Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Are nightgowns acceptable to wear in public?

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:
Are nightgowns acceptable to wear in public?

One of my friends posted in facebook being baffled when encountering a woman in a coffee shop wearing, among other items of clothing, a lacy pajamas top thingie (or whatever it was). Now, the last time I lived in a city I'd happily nip over to the grocery store in my nightgown or pajamas in the morning and so did a fair deal of my neighbours.

Also Ouroboros once gave me a lacy satin nightie, which I ended up wearing not to bed but rather layered in with lots of lace, leather, chains and spikes when I went clubbing.

So I've never really even thought about it, I've just assumed that nightwear gets magically transformed to daywear as soon as you leave your house. But I'm curious to hear the opinions of others here? Is it acceptable to use clothing intended for sleeping in out in public?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't have many clothes which are pajamas- I tend to just wear my normal clothes in more comfortable combinations, so a big jumper with loose culottes, and I don't wear leggings as anything but pajamas but lots of people wear them as daywear, so I could leave the house in my lounging clothes and no one would be any the wiser unless they knew me. I did as a teenager own a negligee I would wear over jeans with a t-shirt underneath, and whilst I thought it was very very cool I did get some odd looks. I don't see what's wrong with wearing pajamas outside the house at all, or really any clothes you like, but as per usual there are really weird social laws in place that means if you do exercise that freedom people won't always be nice about it.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Onesies (baby grows for adults) in my eyes are publicly acceptable after 12pm in a 24 hour tescos. I would run down to the local shops in my pj's with a coat over the top not a problem, however I do not approve of the ladies wearing pj's, slippers and massive hoops in their ears whilst dragging a child around tesco's and yelling obscenities to their mates in 2 am, but thats more circumstantial.

-- Edited by Knives on Saturday 21st of September 2013 09:43:48 PM

'Driving My Tea' Since 22.02.2011

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

i have a few 'cami tops' that i wear out an about, an i used to wear basques out to clubs etc (when i was younger an thinner)

but im not keen on the whole pjs to the supermarket thing, i think thats because i used to work at a supermarket though

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've been lazy today: I changed from my pyjama bottoms into jeans, leaving my pyjama top on, and just now because it's warm I took my jeans off and consider myself ready for bed. At uni, I'd wear anything. The only pyjamas I wouldn't have worn outside the bedroom were a pair of little shorts (because I don't wear shorts in public anyway) and one top that has hot chocolate stains on it but is too comfy to throw out. Then again, uni is a totally different thing to the 'real world' because the bloody fire alarm meant that you'd see most people in their underwear, nightwear, damp towels and a layer of soap bubbles... and thanks to the popularity of novelty onesies, sleep clothes came out to club nights like Zoo Night. I wore my pyjamas under my Halloween costume because it was binbags and therefore a) sticky to wear without something under it and b) likely to tear. Had a fun moment when we decided to leave and I ripped my costume off and walked home in my pyjamas (and high heeled boots).

As for the lacy pyjama top thingy you so eloquently described, I think I've probably done that too. The big boobs, small everything else problem means that I generally wear vest tops under button-up shirts and don't bother trying to button them past a certain point, and the prettiest and best tops for the purpose tend to come from the pyjama section of shops. If it suddenly got hot, I'd probably have no problem taking off the shirt, and why should I? My boobs are covered, my stomach is covered, I'm not flashing anything that any other woman in a vest top isn't.

Honestly, I think anything that reasonably covers you (nothing totally sheer or so short you can't move without exposing your knickers) should be acceptable. There is the slight stigma of 'lazy dole grabbers who can't even be arsed putting clothes on' when you go out in stuff that is obviously pyjamas, and I suppose the risqué element of wearing sexy nightclothes in public (in the same way wearing anything too sexy is seen as wrong by some). Not to mention, someone walking down the street in a beautiful Victorian nightgown would probably get some strange looks, as would any Victorian clothes heading down the average street.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Knives wrote:

Onesies (baby grows for adults) in my eyes are publicly acceptable after 12pm in a 24 hour tescos. I would run down to the local shops in my pj's with a coat over the top not a problem, however I do not approve of the ladies wearing pj's, slippers and massive hoops in their ears whilst dragging a child around tesco's and yelling obscenities to their mates in 2 am, but thats more circumstantial.

-- Edited by Knives on Saturday 21st of September 2013 09:43:48 PM

What confuses me is the people who have clearly done their hair and makeup before they left the house, but are still in their pyjamas. I can only assume that they're going out afterwards and don't want to change twice or go to the local shop in their party clothes.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I personally spend so little time in pyjamas - I'm one of those people who get dressed even if they're not going anywhere, so I feel weird wandering around in my pyjamas even around my housemates. I put them on right before I go to bed and then shower and get dressed pretty much right after I get up usually. So wearing them outside the house (other than the back yard) would just feel odd to me. Comfy, yes, but odd. Maybe I'm just a private person who doesn't want anyone to see what I wear to bed. I did try to remedy this by buying sweat pants recently, thinking 'maybe I can wear these to the shop, nobody will know I wear them to bed' but then when they became pyjamas, I couldn't do it, I'd feel really self-conscious! And I'm a lazy person, so god knows why I'm so funny about pyjamas...

It's up to other people if they want to wear their pyjamas out to the supermarket or wherever though. If they're happy then whatever! Plus I think people can pull off little silky nightdresses as daywear really well, I think it's a cool look.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

In short I think people should do whatever they like! I sometimes wear pyjamas out if I'm not feeling great and they don't look too pyjama-y, like a long sleeved dark red pyjama too or camis that can sort of pass as day wear, one interesting thing is that in Cult Party Kei fashion, wearing nightgowns and vintage nightwear in general is a very big part of the look and a definite plus, it's seen very often. I personally like it. I think there's a difference between incorporating that kind of thing into an outfit (acceptable), wearing nightwear with normal clothing for extra comfort (acceptable) and wearing full on pyjamas (acceptable, but definitely not for me.) I totally respect people who have the courage to go out in pyjamas or nightgowns, I'm too concerned about what other people think - even when I'm ill, I get dressed up to go to the doctor :( I think it shouldn't be such a big deal.

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Pyjamas in public are a huge (normally negative) cultural thing over here. There was a documentary on pyjama girls done a while ago, I'll see if I can find it when I'm on my pc, but yeah, it was all about young lower class women and school girls and the extent they go to with it all - its a huge, bizarre subculture in itself. It's quite interesting, I must find a link! (For the record I also think its fine to wear whatever if you like, its the attitude of the PJS subculture that I find bizzare!)

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I know that the Tesco where I live won't let people in if they're in pyjamas. But whilst I don't think I'd personally do it I don't see why it's a big deal, a lot of the time they're not actually that different to daytime clothes.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Wow, that's so strange! Especially for a place like Tesco where you might go late at night. I've been to my Tesco late at night in pyjamas and a jacket and I was fine, but the "pyjamas" were actually sold as normal clothes, so I guess that's why.

Chris, I'd love to see that documentary :) I find that whole thing pretty weird but fascinating. In South Africa you don't see that, the only time you might find people in nightwear would be in their local shop maybe in the early hours of the morning. You just don't see people going out in nightwear. I always smile when I see it here, it's so common but still so strange to me!

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

charmer wrote:

I personally spend so little time in pyjamas - I'm one of those people who get dressed even if they're not going anywhere,.

likewise. 

wherever i've been living i always seem to be the person who gets up and is mobbed by the household animals/small children/casualties from the night before needing breakfast and toileting facilities... by the time they're sorted out i might as well get up properly.

i do, however, shuffle around in my uggs until i need to leave the house.

i could probably quite happily go the the supermarket in a silky nightgown but the thought of being caught in my uggs would make me hang my head in shame. biggrin

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a pair of fluffy slipper boots that I'd wear to take the bins out, but if I was leaving the house properly I'd go and put on socks and boots, even if it involved hunting for them longer than I'll spend at the shop.

For some reason, Lady Carfax's silky nightgown comment reminded me how uncomfortable I felt in hospital being somewhere other than the bathroom or in bed wearing less than... well, everything. As soon as I was well enough to wander further than the bathroom I put all my clothes on, including my sneakers and hoodie (it was a strangely cold hospital). That was probably more of a state of mind thing for me though, being in pyjamas would have made me feel alright about sitting in bed all day but having my shoes on meant I was sat in a chair or walking around: which helped prove to the doctor that I was well enough to go home. The same thoughts are behind what's gone in my hospital bag for Squidge's birth: I want to be able to put my 'proper' clothes on as soon as possible rather than hanging around in a nightie because it'll make me feel much better about life.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

lady carfax wrote:

i could probably quite happily go the the supermarket in a silky nightgown but the thought of being caught in my uggs would make me hang my head in shame. biggrin

I do not really like uggs either, but I'm not sure why. It's such a simple design and I happily trot around in home-made leather shoes. Perhaps it is the soles that make them ugly? I should really try to make some myself. Now, where to find a dead sheep...

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have a similar boot to ugg's called Bearpaw Irilar they have a less chunky sole and dont have that bit that goes all weird at the front, they are just rounded and I love them!

'Driving My Tea' Since 22.02.2011

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

Ehh. I can't say it's a good look, but I don't really care enough about other people's clothing choices to question if it's 'acceptable' or not. Some of the clothes in high street shops look like pyjamas anyway, like those baggy patterned trousers from Primark, so what's the difference between wearing them in public and wearing actual pyjama bottoms?

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Personally I don't see a problem with it. I wear my pj's for a late night run to Walmart and I've worn it to college too as long as they can pass for normal clothing. Many college students wear pj's to school, it's nothing new. I remember back in the 1990's people used to go to the supermarket in a night robe, hair rollers, and night slippers.

-- Edited by MarshmallowNoise on Tuesday 24th of September 2013 04:29:08 PM

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have no particular problem with public pajama wearing. When i do see it i find it pretty amusing though. I personally just quite like putting outfits together even if I'm just going to the shop and very often go out ridiculously dressed up. I do however pretty much constantly wear pajamas at home and very often just change out of one pair, for another pair of pajamas! I kind of like keeping pajamas as a comfy home thing as a sort of contrast to outside clothing. I do utterly love the look of pretty pajamas or underwear being worn as clothing. Although it isn't something i currently personally do but i would do so if i had the pretties to do so.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't understand people who have an issue with it. I'm quite happy to put some shoes and a jacket over my pjs and nip down to the shop in them, I couldn't give a toss if people think I'm weird for it, because I honestly don't understand what is weird about it, especially after dark.

Regular Crew

Date:

I have to say though, this morning on the tube I saw a woman wearing maroon silk pyjamas with black boots and a Mickey Mouse t-shirt underneath, and I actually thought she looked kind of chic in a boho, I-don't-give-a-crap kind of way.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Okay! I've done a search for the Pyjama Girls documentary; I've found information about the feature-lenght programme on the RTé website, but not the video because it was aired a couple of years ago. I did find a long-ish trailer, and so far this is the only accessble full video I can find, but I think you need to make an account or something.

(To anyone who watches, the Ballymun flats are notorious as one of the single roughest places in the country. Also, yeah that's really what Dublin looks, sounds and acts like - generally speaking. There's a lot of culture divide per area but the video is generally extremely filter-free. Say goodbye to your fantasties of green fairy-filled shamrocky pastures!!)

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I want see the documentary now. After watching the trailer and reading some of the youtube comments I don't get why some people are insulted by the way they dress.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

^^^ Haha, Id love to see someone on the tube in pyjamas! Rush hour is so dull because everyone is wearing work gear.

When I was in primary I remember mums dropping their kids off in pyjamas.. I don't really think its a big deal, but I guess if you've not seen someone out in their pyjamas before it might seem a bit odd.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I see nothing wrong with it, I've worn pretty nighties out as party dresses and comfy pajama tops with jeans on many occasions. I also wear ugg boots pretty much everywhere when it's cold though, and I see nothing wrong with that either. I mean....they're footwear?!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ the Ugg thing in Manchester is seen as pretty weird because they just fall apart within a week or so of being worn (at least, the fakes that the majority of people wear do, although the real thing won't last much longer). They get wet and screwed up and aren't designed for urban Britain. I mean, weren't they designed to keep surfers' feet warm between competitions or something? Not walking through rain and puddles and going up and down stairs and generally taking a beating. They probably are warm, but they're useless here when it gets cold because then we have snow. I can't imagine how horrible snow covered ugg boots must feel on people's poor feet...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ i have had a pair of real uggs for about 3 years an there just as good as when i got them, been through snow etc an still in top condition

back when i worked in asda we did ban one woman from coming in in her nightie but that was because she didnt wear knickers an would reach for things on the top shelf on purpose

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I take it back then... although Primark fakes still have a working life of about a week in the kind of conditions we get in winter. That woman sounds vile, I'm amazed she wasn't arrested for public indecency. Although that's not about her wearing her nightie, the same would probably have happened in a dress of the same length.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I live in student central, so seeing people in pajama bottoms in Sainsburys is expected. I've done it myself but normally I'll put leggings on so I can pretend I'm dressed.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us