Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Revision anger

Regular Crew

Date:
Revision anger

Right I did not attend one of my lectures a few weeks ago which was a class from Criminology (the study of crime and those who commit it). So I was writting notes from the powerpoiint as I have an exam next month. The lecture was on Feminist perspectives of crime. To start with though we haed to read some very um......un feminist views about criminology. Some of them directly angered me. Just could not believe how someones views could be so sexist.   Ill share one. According to an academic in the 1970's women could not make rational choices and were ruled by their own biology. :@ I guess one good thing about being angry with dead, sexist academics is I will definitely not forget their opinions........

Don't ever think your a failure. To one person you will always be perfect <3

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

It's quite awful. What's really awful is that stuff like that is just the top of the iceberg. When one start looking into sexist crap (directed at all genders by the way) it can sometimes be hard to keep the blood pressure down.

I don't recommend looking up what the old geeks had to say about women.

Or how lobotomy was perceived as particularly useful for housewives.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Regular Crew

Date:

I absolutely hate sexism. I have always been fairly lucky as I associate with both genders. Where I am biological male and have the odd masculine tendency, I think of myself much more as female. I associate much more clearly with this gender. Have strong feminine tendencies and are generally much more comfortable dressed as a girl. My point being, sexism aimed at any gender affects me and I hate it, it's always completely unfounded lies about the opposing gender.

And the one reason I was reading what old geeks had to sday is because I might have to know it for an exam. But I never knew the lobotomy thing. That sounds absolutely disgusting. Ugh

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Yes, I almost fell off my chair when reading that one.

And I'm sorry about my misspelling, I meant to write the old greeks. My bad. Of course the old geeks have to be read for exams, that's how I came across quite a lot of the sexist crap that makes my blood boil.

What really eats me about sexism is how dreadfully unscientific it is to divide people into two large chunks and generalize what differences one might find between those two groups and blowing them up. Totally disregarding that every time you group your test subjects into men and women you'll actually find that the differences within each group is bigger than the differences between the groups.

I think that we can never get rid of sexism as long as our culture maintains binary gender roles. It is such a gross oversimplification of how things work that it in many contexts simply becomes a falsehood. People are a lot more diverse than that!

I've often wondered about how some people seem so comfortable with their gender, personally I don't feel I fit in neither a female nor a male role really. My body is female, and that has it's perks and drawbacks but so would a male body have. I kinda still miss my pre-pubescent body sometimes and wish that my body was atleast less feminine (I'd happily trade big tits and wide hips for a more tubular shape), but at the end of the day my body isn't ME it's just one of my tools to interact with the physical world.
My brain is, according to every silly test I've taken, more male than female but I don't think of myself as a male. I simply don't want to be stuffed into either gender role. I'm first and foremost and human being, after that class background and a very local cultural heritage is what's important for my identity. Gender is so far down on my list that it's almost not there. What little there is is there because my surroundings have forced me to react to it. I don't really want to associate with any gender, I want to pick and choose what traits suits me.

But here I'm rambling on about myself. I love how you said that you are lucky to associate with both genders! I have a not-so-very-secret goal of destroying the gender divide and replacing it with more diverse roles that also are more fluid, so I'm always happy to meet someone who don't meekly stay within the box.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Regular Crew

Date:

I get what you mean and never apologise for talking loads. I always lovbe to hear other peoples opinions and your viewpoints here are extremely interesting. I like how you do not see gender as important. I feel the same way with sexuality. I like to think im pansexual. So attracted to personality not just simply a persons bodily appearance. A lot of people find this hard to understand. as I imagine they do about your point about gender. But its interesting. I find your view point interesting.

You are right. we are all individuals. You get a group of five girls. They will be different to each other. You get a group of five boys. They will be different to each other. I am like no other guy you will meet and also like no other girl you will meet. we are all different. We were all born with free will and we use this free will to express ourselves in different ways. But yes gender roles are definitely oversimplified.

But thankyou. I do not like being put in a gender box and am happy with how i express myself....mostly....one day i will have the courage to be myself more but yeah.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us