Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Mookychick Domestic Sluts United

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: Mookychick Domestic Sluts United

TINY LITTLE FRUIT FLY THINGS KEEP COMING OUT OF MY BIN EVEN THOUGH I HAVE BLEACHED IT AND CLEANED IT TWICE AND TAKE MY BIN WAY BEFORE IT'S EVEN HALF WAY FULL NOW. WHY WHY WHY YOU LITTLE FUCKERS AHHH.

hello.

Lush Guru

Date:

It's just that time of year babe, we've got them too. Anything even remotely food-based, including teabags and stuff need to go in your outside bin straight away.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Yeah, they're just anywhere with food right now. We've had to stick to fridge/frozen/tinned fruit for a while because the little buggers LOVE the fruit bowl we normally have in the living room.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

At least it's not just me then, I thought I was doing something wrong!

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

^^^No, that happened with me as well, to the point that I started chasing them around the kitchen wildly spraying disinfectant. They'll bugger off soon enough.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I've made a trap for them: small glass of water and apple-cider vinegar to attract them, and a little dash of dishwashing soap. The little monsters think they can walk on water, but because of the soap they can't and just drown. It works like a dream and I don't use any chemicals either.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

So yesterday we viewed a flat which, while a nice flat in its own right, had been so comprehensively trashed by the previous tenants that the industrial cleaners were still in when we got there. We stuck to the floors. Grim as it was, it made me realise we're practically clinical in comparison...

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

^One of the houses we moved into when I was a teenager smelt so overwhelmingly of dog that one of my friends fainted when she came into the house. We had to take up ALL of the carpets, throw them away, and then bleach the wood underneath before it started to smell normal again.

We had a dog. We knew what a dog-owning household should smell like. I wonder how many dogs they had...

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

I found a really vile thing this morning. And of course my first thought was not "eurgh that's really vile I have to clean this up immediately" it was "oooooh, I'll have to post about this on mooky"

So I was clearing up in the bedroom. Me and Chris are messy and it's a tiny room and my sewing machine is in there as well so mostly you can't see much of the floor. I picked up a small heap of clean washing that had been there maybe a month or two and still hadn't been put away. It smelled rank. And had mould on it. Underneath it was a yoghurt drink that had been put aside, then lost, then trodden on so it came open, and there was all icky mould all over the carpet where it had spilled, all black and green and yellow and fluffy.

Obviously I cleaned it up, and felt slightly ashamed that it had likely been there over a month. But I also felt gleeful about having something to post here.

Date:

I will never understand wall-to-wall carpets. They are just disasters waiting to happen.

How are you supposed to clean them anyway? I once shared a flat where the living room had a wall to wall carpet. Since nobody knew how to wash it we just vacuumed it once in a while. Gods know what was lurking down at the bottom there.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

The arguments I've heard are that carpets are warmer and that having solid flooring is loud. When I get a place of my own I shall get rugs. Ones that can be washed. Seems much easier to me. Particularly when one of my cats pukes on the carpet fairly frequently. Anyway, carpets are damnably expensive.

Date:

There is an easy counter to both those arguments: woolen socks or nice warm slippers.

Lush Guru

Date:

It's not just footsteps that are loud unfortunately, since my upstairs neighbours have taken up their carpets I can hear their phones, tv, conversations...

Carpets ftw if you ask me. Yes you need to clean it, but it's not like it's difficult. Vacuuming and the occasional rug doctor for me (occasional like...when we move out).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

We had carpet in our bathroom in one of our houses. I used to have to leap into and out of the bath to avoid stepping on unsightly bits... which probably made the problem worse, but god it was horrible.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh goodness, there is never a good reason for bathroom carpets.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Carpets help insulate houses as well. I suppose you could just quit heating your house altogether, and wear copious layers at all times, but then you're asking for damp and other such fun problems. Wooden floors with rugs are alright, but without anything on the floor rooms tend to echo and in flats/semi-detached/terrace properties that can either mean whispering in your own home or irritating the neighbours a lot.

Alka's right, carpets just need a bit of a vacuuming every fortnight or so (or, yanno, when company is coming round) to keep bits and dust at bay and then the odd shampooing/steaming for spills or spring cleaning. We've always had carpets in every room (bar the kitchen and bathroom) all my life, aside from the first few weeks when we moved into this house. That short amount of time was horrible: you feel the cold in the air and not just on the floor, so you had to heat the place longer and it felt hollow and echoed terribly.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Date:

There are other ways to insulate a house. The livingroom with a carpet where I lived was no warmer nor quieter than the other rooms either, despite us being students and not able to afford having to have it as warm as we'd like inside, and I was at the time living in Bergen which really is both cold and humid in winter.

But anyway, everything that can be achieved with a wall-to-wall carpet can be achieved with rugs. Which can be washed.
Personally I'm way too clumsy, have too many animals and are far too much of a domestic slut to deal with the amount of cleaning and dusting needed to keep either in ship shape.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh god I hate carpets. I have asthma and I'm allergic to dust mites so carpets are a big no-no for me. Nice wooden floors ftw.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

We have lovely wooden floors and they're so nice. I would like to take a hoover to the gaps that are full of crap though. Shame we don't own one.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Date:

Haha! I'd say that's one for carpets rather than badly laid wooden floors. One of the floors in this house is really crap, it got gaps that I dare not vacuum in fear I'll raise a balrog from it's depths.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Some gaps are definitely wider than others. They look pretty swish though. :P

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If Demonchilde doesn't start taking her damn hair out of the shower drain herself, I'm going to cut her hair off. The drain was blocked with, mostly, long brown hair. And a few bits of everyone else's hair that just got stuck with hers. And everything else that goes down a shower drain, resulting in a slimy, strangely waterproof lump of gunk that I had to pull out to clear. And I only realised it was blocked when the base of the shower started flooding... and I was in the shower already. Somehow getting washed after that didn't feel clean at all. Worst bit is, I think my dad complained of the same thing last week. She should not have enough hair to have totally blocked the drain again, even if she washed it every day.

I'm not sure which is worse, the prospect of her getting an en suite room next year and having to learn all this stuff or the idea of her sharing a bathroom with other people and them having to endure her magical sealant hair.

Date:

I was going to say that in my dream-house all the floors would be concrete and sloping gently towards the middle with a drain so that when cleaning I could just take the hose to it, but I had completely forgotten the hair that get stuck in drains. I really can't win, can I?

I can't even remember when the drain in the bathroom was last cleaned. Please dear gods, let the hairs just swosh gently away and not be down there in a slimy decaying lump that has to be taken care of.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I just use drain unblocker when the water in the shower starts to not go down (available from your local friendly poundshops), I leave it there overnight before rinsing it away and it apparently breaks through everything down there. Plus we can't take our drain cover thingy off so we couldn't clean it with our hands even if we felt like it.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh God how funny that the last thing discussed in this thread was drains. I pulled a lump of hair/grease/mud?! out of the shower drain this morning and almost heaved. Time to take a visit to my friendly neighbourhood poundshop for the aforementioned drain unblocker. Blurgh.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

When I wasn't well I hadn't done my dishes in... a long time. My sister came up and done them for me and she came through with a disgusted look on her face and said, 'Kristy. You must do your dishes more often, water isn't supposed to have a smell'

So ashamed.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

First I got lube on the floor. Forgot to wipe it up, so the Biter slipped in t. Then I got kebab sauce on the floor, in almost exactly the same spot. And this time I slipped in it. I wonder what I'll next get on that spot on the floor.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^That made me chuckle!

We're moving house in about a week and are just on the verge of starting the "SHIT THE FLAT IS A STATE" panic-cleaning. If anyone has any good ideas for dealing with/getting rid of the following, I'd be most grateful:

* Getting hair dye stains out of tile grout
* Dealing with the awful discrepancy in colour between the living room carpet proper, and the living room carpet that's been under a rug for the last two years (which is a terrifying number of shades lighter)
* Fixing/making less awful the small hole we burned in the kitchen worktop (we've fixed it with silicone glue, and I think we're unlikely to be able to do anything better, but any ideas are good)
* Cleaning behind our oven which is BOLTED TO THE WALL (what did you think we were going to do, landlords, nick it?).
* Removing/minimising the huge red mark our red sofa has made on the cream wall behind it (technically not our fault, but it still looks awful).

Also, if you can remind me of places to clean that I'll probably forget about otherwise, that'd be useful too!

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

Annis, my Mummio uses neat bleach on an old toothbrush/dish washing brush to get rid of hair dye stains on grout, it works a charm.

However, I can't help you with any of the others. Sorry.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I was going to suggest the bleach and a toothbrush for the grout. For the oven is there any way you could use a hairdryer or something to blow the worst of the dust out?
As for stuff you might forget, wiping/dusting the top of the bloody skirting boards. They get all dusty and gross. HAVE FUN!

Silly Whore.

«First  <  1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us