Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Oil Cleansing Method

High Mookish Shaman

Date:
Oil Cleansing Method

Oil Cleansing Method

Has anyone tried it? I've decided I'm going to give it a go, just waiting for my castor oil to arrive. Anyone have any tips/ suggestions?

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have! I alternate between cleansing with whipped shea butter and olive oil, and sometimes I add a little salt to make a scrub before I steam it off. It's amazing, my skin has never been better, it makes you all glowy, and fades acne scars very quickly if you have any. Only thing I'd say is to moisturise afterwards (as oil dissolves oil, you can sometimes take off more oil than intended, so moisturise with a light moisturiser straight afterwards) and to be really religious with it- if you forget to cleanse for a few days then sometimes your skin can look more dull and sad looking than it did before you started.

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've not cleansed with oil but I used to work with tonnes of people who did - apparently the more solid-y/ thicker ones are better for cleansing because they're richer and so on. I've used almond oil and a really excellent mixed oil blend (can't remember what was in it though) for moisturising, and I was very happy with that...

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

My dad uses coconut oil, and has done for at least 10 years now. He loves it, but I've never discussed it in depth with him, so I don't know exactly how his skin reacted and so on.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Regular Crew

Date:

Absolutely love this method for cleansing, makes my skin so smooth and happy it's great for removing make-up too!

Never used castor oil though I usually just use grapeseed, almond, coconut etc. but all oils are good you just need to find out which ones suit your skin type.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ I didn't even think about skin type, I just bought some castor oil because most of the recipes seem to contain it.

Lots of positive words here... going to try it out tonight. (:

Tumblr

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I tried this once and had an absolutely horrible breakout of pimples afterwards. But I used baby oil, so that might have been the problem?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^^ Baby oil is made of mineral oil, which a lot of people are very sensitive to.

too stupid for the bar

and

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Piglet wrote:

Tried it last night and didn't notice a huge difference (but I'm not covered in pimples now which is what I was half-expecting, so that bodes well!), it's going to be a bloody lifesaver in winter though, when I still need to cleanse but it starts to dry my skin right up.

My skin doesn't look any different at all either. ); Pretty disappointed because of all the glowing reviews I've read of it. Might play around with the oils and see if that makes any difference.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Baby oil is craaaaaappp! Give it a try with something nicer! And Orange, you need to give it a little time I think, don't give up yet! :)

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've recently been using olive oil to cleanse my face and i've been getting on very well with it. I usually use ultrabland by lush to remove my make-up at night and then a normal cleanser in the morning. I just apply it with my fingers and then remove it with damp cotton wool. My skin has been a lot clearer and generally looks smoother. Also I get less dry patches of skin.

-- Edited by Florie on Saturday 2nd of February 2013 06:53:32 AM

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

I haven't specifically used oil cleansing, but I do use olive oil, or occasionally coconut oil, to remove my makeup, which is sort of a bit like cleansing, and my face seems pretty happy since I started doing that. I could see the difference pretty quickly, though it was more obvious after a few days.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I used olive oil for a bit, not sure if it made my skin any better but it was a LOT less irritating to my skin than shop bought cleansers. And very moisturising.. may try it again soon.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I use biotin oil, but this sounds a lot cheaper and I always have plenty of olive oil in the house...

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Ooh, this sounds worth a try, I love using oil as a night cream...

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I want to try it, but I've only just got my skin under control and I don't want to risk upsetting it again. :(

I do sometimes use oil as an eye make-up remover though, The mascara just slides off my eyelashes!

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I have a feeling that it would make my pores go mental, but everyone's skin and everyone's habits are different!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm going to try this tonight! I'm not even worried about pimples, I just hope my sensitive skin doesn't decide it's a good time for an allergic reaction. Wish me luck :P

Pony Frenzy

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Let us know how it goes! You can be our little mooky guinnea pig!!!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'd love to be a guinea pig! They're adorable and live a pretty snuggly life :P

I oiled my face last night using a mixture of olive and sunflower seed oil. My skin is nicely soft and moisturised but doesn't seem any cleaner or brighter than usual. I suppose that requires time. No redness or itching, though! 

Pony Frenzy

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Did you make sure to steam it off with a hot cloth? This is the step a lot of people forget, and then they complain about their skin breaking out or clogged pores.

too stupid for the bar

and

Regular Crew

Date:

OoOoOoh I like the idea of the steaming with hot towel makes it into more of a beauty treatment then a regular cleanse.

Trying this for sure.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Forgot about this, need to try it again and get into a routine with it! It takes such a long time though. D;

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I tried it once a couple of weeks ago, and my skin was literally glowing the next day! I haven't tried it since, though, because I accidentally left all the oils at my mother's house. :(

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've been trying this for just over a week, using olive oil every 3 or 4 days, and I can't say it's made any sort of massive difference. My skin does feel quite soft but I haven't really noticed any difference in appearence.

Though I decided that at the same time, I'd apply the oil to the bottom half of my hair, then wash it out after I was done with my face, and that's been wonderful, my hair feels much more soft and silky.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I've been doing this for ages without thinking. I use coconut oil, seeing as it gets used for everything in our house - cleansing, nappy rash, scalp treatments, cooking, coating wooden chopping boards...

-- Edited by Icks on Wednesday 20th of March 2013 09:13:37 PM

:)

Baby Mook

Date:

I was afraid my pores would look bad after oiling - I have combination skin - but they don't! My skin is perfectly clear, smooth and radiant. I use argan oil.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thread revival/Cautionary tale

Be careful with this, guys, I'm sure it works for some but it really, really wrecked my skin. I decided to try it a few months ago because cleansing with oil sounded like it could be insanely good for my dry, sensitive skin. It seemed to work at first, I cleansed religiously and made sure I steamed the oil off, moisturised, the whole shebang. After the first month or so, my skin went bonkers. I eventually went back to using nothing but Ultrabland and the acne situation got a little better but my skin still looked and felt horrible. I'd never had any problems with acne before.

I have just returned from two absolutely excruciating hours at a beauty salon. I look like my face exploded but my skin feels much better and the lovely lady at the salon said things should get back to normal now but that it was probably the oil cleansing method that clogged my pores.

My skin is very weird so this was probably a rather unusual reaction to the OCM but I just wanted to tell you that it can go horribly wrong.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^^ Oh no Bobbie, that's awful! What oil were you using? Glad your face is starting to feel better. x

too stupid for the bar

and

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I was using a blend of castor oil and olive oil. My skin needs to heal so I'm not allowed to wear foundation for three days now and I feel terribly self-conscious. I'm taking my blotchy pizza face out tonight anyway because I think it would be silly not to meet up with my lovely friends just because I look like I've been stung by a thousand vengeful bees. Could be interesting self-esteem exercise, actually.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us