Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: The eternal need to escape the hustle and bustle of a city.. i NEED YOUR ADVICE PLEASE

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
The eternal need to escape the hustle and bustle of a city.. i NEED YOUR ADVICE PLEASE

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread so please excuse me if its not. 

Well at the mo I am living in a city in the south west of england  but am not enjoying living here really, next year I want to continue my studies elsewhere, is there anywhere you guys would recommend that's not in a big city? I don't know the uk very well as am not originally from here. I'm a bit of a small town/seaside townie gal, I love the idea of living in a seaside town but Brighton is far too expensive for me I'm afraid :( :(

be great to hear your thoughts, lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

A little bit more information might help people give better suggestions. When you say you want to continue your studies, what level of study are you referring to? Do you have any sort of geographical preferences? What exactly is it that you don't live about where you are currently?

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Hey, well I'm doing a foundation degree atm and ideally I want to go to University next year. I just really don't like living in a city and would prefer to live somewhere quieter.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think that most universities are in cities, so to avoid cities whilst attending university might be difficult.

If you wanted a small quieter city though I can suggest Carlisle or the surrounding areas. You'd be close to the university of Cumbria, should that take your fancy, but not too near the sea, if that was something important to you.

Or Aberystwyth's near the sea, has a university, and as far as I can tell from Google has a small population and looks quite twee.

I'm not too familiar with anywhere in the South, so I can't make any suggestions there, but maybe the Cornwall area would be nice (though I'd guess it's quite expensive).

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Scotland is pretty awesome in that even if you live in the middle of a city you're probably only about 20-30 minutes from countryside.

What course are you wanting to do? What universities offer it, if we know which ones you would be able to go to we could advise better on places nearby that would mean you wouldn't have to live in the actual city but would still be close enough to make travelling not too much of a pain.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Thanks guys :)
I'm definitely going to consider Aberystwyth, it looks lovely and Spikeyfaerie, Scotland seems like a possibility too,where would you recommend there, anywhere in particular?

I want to study Drama at uni....

Honoured Mook

Date:

Norwich is a lovely small city, full of awesome stuff, not far from the beautiful Norfolk coast and slap bang in the middle of the loverly ole Norfolk countryside =) *city pride* and the UEA is a pretty decent Uni.

Sophie

The world is quiet here ...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Glasgow has the Royal Conservatoire (previously Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama) and there are plenty of outlying places to stay with train and bus links into town... There is also Strathclyde Uni, Uni of Glasgow...

University of Abertay, Dundee (dunno if it does drama)

St Andrews Uni, again, dunno if they do drama but St Andrews is a tiny little town.

University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh is kinda cool in that each area of the city feels like an entirely different place. Morningside, Stockbridge and Fettes have a sort of villagey feel but walk for 10-15 minutes and you're into the main city.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I know that Bangor is tiny, and hardly a city (it's one of the smallest in the UK). I don't know if the university does drama though.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

cheers lovelies! I'm also looking at Plymouth. Not really sure what its like / have heard mixed reviews hmmm

Honoured Mook

Date:

I believe Bangor does do Drama.  

Sophie

The world is quiet here ...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

ah cool! ta! :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Maybe think outside the box and look at college which do degrees? Down here in Cornwall it's common for people to want to stay near home, so often local colleges here offer degrees... Maybe look over here in Falmouth or Truro if you like stuff a bit rural?

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

^really that's interesting. I've heard cornwall is lovely, hmm choices choices choices

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't like living here much, but then I think I'm built to be a city dweller! Falmouth does sound your cup of tea- lovely seaside town full of art students, artisanal bakeries and charity shops. If nothing else, you'd like to visit it!

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

yeah its funny how some people are such city people and others not at all. sorry to hear your not enjoying living there. wow sounds amazing trouble is-so far away from everything! like 80 pounds to get there on the train from me!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us