Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: so I'm moving to London

Honoured Mook

Date:
so I'm moving to London

In about 3 weeks I am moving to London to  do my M.A in Publishing at UCL. I know no one in the city and I have never been more  afraid in my whole life. Any advice would be welcome? 

The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue. Dorothy Parker

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

There's a few mooks in London! If you're starting a new course soon, you're very likely to meet people there, and there might even be a social already planned for you. If not, why not suggest to some of your classmates that you go out for a drink after class?

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

First of all, congrats on the commencement of your masters course :) now, down to the practical stuff. Arm yourself with knowledge: maps of the city and the tube and whatnot, look up places of interest you would like to visit- be they pubs, restaurants, shops, whatever you fancy. After all, you will be living there, not just studying. I like Vic's suggestion, plus since you guys are on the same course you all have a common interest straight away that you can chat about to break the ice. Remember that we're all here for you should you need any help or kind words, don't be afraid to get in touch with any of us, don't be afraid to reach out to your family and mates at home, Skype is a wonderful thing for when you feel a bit homesick. Also yes, there are London Mooks, I am sure some of them would be willing to hang out and show you the ropes :)

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

No advice here except to enjoy it, I lived in London as a child and half of the people I grew up with are over there now, it's an excellent place to be alive in! Good luck :)

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm going to lurk around in this thread, as I too will be (hopefully) moving to London soon!

('Side from that, I got nothing, except that there's a wonderful comic convention at the ExCel center in May and October every year if you like cons)

-- Edited by Amaranth=Rayne on Sunday 11th of August 2013 08:02:53 AM

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I moved to a new city where I new virtually nobody last year and have to say it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I found it quite liberating not knowing anybody even though it can be quite lonely/ scary at times but just put yourself out there is my advice, easier said than done obviously, I found it pretty painful at first but eventually it paid off. One of the best things about moving to a city where you know no one is that you can be anyone you want to be and make a fresh start, that's what I found anyway. I wish you the best of luck :)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

If your going to study I'm sure you will be fine! I have loads of friends who have moved to London not knowing anyone, but met people at Uni, and then made friends with friends of friends etc. and now feel totally at home. A lot of people I know who come from smaller places either love the business or find it a bit overwhelming but get used to it.

By an oyster card, travel around and get to know places. If you have any particular interests London is so big there is a good chance there will be a club/group/event/shop/place where whatever that interest is happens. (what are your interests? other London mooks might be able to give you tips on where to find things)

Good luck with moving and with your course! I've lived in London my whole life, so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

Heads up, near UCL's campus there are several excellent second hand bookshops, a cafe that offers 20% discount for students, and some crackin' pubs.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-
Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us