Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Programming, Creative Tech and Jobs in that Sector

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Programming, Creative Tech and Jobs in that Sector

I've been planning on switching subjects at uni next semester.

Seeing as I want to do something that is scientific or technological, but still with applications and preferably a bit creative, I've mostly been looking at computer science and programming.

Is there anybody who had experience in this? What is it like to study, how much theory is it, etc.
How mathematical is it? (I'm currently studying college level-maths, and while I'm not exactly a prodigy, I do get by. I'm more mathematically inclined than the average person, anyway.)
How many creative things can you do with a degree like that, or similar?

And also, how many jobs that combine creativity, problem-solving preferably something artistic or design-wise, and tech or science are there? I might have missed something.
While I do still love physics and maths, which I'm studying now, it feels like too much theory and not learning enough things that I can make use of and a future in this would mean I don't get to be creative enough (stuff like experiment seminars and labs are a lot of fun, however. Trying to remember formulas for solving calculations that are only used for even more abstract calculations, isn't. I want to feel like I produce something, like what I do amounts to something tangible.)

Um yeah, I'm unsure if I phrased all this correctly. But you get the gist of what I'm trying to say, I hope. Will anyone help me with this problem in deciding on my future? smile

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hey I can't answer this but my boyfriend studies that sort of thing so if you want I'll get him to put a response here or chat to you on Steam so you can ask him a bunch of stuff on there.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I like programming and practically lived for programming throughout secondary school but I don't study computer science. My boyfriend does system maintenance stuff and a bit of programming, I have two friends who are programmers and my cousin also worked as a programmer for a couple of years.

Entry level jobs aren't very creative but I'm told it gets more interesting as you get older and more experienced. However, if you're a programmer, you're more likely to work in banking than create computer games. My friend works for an ISP, another friend of mine who also studied computer science is an app developer for a firm and my cousin worked for various start-up companies. He eventually decided the work wasn't creative enough, went back to uni, studied Philosophy and is now a theatre director.

You don't really need a degree in computer science to be a programmer though - any science degree will do, provided that you do a fair bit of programming in your free time. Out of the programmers I know, only one studied computer science - my cousin studied Physics, another friend studied Pharmaceutical science and my boyfriend doesn't even have a degree yet. He finished the "teknikprogrammet", got some relevant work experience and that was it.

Have you done a lot programming before? If you like your course and the only thing that bothers you is the fact that it's too theoretical, maybe you could start coding in your free time. Could you just take a few courses this semester and then switch to computer science next year if you really like it? I think programming can be very creative but I don't know whether studying it is enjoyable too. I know a couple of people who loved programming, went to uni and ended up working in a completely different field because they felt like couldn't face coding ever again.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ok so I asked him and he asked if you had any particular modules in mind for the course that you were looking to swap to so he could explain it a bit better.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh, I completely forgot about this thread! So sorry for that :/

But, hm... No modules, the Swedish school system doesn't work like that. We just do a general program for a few years, then focus on something in particular.

I'm planning on starting a few programming projects (or well, projects that I've wanted to do for a while but which include programming) soon, and also there'll soon be summer with lots of time to focus on such things.

I've officially sent in the application for my uni's computer science program now, although I will try and alter it as much as I can (for instance, I've already done their first year maths courses, so I'm thinking of doing some sort of business/entrepreneurship thingie while the others do those maths courses).

Thanks so much for trying to help me with my decision, girls.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Well if you have any questions let me know, and I'll forward them to him and possibly do one of those invite to conversation thingies on Steam so you can chat to him directly for a little while about it.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us