Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: We don't accept this. Let us keep our seeds EU!

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:
We don't accept this. Let us keep our seeds EU!

I found a link to this petition on my facebook page this morning, and it made me cough up my coffee. I might seem paranoid to some, but I am genuinely scared by a lot of things that are happening in the agricultural sector. 

I am frightened because I think that most people do not realize how crucial agriculture is for the wellbeing on the planet we live on and our very survival. Food is something that comes from the shop right?

Meanwhile you have powerful forces, big corporations like Monsanto, AstraZeneca, Bayer, who are pushing their own agenda. And I'm hesitant to use the word evil about anyone or anything, but these corporations are not exactly doing charity.

Okai, truth to be told I'm a bit too shaken up to be truly coherent now. I will be back later, for now I'll just copypaste what it says in the petition. Please read, and if you are not convinced please ask questions and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

Why this is important

The forbidden seed! How many here know that the EU is preparing legislation that will make it illegal to grow crops that are not on a list of approved seeds? A list that currently 60% dominated by big corporations like Monsanto, AstraZeneca, Bayer and others? Today, there are three lists, one for professional growth, one of the endangered species and one for amateur cultivation. The latter two should be removed. The pros list are basically only hybrids - which means that you can not take next year's seed from his crop. Furthermore, it not only be forbidden to sell other seeds than those already mentioned, but also to grow. "File sharing" in the area of seeds will become a criminal act. This means that people be even less able to influence what you eat, when you can not even decide what to grow. It also means that the varieties that are historically interesting will disappear, even varieties that can withstand our climate, because the market is too small for the majors to be interesting. This means that poor people who live off what they grow is referred to in the seedtrades discretion in terms of pricing, which can be costly where there are few players. What do we think about this? Source: Nordgen, Alnarp, association SESAM English translater Monica Ramsten

-- Edited by Irilar on Tuesday 17th of September 2013 01:00:28 PM

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Well, they can fuck right off. It's like the attempt in around 2005 to ban vitamins C and B6 in Europe along with hundreds of other vitamins. Mainly to the benefit of large pharmaceutical companies who have the money to fulfill the commercial requirements. I don't think anything came of that.

Keep us posted. This needs media attention as well as petition signing.

-- Edited by Magda Mookychick on Tuesday 17th of September 2013 10:08:14 AM

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Bollocks to that. This is the kind of thing that they think no one will notice so they can just sneak it through. This kind of thing gets my back up.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've heard this. I used to work in natural health when that absurd bill was passed that effectively shut down literally dozens of suppliment companies in one swift stroke. They're talking about illegalising echinachea now, which is just fucking laughable... Anyway, do share petitions if you find any, I'll sign! :)

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Ups, I forgot to share the link to the petition itself. Sorry. I really become very upset by things like this.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Regular Crew

Date:

oh ffs this is ridiculous! eating is difficult enough already. how did the french revolution even happen!?

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us