Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Arrested Development

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Arrested Development

There must be other fans here, I know Paula is, anyway :p Who else loves it, and who else is watching the new series?

AD is hilarious, convoluted, in-joke-laden, heavily-foreshadowing, twisty-turny and my absolute favourite TV series ever. For those who don't know, it ran for 3 seasons and had rave critical reviews but poor ratings, and was cancelled very abruptly in 2006. Since then it's become a bit of a cult favourite, and for ages there was talk of making a film and bringing it back, but they've finally done it and the new season went live on Netflix yesterday. People have been ridiculously excited about it but it's had a very mixed reception. Has anyone else been watching it, and if so what do you think?

I'm only up to 3/15, so there's definitely room for change, but

Spoiler

How's everyone else doing with it, and how does everyone enjoy the show in general? It's so laden with in-jokes and hilarity and if you haven't seen it before I really, really recommend sitting down and watching it with a vodka rocks and a piece of toast/Skip Scramble/juicebox/cornball/whole thing of candy beans... and watch out for loose seals, of course :p

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I love Arrested Development! But I haven't watched the new episodes yet, so I'll have to come back to this thread when I have :)

Liv

My Tumblr :)

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I'm up to episode 7, and it seems to be getting more into its stride, but I agree with your assessment. I'm enjoying it, but I'm finding watching it quite hard work due to the weird structure... I'll be back when I've watched more!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Me? No, not me :p

Yeah, I agree with everything you've said. I haaate the new format. I also seems like each episode references the previous ones and it just gets repetitive. The jokes are also more offensive in the new series, before they were smart and witty and there's still a bit of that there, but eh. Overall though I'm just so happy to have them all back, they feel like my real family (it's early, my filter is not on yet) and the show is still great, but they set the bar really high with the previous episodes and I guess it's hard to repeat that.
Also glad you mentioned Portia. I read her memoir not long ago and I was glad she was doing a bit better, and she mentioned how much she loved working on Arrested Development (and slated everything else, it was fabulous) but in the new season, she's not looking great. I really hope she's not ill again, she's such a sweet person and I want her to be well.

Also, Lucille. I don't know how I feel about her - she reminds me of my grandma BIG TIME, they even look alike, and I named my lizard after her, I LOVE HER... but then there's also a slight attraction there? Again, filter is off. I think it's just a major fondness, we'll leave it at that.

All this said, I'm only five episodes in so I can't really judge ;) I'm looking forward to seven onwards where Rowan said it picks up.

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Lush Guru

Date:

I was convinced for half of the episode that they'd replaced Portia De Rossi, she looks SO different. Puffy of face.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Yeah, this exactly! I didn't recognise her for ages.

Harlan :-)

("they" pronouns please, mookyfolk)

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Yeah, so I was up to episode 6, not 7, and I've just watched episode 7, Gob's episode, - it is amazing! But my god, you think Portia looks different, wait until you see Steve Holt..!

-- Edited by Antonym on Wednesday 29th of May 2013 12:32:03 PM

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us