Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Corporate America

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Corporate America

It seems that corporate america has gone into dictatorship. In the early 2000s people could express themselves however they wanted online. Now people get fired over the slightest thing online. I'm sure that's not the only way companies try to control people. In my opinion, we should live in a union state everywhere.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

This is quite a vague point. But from a Law and Business student point of view: An individual working for a company is a representative of that company, so the things they choose to put online may reflect badly on the company, which from the company's point of view is never a good things, clean reputations are preferable.
In the early 2000's, the internet was not as hugely influential as it is now, and policies have to change to reflect that. For example, Facebook is one of the largest and most influential marketing tools available. Many workplaces will see that and see that it is also a way of judging an individual's character from a distance. So if you have two potential employees:
Jane, who has a professional/smart profile picture, a neat list of all her previous employers and uses FB to converse with her lovely nieces and nephews.
John, who has a profile picture of a ganja leaf, says he currently works for the KKK and uses FB to arrange drug deals with his mates.

Guess who they're gonna employ?

It's a fact that online profiles are public, and potentially something that more people need to be educated about.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

International Mook of Mystery (mod)

Date:

As an employer in my own right (I do not own my own business, but am tasked with finding people I think would fit well within the studio environment I've been hired to manage), I have to agree with lollyPOP.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that a person online and a person in "real" life are becoming one-in-the-same in the eyes of others. The social dynamic between the two identities will continue to shrink as more aspects of a society begin to have their own online presence. Corporations have had said presence for years, and now that they realize the power of social media, they want to be able to control and quash any negative aspects that it might bring about. This includes firing--or not hiring to begin with--people who express or do things online that does not hold with company policy or mission.

Of course a person is fully within their rights to post what they want online, be it partying, personal beliefs, or even ranting about what a dick their boss is. But I also believe it's within a company's rights to act as they see fit to fire a person when they act in a way said company doesn't like. Example: why should a manager of a company keep a person who rants about what a [insert insult of choice] they are on Facebook? The employee clearly has no respect for the manager, and just because it was presumably done outside of the workplace doesn't mean that no action should be taken.

"I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It's so effin' heroic."--George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I don't think it's fair to say 'the slightest thing'. They're things that would always have got you into trouble for (the best examples I can think of are slacking off and posting online about it and slagging off their bosses) but now they're more visible. I'm sure if you look you'll find examples of people being fired for writing things in newspaper columns prior to the social networking explosion. People who want to work in certain professions have to be able to maintain a certain standard, and be willing to do that anytime they're visible to potential clients or co-workers. It's not just corporations either. Teachers are discouraged from having Facebook profiles (a teacher friend of mine has said she isn't allowed one at all, though I'm not sure what would happen if she got one, or to new staff members who already have one). And I reckon if a police officer used his Facebook to 'like' a load of wild club nights, and posted on pages about excessive drinking, he'd be much less respected when it came to arresting local people who 'like' the same things.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Hm, I expect that a certain microsoft boss will soon loose his job now then? #dealwithit

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Thank you very much. You all have given me much more clarity!!!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Irilar wrote:

Hm, I expect that a certain microsoft boss will soon loose his job now then? #dealwithit

That dude "is no longer with Microsoft" apparently. Bet he got a nice pay off though. 

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us