Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: How do you feel about Girl Guiding's latest promise?

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:
How do you feel about Girl Guiding's latest promise?

I'm sure many of you have heard that the Girl Guides have dropped the 'god' bit from the promise to ensure that everyone who makes the promise can believe in every word they say.

So now, instead of "to love my God", girl guides will say "to be true to myself and develop my beliefs".

Personally I think it's rather lovely and inclusive. It's not against anything, just pro everything. Apparently some people don't like it very much. What about you?

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Date:

Um... also, should we come up with a mooky oath, maybe? Something that every new person on the forum is encouraged to put their hand on their heart and say when they make their first post if they like? I mean, the mission statement decrees that it would probably be very cool to ride a turtle, but...

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I like the change... And I think the Mooky pledge is a fun idea. Maybe one of our resident Girl Guiders would start us off with some ideas?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I personally like it, I'm just not looking forward to trying to teach the girls the new version. It's the kind of thing I was hoping for when we did the questionnaire. I've not spoken to many other Guiders but some are just a bit confused about what 'my beliefs' might mean to the girls. Rainbows (5-7) mostly believe in Father Christmas, and unless they're from particularly religious families don't have much of a concept of religious beliefs. However, there isn't really a way to completely iron out all the ins and outs and possibilities, and still make the Promise short enough to be memorable.

My unit is now looking for a way to adapt the traditional opening and closing songs to reflect the changes. Although there is one thing I don't agree with (on a factual level, not a moral one). GGUK think that this new promise might increase new members... I've never noticed anyone avoid Guiding BECAUSE of the Promise (most don't even pay that much attention to the 'god' bit) so I don't know if it'll actually bring in people who otherwise wouldn't have joined. But it's a good thing I think.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I was a Brownie guide as a kid and I really hated it. One of the reasons was that I had to commit to God so often when I simply didn't believe- our troop was especially religiously focused and would put pressure on us to attend church on Sundays. As I never went, Brown Owl started giving me "important tasks" to do on Sundays so I would have to go. I understand my experience of Brownies was especially militant on the God side, but I think a promise that encourages young girls to be individuals (be true to myself) and to think critically and for themselves (to develop my beliefs) is infinitely better than telling them to think in one particular way.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I might have said this before, but I think your experience was a one-off as I've worked with lots of different units in different locations (mostly churches of various denominations, a couple of non-religious buildings) and I've never noticed that kind of extremity. We encourage girls to come to church parade but only for special occasions like Mother's Day and the Christingle service.

Getting a bit off-topic, but the whole bother of taking girls to church would be settled if there were more public buildings we could rent out once a week that had the facilities we need and didn't cost the earth (most units can't afford more than £15-£20 a night).

Mooky pledge? I might actually think this over...

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

little charlie wrote:

I was a Brownie guide as a kid and I really hated it. One of the reasons was that I had to commit to God so often when I simply didn't believe- our troop was especially religiously focused and would put pressure on us to attend church on Sundays. As I never went, Brown Owl started giving me "important tasks" to do on Sundays so I would have to go. I understand my experience of Brownies was especially militant on the God side, but I think a promise that encourages young girls to be individuals (be true to myself) and to think critically and for themselves (to develop my beliefs) is infinitely better than telling them to think in one particular way.

Precisely. I was in both Scouts and Girl Guides, and one of the main reasons why I quit both was because of the sheer volume of prayers, committing to God, thanking God, etc. Wasn't good for me, and wasn't good for a lot of other kids. I think the new promise for GGUK is great. Though I would say CGI's promise still includes god, and it's highly unlikely that will change. The Scouts were more inclusive, so hopefully they've changed theirs in the past few years since I left... they'd certainly be more open to change anyway. 

Also, a Mooky pledge would be awesome :) 

-- Edited by Indigo Empress on Thursday 20th of June 2013 07:57:47 PM

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Magda Mookychick wrote:

I'm sure many of you have heard that the Girl Guides have dropped the 'god' bit from the promise to ensure that everyone who makes the promise can believe in every word they say.

So now, instead of "to love my God", girl guides will say "to be true to myself and develop my beliefs".

Personally I think it's rather lovely and inclusive. It's not against anything, just pro everything. Apparently some people don't like it very much. What about you?

Can't fault that ; as you say,it's even more inclusive and I don't see why people should be objecting to "God" being cut out,because "my beliefs" can obviously include religious ones.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Date:

Cariad has just written a piece about the new Girlguiding promise for Mookychick. She runs her own girlguiding outfit (does that mean she's a Brown Owl? Forgive me, I'm not sure) and what with the new feminist head of the organisation she's fairly delighted with how things are turning out in this area.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Magda, she's a Brown Owl if she's a Brownie leader. I don't think other sections have specific titles any more.

Date:

Thank you!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

We spoke to our Brownies about this today, and they all seemed to like the change. We also spoke about changing our opening songs (spoilering those just in case anyone is interested what they are)

Spoiler

Slightly surprisingly, over half of the girls DIDN'T want us to change the songs even though they like the new promise. That might be because they just like the songs (although we're working on getting rid of the specific 'god' bits but keeping the same basic words and tune), but it might also be because there's a Catholic school in our catchment area and several of the girls consider themselves to be religious. None of our girls (or their parents) have ever said they have a problem with that side of things, although they're open to the new changes as they still allow for beliefs: just less specific ones.  

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us