Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Mooky Gardening Thread

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Mooky Gardening Thread

I've been meaning to start a wee gardening thread for a while, as I've noticed several Mooks are green-thumbed. Share photos of your green babies, ask and share tips, seed swaps, etc. Please, dearest mods, do merge this if a similar thread exists - I've looked and can't find anything.

So after a particularly long-lasting frost and a rather wobbly spring, it's FINALLY getting sunny and warm in Ireland, and my plants are thriving. Almost all of my flowers and herbs died off completely in the cold (although I'm hoping that some of last year's sweetpeas will be well hardened-off now and will poke their sleepy little heads out of the soil some time soon) so ATM I've just got my young cherry blossom tree, an apple sapling and a salix willow sapling. Oh, and a jasmine creeper that I've furiously kept alive in a sunny window that is now very happliy living outside, hurray! I'm incredibly proud of it, given the notoriously fragile nature of jasmine plants.

Also, vegan gardeners - if you've never tried it, a bit of a crushed up spirulina tablet in your watering can makes a FANTASTIC earth-friendly plant food!

I'm going to start planting seeds very soon (I know, I know, I do it late every year, but then they're all blooming by my birthday!) On that note, I've just ordered 100 borage seeds but I'll never use them all, would anyone like a few? I've had borage the past few years and it's definitely one of my favourites, it looks beautiful, it's good for the bee population and it's edible :) I can probably only send seeds within Ireland and the UK, though, because of laws and such.

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I like growing Avocado. You clean the stone, put tooth picks in and suspend it in a jar of water (Lots of how to guides available).

Image 1, Image 2 of mine

I haven't had a lot of luck with herbs, I got a set with mini plant pots and only the Chive made it.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oooh! I have my eye on plants at work, but unfortunately, I don't know if I can plant anymore trees in our yard. The flower market is coming up soon, I have iris, lily and various other bulbs ready to go soon. I;m probably going to start growing pumpkin seedlings inside first and then transfer then outside since something enjoys eating my darling pumpkin plants. My pumpkin and lily plants are my babies.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I can't wait to have a garden! Definitely want to have a vegetable patch.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I can't wait until I can actually plant something outside. How I envy you people in southern climes! Here there is still patches of snow here and there. But things are coming along all right in my windowsills. I look forward to the late summer when I can just go out in my garden and gather my dinner every day.

Steph, do you have any tips regarding growing pumpkins? I think I know the basics of it, but last year was my first growing them and I could do with some nifty tricks.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

One of the things I'd really like to grow in a garden of my own-- besides an herb selection, mint and coriander and such-- is pumpkin and watermelon.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Irliar- They like sunshine and compost. I have to fight the deer off so I sometimes mix a little red pepper in the soil. Not sure if it helps or not.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't wait to have a garden! I wasn't allowed to plant things in the garden of our family house, because one of my brothers was apparently "green fingered" (he really wasn't, he did gardening club at school once and my mother got the idea into her head) so all the soil was reserved for his vegetable patch, and the birds kept making off with his produce. I tried growing herbs in pots in my bedroom, but my mother confiscated them because she said I was making a mess.

Blackberry is a chili-growing expert, so I think he can't wait to have a garden either.

-- Edited by cowl on Saturday 27th of April 2013 12:39:02 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

when i moved into the current house i had a back garden that looked like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/8679770257/in/photostream

believe it or not, there's a set of sandstone steps in that lot!

the first year has been spent uncovering what's undereath the ground elder and borage, retrieving the stone that's buried under years of erosion of the slope, removing loads of carpet and other household debris and sitting with my head in my hands wondering how i'm going to get it back into shape without spending any money (it's a rented house, so there's only so much i'm willing to buy when it comes to hard landscaping materials)

year 2 has been spent doing a lot of strimming and spraying, we're now down to a managable level of invasive weeds and have fenced part of the garden off so we can have a lawn and an area to sit in that the dogs can't trash. (trip likes to dig holes and mabel likes to pluck grass out by the roots. no) year two has also involved repairing existing walls to both the back and front gardens.

this year is the year that things started to really move on out there, i've chopped our side of the 20ft privet to a more managable 6ft, used old tree trunks to crete a terraced area at the end of the garden to stop the soil erosion and i'm leaving that area to grow wild with nettles, borage, ground elder and brambles... the long braches from the privet chopping i've used as posts to support my chicken wire fence around the lawn. (i told you i wasn't prepare to spend any cash i didn't have to!)

i've built the 'catio' and brick path alongside the lawn. this part of the garden is so full of nasty weeds that the only solution was to cover the lot with weed control fabric and forget about it. i'm using this are as a 'holding pen' for loads of smaller pieces of sandstone for use in the 'retaining wall and step rehabilitiation' project (that will probably take most of this year to finish) as i take the peices out of the catio to fill gaps in walls i replace them with plum slate chippings. i also found a few broken waste pipes when excavating, so i've dug them into the ground to use as planters when my geranium seeds have sprouted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/8685037973/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/8685038495/in/photostream/

once i've stabilised the steps up the slope and terraced it to make it safer to get up, then i can start thinking about raised beds and planting some veggies, but until then i'm going to have to content myself with some flowers in planters.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Honoured Mook

Date:

I don't have a garden of my own right now because I live in an apartment, but I've got some plants on my windowsill.

I have a cacti that I rescued from somewhere a few years ago, it was tiny then and nearly dead but I've brought it back and it's about a foot tall now. I've also got a new-zealand tree fern, that's staying in it's small pot for now though, since if you plant them in the ground they fill out and grow up to 6 feet tall, and I just can't deal with that right now. I also have a tiny pretty thing known as "string of buttons" and that just keeps getting taller as well.

I bought manface a chili growing kit so hopefully when we move into our own place we can cultivate that. When I lived at home I grew tomatoes, cucumbers and strawberries in my parents' garden. They all did really well so when I get my own place I'll do that again.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

My Daddio grows aubergines and chillies at home and they are lovely!

I'd really like to get into gardening, but at the moment we don't have a garden, just a balcony. Any ideas/advice for someone who's like to grow veggies but doesn't have much space?

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I was going to ask nearly this same thing. We have a fairly large, well-lit back yard and I want to start growing things too. I don't tend to use fresh herbs because I'm lazy and prefer stuff ready chopped/crushed and out of a jar, so there's no point in me growing herbs...but what about veg?

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Victoryxx wrote:

Any ideas/advice for someone who's like to grow veggies but doesn't have much space?

vertical planting: there's loads of ideas on here, some are better than others.

http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-id/?sort=none&q=vertical+planting

of course the perfect solution to growing your own food without a garden is to go hydroponic. the initial outlay can seem quite pricey, but it will soon start paying for itself (and as long as you're not planning on setting up a cannabis factory, the electricity used is pretty low) hydroponics looks really scary at first but most of the systems available now are pretty idiot proof.

these guys are at the respectable end of indoor farming, they've got great staff that are happy to chat and give advice if you have one near to you.

http://www.growell.co.uk/

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't have a garden either, just a large-ish balcony, but I'm on the ground floor so it feels more like decking... I just have everything in pots, and they're all very happy! I grow my herbs indoors to keep 'em happy year-round, but I definitely think veggies - roots in particular - would get along just perfect in a nice big pot. Pots are everywhere ATM - pound shops and discount stores always keep them at this time of year, it's great.

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Every single time this thread pops up, I think it's about grooming one's ladygarden. I'm terribly immature.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MissChris wrote:

I just have everything in pots, and they're all very happy!

we grew some of these crazy cauliflowers in pots last year and they did really well (they didn't get too much catterpillar chomping either, we tried some savoy cabbage but the cabbage white butterflies nommed them to death.  i meant too get some roman cauliflower started off earlier this year but the april snow kinda put my seed sowing plans out of whack.

http://www.leenaeats.com/blog/media/blogs/all/January2010/46/DSC04163.JPG

in my previous gardens i've done runner beans and tomatoes in pots and they've always done well. i tend to keep plant saucers under my pots in the summer and give the tops a good inch of gravel as a mulch to help stop them drying out too much. my front garden is south facing with not much natural shade so they need all the help they can get if they're on the front.

fortunatley we've got the giant fish tanks in the front room, so when we do water changes on them we can pump the water through a pipe out of the ground floor window and water the front garden... we've got rhubarb strategicaly placed to take advantage of all that fishy fertiliser biggrin 

Honoured Mook

Date:

My dad kept lettuce one year when I was living with him, lovely little green hearth-shaped plants. They got big, and he said "you can cut it as you need it for your salads." I heard "cut it for salads," so I went out and hacked down every plant, put them in a bag, and put them in the fridge. Of course it all went bad. Poor lettuce. :(

"All is not lost; the unconquerable will, and study of revenge,
Immortal hate, and courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome.
That glory never shall his wrath or might extort from me."

-Lucifer, Paradise Los
t

Date:

aww, poor lettuce. Good thing lettuce is easy.

You don't actually need a big bag for growing potatoes, you can just buy one of those plastic bags with garden soil, cut a cross in it and put the potato in there. If it can't go down it'll go sideways. I've been growing potatoes in old washing buckets that I've poked a few holes in, works a treat and is cheaper than pots.

The best space saving tips I've heard about is to graft tomatoe plants onto a potatoe plant. Food both above and under ground. I don't really need to save space, but I think I'm going to try it just because :)

-- Edited by Irilar on Friday 3rd of May 2013 11:05:35 PM

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have a micro-garden which consists of two cacti and Sid, my venus fly trap. I'd quite like to start growing basil at some point too.. homemade pesto would be good

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Chihuahua wrote:

One of the things I'd really like to grow in a garden of my own-- besides an herb selection, mint and coriander and such-- is pumpkin and watermelon.

I want to grow pumpkins and watermelons too. I wonder where I can find yellow watermelon seeds, it would be awesome to have yellow watermelons! I also want a few cactus plants, pineapples, and bananas.

-- Edited by MarshmallowNoise on Tuesday 21st of May 2013 10:55:14 PM

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have a year round herb garden that I baby.
I also love having flower gardens but with moving so much I can't really keep one.

Lights Fires in the Genitals of Mooks Everywhere.

Tumblr

Facebook

Date:

MarshmallowNoise wrote:
The Chihuahua wrote:

I want to grow pumpkins and watermelons too. I wonder where I can find yellow watermelon seeds, it would be awesome to have yellow watermelons! I also want a few cactus plants, pineapples, and bananas.

-- Edited by MarshmallowNoise on Tuesday 21st of May 2013 10:55:14 PM

In yellow watermelons? Some of the fruit and veg you get in shop are sterile, but it is worth a try. I've noticed that the seeds I've harvested myself (either from store bought fruit & veg or my own plants) generally germinate faster and grow better than seeds I buy.

Date:

Most of the plants that were in the greenhouse froze to death.

Rest of the plants were still inside, but most of them have got a spider mite infestation Probably from one of Mumilar's potted plants. I've been spraying the plants with cold soap water, but not all of them like that.

Fuck this shit, I just want to burn everything.

Anyone know where to find predatory mites in nature? They are expensive to buy and I'm skint.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

spider mites are proper bastards and it's scary how quickly they can devastate your plants... you have my sympathies.

where to find phytoseiulus in nature i don't know (and trapping sufficient would probably be a nightmare in itself) i have found a pack of 2000 of the little buggers on ebay for £22.95 which should be more than enough for a heavy infestation... not the news you were hoping for, i know, but if the soap water isn't working you might have to buy some of the wee beasties.

sb plant invigorator also works really well (£15.00 - 500ml) it's non toxic and works by the same action as soap water but it's much more effective,  highly recommended by a couple of weed growers i know and they know a thing or two about spider mite infestations, lol.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-spider-mite-killer-phytoseiulus-economy-pack-2000-phyto-organic-/150975828021?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item2326dc5035

http://www.sbpi.co.uk/Home.aspx

Date:

Thank you Lady C. My plan was to find out where the phytoseiulus live and bring a few branches into the greenhouse. Not sure if it would be enough, but I thought it might have been worth a try.

My worry about the soap water is first and foremost that it doesn't take care of the eggs of the little monsters. I might end up having a new infestation on my hands next year :( The more hardy/bigger plants seem to thrive with a daily spraying with soap water, so I might have just got rid of the weaker plants and hope for the best.

I hadn't thought of plant invigorator, thanks for that. I might send Mumilar shopping. After all, it was her stupid potted plants that were the source of these evil pests in the first place.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Just posting to say I've spent the past few days weeding and preparing a plot of land (my parents own some land so I'm using some of it to grow food this year) for some planting and now I'm planted some onions, radishes and transferred some sweetcorn from pot to land. Planning on planting some more stuff this week.

Unfortunately a snail got in the greenhouse and ate some of the sweetcorn. :( Considering making and planting a couple of beer traps near the outdoor sweetcorn to try and protect them.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

ridiculously proud of my small steps:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/9193562610/in/set-72157634441210759

mullien moth catterpillars are nomming happily on the budleia:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/9190753183/in/set-72157634441210759

mabel getting creative on the lawn:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/9190757141/in/set-72157634441210759

floating hedge (i love a bit of creative hedge clipping)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/9193558004/in/set-72157634441210759

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Beautiful pictures, lady c, especially the caterpillar one. And the steps are very cool! :)

It's been raining non stop for the last three weeks so the sunflowers I planted a month ago all died.

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

cabbage white butterfly eggs on my nasturtiums. summer is official!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/9386643798/

moley wanted me to squish them but i was all like: ''no way!! it's nature, innit, leave them alone!''

honestly, i don't mind loosing a few cheap plants grown from seed of it helps keep the butterfly numbers up. it's been a rocky few years for bugs and bees in britain and it's lovely to see all the insects coming in to take advantage of the wildlife planting.

(strangely enough, my cauliflowers are untouched so far, so perhaps the nasturtiums work as a companion planter?)

moths in the kitchen ... i hate seeing them battering themselves on the lights. this one was freaky enough to take a picture of before being trapped and released, hopefully not straight into the waiting mouths of the local bat colony.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/9386873410/

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I've got little self-seeded coriander planties popping up everywhere, exciting! I'll wait a few more weeks until I'm sure it's definitely warming up, then I can go nuts planting things, hooray!

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us