Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Musical reccomendations?

Honoured Mook

Date:
Musical reccomendations?

I'm sorry if there's already a thread like this, mods please shove them together if that's the case.

So basically, I've been stuck in a rather deep musical rut these past couple of years. I used to be very into music, and finding new music, but that pretty much dissappeared along with all my other interests when the depression came. So for the past two or so years I've mostly been listening to Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Calexico, occassionally Warren Zevon, and not a lot else. And as a result, I've mostly forgotten most of the great bands I used to like, and don't even know where to start rediscovering them again and where or how to begin discovering new music. Which makes me very sad. I've been through my last fm, and my computer, but there's so much on both, a lot of which I'm no longer interested in, that I don't really know where to start. So I was hoping that maybe some of you mooks may be able to help.

Basically, I'm looking for any musical suggestions that you like, or may think I might like, regardless of genres and the like. At the moment I'm very interested in getting back into folk music and the various related bands and sub-genres again (mainly because I'm listening to the Levellers right now, but also because I used to really like that kinda stuff. Especially the folk metally stuff, and the less folky but cabarety-Idon't know how to describey-stuff), though honestly I've always been an all musical genres type, and any new/unusual/just plain good suggestions of what to listen to/where to start would be greatly appreciated. I can list off a few of my favourite bands and the ones I've been listening to over the past few weeks if anyone wants, though I'm not entirely sure how useful that would be. THough I will say straight off thta Amanda Palmer and Emily Autumn both piss me off, and The World Inferno Friendship Society are pretty damned great. I dunno. Just any suggestions of music to listen to would be great. Fanks.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Here's a few, you can do with 'em what you want. They aren't NEW, however-- about the closest I get to new is Elbow.

I really like Dead Can Dance, specifically when Brendan sings. I would recommend checking out one of his two solo records.

Peter Hammill, 'And Close As This', is an all-time favourite record.

If you've never heard of This Mortal Coil, I would recommend checking out 'Filigree and Shadow' or tracks on it. Sort of an indie supergroup of 4AD artists and associates.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Haha, Elbow were my favourite band for a while a few years back :)

Peter Hamill - I'd forgotten how much I like Van Der Graaf Generator! I'll go listen to that.

Thank you, I'll look them up :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm normally pretty bad at judging people's tastes, but I'll give it a go.

For something vaguely folky perhaps Katzenjammer?

Or if you'd prefer something more Eastern Europe/ gypsy infulenced, I'm currently in love with Gogol Bordello.

And a final sugestion of The Urban Voodoo Machine, on the off chance you'd be interested in some sort of blues-ey cabaret.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Honoured Mook

Date:

^I used to adore Gogol Bordello, and I definitely recall listening to Katzenjammer in the past.. I'll look them up again now, as I can't really remember any of their songs. But yeah, they're definitely very much in one of the veins of music I am most interested in at the moment. And I'll look up The Urban Voodoo Machine, I'm fairly sure I haven't heard of them before, thanks!

I'm also very very fond of metal and punk (and their offspring/variations thereof) if that helps anyone. Oh and electonic cyber-y stuff. And certain rap. And.. Probably most genres, actually. I just can't remember many individual bands, and don't know where to begin finding new ones again :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Cabaret stuff: The Tiger Lillies, Circus Contraption, Detektivbyrån, Caravan Palace.
Folk metal: Otyg, Heljareyga, Myrkgrav, Svartsot, Thyrfing, Moonsorrow, Tyr, (early) Vintersorg, Finntroll...
Alestorm for awesome pirate metal.
Assorted folky stuff: Bowerbirds, Death In June, Margot & The Nuclear So And Sos, Garmarna, Alela Diane, Emily Jane White, Tallest Man On Earth, The Mountain Goats

I'll be back with MORE.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ :D Thank you! You've probably now provided me with potentially hours of fun. And Alestorm are awesome. I forgot to mention them actually, I've been listening to a lot of Alestorm, even when I was really ill.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Hiya,
I dont know what to suggest so I will just share my two fave artist at the moment.
1. Paloma Faith, shes got the most powerful raw voice.
2. Lana Del Rey, I find her music honest and heartbraking :)

The universe is like one be old book. Full of chapters. Humans are but a "page"

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm a little tired so I will add to this tomorrow if I remember, however, for now this will do.

For electronic stuff I'd recommend Mind.In.A.Box and VNV Nation, Ladytron are good too. I also like Infected Mushroom, but they're a little more out there I feel.

You can always go a little retro too on the electric front, Depeche Mode, New Order and Eurythmics are all excellent.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Take heed, I'm back.

If you fancy a bit of swing mixed with metal, Diablo Swing Orchestra are bloody brilliant.
As for electronic stuff, Agonoize are a nifty EBM band. I'm also quite partial to The Knife, iamamiwhoami and Fever Ray for dark electronic tunes. Oh, and Wolfsheim for melancholy German synth. And Scroobius Pip for excellent rap.
And I forgot to mention Nick Drake when I was talking about folky music.

Now I'm going to pimp some of my favourite bands and artists just because. I apologise in advance, I get very excited about these things. I hope you don't know all of these bands already!
The Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, And Also The Trees, X-Mal Deutschland and Joy Division for epic 80s goth rock.
Specimen and Cinema Strange for deathrock.
The Twilight Sad are lovely, their first two (I think!) albums are more folky, their most recent album is more post-punk-sounding.
The Coffinshakers are a Swedish rockabilly band and they're all vampires, mwahaha.
Sigur Rós and múm for beautiful Icelandic ambient music.
Interpol, The Radio Dept, Editors and Mew are all alt rock bands I really like.
Alcest, Ved Buens Ende, Fleurety, Sólstafir for experimental metal.

Gosh, I enjoy posting in this thread.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Honoured Mook

Date:

Spiggy, you are the best kind of person. And no, I don't know of them all yet, though the ones you've listed that I do know suggest that I am very much going to like all the ones that I don't. Feel free to post more if you feel like it!

It's quite interesting to see how similar all of our musical tastes are/were (I don't know what it counts as when I used to like it a lot but haven't listened to them for ages/have forgotten about them *woop memory problems yey*). I've heard of/liked quite a few of the bands you guys have reccomended, but also there are quite a lot I don't think I've even heard of, which is great :D And I'm fairly sure I have some Infected Mushroom on my laptop already from my sister (or one of her friends? I don't know, it's form someone's ipod), though I haven't listened to any of it yet.. And having listened to that there youtube link, I have no idea why this is the case. Oh what a fool I am.

Seriously, thanks guys, I really appreciate this.

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Thursday 7th of March 2013 12:29:48 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

Feel free to add me on Facebook and Spotify if you'd like some other musical wanderings. I'm always thrilled when I someone does the 'listen with Chris' thing on a song I like.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Eisbaer wrote:

I'm sorry if there's already a thread like this, mods please shove them together if that's the case.

So basically, I've been stuck in a rather deep musical rut these past couple of years. I used to be very into music, and finding new music, but that pretty much dissappeared along with all my other interests when the depression came. So for the past two or so years I've mostly been listening to Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Calexico, occassionally Warren Zevon, and not a lot else. And as a result, I've mostly forgotten most of the great bands I used to like, and don't even know where to start rediscovering them again and where or how to begin discovering new music. Which makes me very sad. I've been through my last fm, and my computer, but there's so much on both, a lot of which I'm no longer interested in, that I don't really know where to start. So I was hoping that maybe some of you mooks may be able to help.

Basically, I'm looking for any musical suggestions that you like, or may think I might like, regardless of genres and the like. At the moment I'm very interested in getting back into folk music and the various related bands and sub-genres again (mainly because I'm listening to the Levellers right now, but also because I used to really like that kinda stuff. Especially the folk metally stuff, and the less folky but cabarety-Idon't know how to describey-stuff), though honestly I've always been an all musical genres type, and any new/unusual/just plain good suggestions of what to listen to/where to start would be greatly appreciated. I can list off a few of my favourite bands and the ones I've been listening to over the past few weeks if anyone wants, though I'm not entirely sure how useful that would be. THough I will say straight off thta Amanda Palmer and Emily Autumn both piss me off, and The World Inferno Friendship Society are pretty damned great. I dunno. Just any suggestions of music to listen to would be great. Fanks.

Ah same. I should pay attention to this thread too, can't even remember the last time I listened to music. /;

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

^Sucks doens't it :/

^^Hmm, I don't have facebook, though I was thinking about getting spotify anyway, so I may get back to you on that one..

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Reviving this thread as it seemed pointless to start a new one.

Recently I've been wanting to listen to a bit more jazz and swing music, but I've been struggling to find any really good artists. I'd prefer something a bit more modern (as in still quite active and current), but if there are any more old fashioned artists that you think I should give a chance then that's fine too. So any suggestions?

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Electro swing: Parov Stelar, Caravan Palace, Electronic Swing Orchestra
Jazz classics: Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, John Coltrane, Don Byas
Dark atmospheric jazz: Bohren & Der Club of Gore, Contemporary Noise Sextet, The Dale Cooper Quintet, Kammerflimmer Kollektief
Crazy experimental jazz: John Zorn, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Eivind Aarset, and some Miles Davis (check out Agharta), Nels Cline
Nice modern jazz: Wayne Shorter, EST (Esbjörn Svensson Trio), Jan Garbarek, Bugge Wesseltoft, Lee Morgan, Stacey Kent, Molly Johnson (ohmygodIloveher), Eldar Djangirov, The David Brubeck Quartet (okay, not so modern anymore...)

I LOVE JAZZ. YES.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Spiggy, you are utterly fantastic! I've had a quick listen to a few of them and it seems you have excellent taste, I'll probably spend the next few weeks going through them all properly. Thank you, you brilliant person.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm more into blues than jazz even if the line between these two music styles is very thin and quite blurry. Anyway, I have to say that Spiggy's suggestions are excellent, especially Caravan Palace, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis and Molly Johnson (who by the way is Canadian). :)

I would add Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Peggy Lee, Glenn Miller, Emily-Claire Barlow and Melody Gardot.

-- Edited by Wyno on Sunday 16th of March 2014 02:35:34 PM

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Inky if you're looking for something a bit more modern, try The Real Tuesday Weld particularly their albums The Last Werewolf and Moon Setting. :)

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You're all fantastic, I'll add those suggestions to the list and Wyno I forgot to mention, but blues suggestions are also very much welcome.

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

In that case, here are my blues suggestions:

In early country blues, the artists that cannot be ignored are in my opinion John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson and Brownie McGhee.

If you want some more modern blues, 1950 and after, I suggest Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King, and The Blues Brothers.

My absolute favorite style of blues music is Chicago Blues. You can't go wrong listening to Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Koko Taylor or Nick Moss. They are fantastic!

I also have to mention Colin James who does an interesting mix of blues, rock and neo-swing.

I don't really know where to put them since they did jazz, blues, folk, R&B and gospel but Nina Simone and Etta James are also fabulous.

Oh and in the jazz department I forgot to mention Oliver Jones and Hank Jones. You may also like Medeski Martin and Wook, a jazz-funk trio with an interesting, different approach.

Have fun! :)

Edited because I had new ideas to add.

-- Edited by Wyno on Sunday 16th of March 2014 06:32:07 PM

''Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.'' George Carlin

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us