Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: How do i curl my hair? Advice needed

Baby Mook

Date:
How do i curl my hair? Advice needed

Hey guys. Feeling so silly right now because I just cant seem to use my new hair curling tong. My mom brought it for me because someone curled my hair for me and i LOVED it. So naturally i want to be able to do it myself. I tried curling with straighteners (because you can apparently)  and got no where. I now have this TRESemme volume curls tong thing. Which is specifically designed to curl hair. But i am no closer to learning these curling secrets. I've tried instruction leaflets and countless YouTube vids. Its getting me no where.  What am I missing !!!? Would really appreciate some help on this. I feel like such a fail of a girl right now no

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Are you using curling spray? You can damage your hair otherwise. Sprays will also help the style hold up better.

Otherwise, the pincurling technique always works for me: roll your hair into spirals while damp, pin these to your head, remove after a minimum of 5 hours (just sleep with them in), and voilá, curls! This works because you create hydrogen bonds that mimic those found in naturally curly hair or some shit like that.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I've tried to do it on my self and can never get it the right effect, I'd say get someone to do it for you especially if your have long or a lot of hair as even though I can do it on other people and made it go all nice and curly I can never curl my own hair no matter what. Annoying, I know. Also use hair spray to make it hold its shape but you probably already know this. good luck :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You've got one of these things? They're pretty easy when you get the hang of them.

First, make sure your hair is all combed out. Much easier that way. Then split your hair into sections using clips or bands. Start with the lower sections and take a bit of hair maybe an inch across. Spray heat protector on it if you've not used a crème before you started. Then lift the clip on the barrel, trap the end of the hair and carefully roll the tongs up your hair until you get... well, I get quite close to my head with mine, but I've also had a nasty burn on my neck from a time someone surprised me whilst I was doing it. As close to your head as you feel comfortable, or as you need for the style you want. You should be holding the tongs so that your hair is slightly taut. It shouldn't feel like it's pulling, but it also shouldn't be loose or the upper sections of hair won't heat and won't hold the curl. Hold it for a few seconds. How long depends on the heat setting of your tongs. Mine are a bit old and not great, so I leave it for fifteen second. Five is probably a good start. Then carefully unwind the hair and release it from the clip. Take care not to pull it whilst it's still hot or you might pull it straight again. Carry on until all your sections are done. Then get a good fixing spray, spray it through your hair, and maybe brush through your curls with your fingers a little bit. Do not brush your hair again.

As for curling with straighteners, it can be done but it took me ages to get the hang of it, by which time my straighteners broke and since I wasn't using them for much, I never replaced them so can't tell you how you'd do that.

Pin curls are the bomb. It can take a little while to do at first. As Malin said, section damp hair, roll it around your fingers, fix it with a couple of bobby pins and leave it to dry. If you're going to sleep on it, put a hat or something on first as it stops all the pins coming out in your sleep (or at least, it stops you waking up to hundreds of bobby pins in your bed). If you want to be really sure about the curls, leave the hat on and give your hair a bit of a blast with a hairdryer to heat it up (careful, you just want it warm, you don't want to heat up the bobby pins) and leave it to cool (do it just before breakfast and it should have cooled when you're done) then take off the hat, give it a spritz of some hairspray if you like (I did occasionally, but mostly it worked fine without) and carefully take out the pins. Then, before you go to bed again that night, you can try re-rolling the curls into the same place, pin them up again and it should keep like that until your next wash. The second time it's much quicker, and I managed to get it so that pin curling my hair was faster than waiting for the curling tongs to heat up, and it meant I didn't have to get up early to do my hair.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Baby Mook

Date:

Thanks for all the advice girls! Yeh those are the tongs I have, experimented last night and got curls! Yay. I think because i have really long hair the trick is to do it in smaller sections. I shall also try pin curls as they seem really efficient :P

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us