, go for it.

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Regular Crew

Date:

Cat ears are really cute! You should wear what you want, who cares what others think! I want all different animal ears!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Kinda bummed I missed this thread,
Cat ears, collars, leashes and tails are my specialty ;3

I have tons.
Most for sexy time activities but some for everyday use.

Lights Fires in the Genitals of Mooks Everywhere.

Tumblr

Facebook

Regular Crew

Date:

I don't like it when people associate me with otaku and m&a fandom.. I like manga and anime but I'm not obsessed with it, not so much into.. And I observe that recently the fandom in my country is almost all about showing off, fights for popularity and consumerism.. Then I don't like it..

But I love kitten accessories! I'm kind of nekomimi.. It means I would wear ears and collars anywhere. I went like this to the university even. I could say being neko is my little fetish or something ^ ^" meoww... <3

Baby Mook

Date:

It looks pretty and cute. I have owl ones.

Regular Crew

Date:

I love them as a style statement, especially collars. 

I actually go out a lot radiating as much cat as I possibly can; I have these adorable combat boots with cat faces on the toes and a handful of cat face hair clips. Then I have one red velvet collar and I wear that too. Usually black and red vintage clothes. I haven't gotten around to furry legwarmers and cat ear hoodies yet but I want to soon.  The whole thing's a bit too much but I have a nice time. 

I remember I used to be really, really into vocaloid when I was 12 or so and there was this one song where the character was rocking kitschy retro clothes and a little bell collar and I thought it was just adorable. 

Sparkly vintage faerie princess most high

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm hopping in to this thread kind of late, but I figured I'd share my experience with wearing cat-ears and not being a member of the furry/bondage community.

I don't have the benefit of living in a large urban area. I live in middle-of-nowhere, no-education, bumhole, Pennsylvania. I love my hometown--there's a lot of great things here, like delicious ethnic foods and a wealth of heritage traditions--but wearing cat ears and a tail will ultimately end up in dirty looks, questions, catcalling (no pun intended) and general hateful remarks.

It's very easy to say &quot;why would you care what anyone else thinks?&quot; when you don't have to run into the same people every time you go out, or have the comments follow you home. Sometimes, getting barraged with negativity like that is exhausting.

I wear a fox tail and ears sometimes because I like the way I look with them on. Sometimes, they're a great conversational starter--especially in bookstores for some reason. I've had a lot of people ask if they could touch the tail or ears. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys attention, either. Here's my advice for dealing with it, though:

--Accept that you are going to receive attention for wearing ears/collar/tail/etc. It may be overwhelmingly negative.

--Come up with a nonprofit or a cause that you'd like to raise attention for.

This can help weed away assholes from conversing with you.

&quot;Don't you know it's not Halloween?&quot;

&quot;I did know! Today is ---insert date--. I'm actually raising awareness for negative effects of delisting of gray wolves&quot; or &quot;I'm actually raising awareness for the feline population problem in HOMETOWN. Did you know our local SPCA runs a spay and neuter clinic every ___weeks?&quot; I will usually follow up by asking if they'd like to hear some information.

Most people will say &quot;no thanks&quot; and quickly scurry away. I find this to be especially satisfying with someone who started off with a negative comment since they can't really be mad at me for offering the information--they approached me, after all. This also has the double effect of making them feel like an asshole for picking on someone who is wearing it for a cause. Sometimes, they'll still persist in their comments, but it's usually easier to wiggle away. Sometimes, even better, you'll meet someone who is genuinely interested in what you have to say and will completely change their outlook. It's nice to be able to turn someone's negativity into a positive action towards something you care about.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

raising attention to an animal cause is such a great idea! having an eloquent response ready, I think, will do a lot to shut down people who are trying to be negative, because they won't see it coming.

tbh tho, seeing people wearing collars squicks me out, especially when they're with a partner who isn't wearing a collar or is holding a lead or something.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I had an interesting run-in the other day while I was wearing a collar out in public. A woman stopped to tell me that I shouldn't wear a collar because I'm not anyone's pet and I'm just supporting the patriarchy; she said she saw this in a copy of Glamour magazine.

I was a little surprised and it took me a minute to come back with an appropriate response. I had to point out that harassing another woman based on what she's wearing is pretty much counter to that, and that day, I actually was dressed up in costume for an event, so I had to point that out, too. It was definitely interesting.

I think it's okay to get squicked out by people wearing collars--to each their own, after all! :)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I'm sorry that happened but congrats on being able to respond!
" A woman stopped to tell me that I shouldn't wear a collar because I'm not anyone's pet and I'm just supporting the patriarchy; she said she saw this in a copy of Glamour magazine." For some reason, the part about "she saw this in a magazine" is so funny to me. I guess because she's telling you to like, be independent but she just read this in Glamour?

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Thanks haha!

That's why I was really thrown off--it was a perspective I hadn't considered before, but it sort of caught me off guard that she mentioned the magazine by name. it was definitely one of the more awkward moments on my list, but now that I'm out of the moment I can laugh at it, too.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us