Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Will she ever shut up about her university woes?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Will she ever shut up about her university woes?

I clearly won't.

So, now I know that I can afford to stay in Sweden and finish my degree here. But I'm wondering whether this is a good idea.

Staying here: I get a BA in English Lang & Lit and I also have to pick a minor, which could well be two semesters of Archaeology or Swedish

Pros:

• The quality of teaching at this university is amazing
  • I'd become fluent in Swedish
  • I love it here
  • the Archaeology course is focused on the archaeology of the viking period, which is exactly what I'm interested in
  • I like my life here and I like my Swedish friends
  • Living abroad and being independent makes me feel good about myself
  • Studying here would enable me to graduate in two years' time - I wouldn't have to go back to year one

Cons:

• I'd have to stay here for two years, living costs are ridiculously high, which means I'd probably spend all the money saved up for my education
  • I'd have to be extremely careful with money
  • I'd probably have to work, which could affect my academic performance
  • I don't want to study English
  • What I'm aiming for is an MA in Archaeology and if I can't afford postgrad studies, I might have to get a job in a field I'm not interested in 
  • I'm really scared my grandmother will die when I'm away and then I'll feel bad about not having spent more time with her

Going back home: I apply to do a BA in Archaeology 

Pros:

• spending three years studying at home would leave my "education fund" untouched - I could definitely do my MA (and possibly go for a PhD as well) abroad 
  • I could spend the money I get from my father and my excellence grant on travelling and going to gigs and festivals while also putting some aside
  • I've had bad experience with my university but my aunt (who's an archaeologist) says that the Department of Archaeology is good and all Archaeology students I've met so far are happy with the course
  • I really want to study Archaeology as soon as possible
  • as silly as it sounds, I want to spend some time with my friends before we're all scattered across Europe for postgrad studies

Cons:

• I'll be 23 by the time I graduate and I worry that I'll be too old to start a career in academia
  • Staying at home will probably feel like I've failed
  • I've spent so much time researching my options and trying to figure out how to finish my degree here that I'll feel like a complete idiot if I don't go through with this
  • I hate my country
  • I'll miss my Swedish friends
  • I'll never be really good at Swedish

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

1. You are NEVER too old to start a career in academia (unless you're 93, then it's probably a bit late). My totally bitchin' Victorian Lit lecturer didn't start her BA until she was 30, and she got her PhD from a Russell Group uni and is now doing a great job at teaching and getting lots of things published.

2. Excellent students get funding from research bodies to do post-grad things. I don't imagine you would get anything less than a 2:1. Talk to your lecturers/personal tutor, it's what they are there for.

3. Living independently is an option in either Sweden or Slovenia, it's worth seeing if you can move in with a friend (it is so much fun living with friends) if you chose to move back home and feel like living with your Mummio is a step backwards.

4. Working while you study can be difficult, but temp jobs are -depending on the agency- reasonably paid and you don't have set hours, so you only work shifts you know you can do.

I hope this helps reassure you of some things, lovely.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Darling, I'll come back with more when I can think more clearly, because honestly this is a tough one and I'm trying, and failing, to imagine what I'd do if I had your options. But let me just say: If 23 is too old to start a career in academia, I can safely leave uni and go get a job at a cash desk. Petal, I'll be nearing 24 when I get a Bc., and I'm of the belief that in the field I'm aiming for, you're nothing until you have at leat a PhD. So yeah, hope you come see me in my local Tesco when you're next in Prague. 

Pony Frenzy

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Bit tired, but honey I was so very tempted to go and erase that age related post....

Secondly, If you aim to get work in Scandinavia after you graduate you really ought to get a job regardless of you need it or not. Because if you haven't worked alongside your studies employers might wonder if there is something wrong with you. At least many would in Norway and Finland. If you can't/don't want to work, you really ought to get yourself some responsibility in some volunteer organization so you have something to put on your CV.

And if you aim to be an archaeologist here up north, your first priority this summer should be to get some fieldwork. I can't stress enough how paramount that is.

By the way, why can't you start a BA in archaeology in Sweden next year?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Irilar, I actually do some translating work but it's tiring and not well-paid so I'd have to do something else if I really needed money. I'm not aiming for a job in Scandinavia but I guess it would be nice to have the option anyway.

I can't start a BA in Archaeology next year because I can't afford to stay in Sweden for three years and I can't afford to pay for the Swedish proficiency exam. Studying English would enable me to transfer my credits from the course I'm doing back at home so that I'd only have two more years of undergrad studies ahead. I wish I was eligible for a student loan but I'm not. I get an excellence grant that's considered decent by Slovenian standards but in Sweden it's worth practically nothing (well, it's more or less småpengar).

Thing is, if I study back at home, I'll be able to travel, buy lots of books, do fieldwork and put some money aside. If I stay in Sweden, practically all my money will go on rent and food. It could certainly be done because I'm very good at budgeting and I'm sure I could get used to having to watch every penny but I'm wondering if it's sensible to spend all the money that was intended for my postgrad studies just because I'd like to stay in one of the most expensive European countries. I really want to stay here but after a few days of excitement, my brain started working again and it's telling me I'm being ridiculous.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

That sounds like your options are to get a better paid job in Sweden and work more so that you are able to leave your savings untouched until your MA studies, or go back to Slovenia and do a BA there.

Personally I'd base my choice on which archaeology are best and most interesting -the ones in Slovenia or the ones in Sweden. If the ones in Sweden are the best ones I'd have gone for that -even if I had to go down to part time studies in order to work more.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Well surely you always knew you had the option to go back home and do archaeology and that there would be cons to staying in Sweden. Maybe I'm wrong but it sounds as if now you know it could all work out in Sweden you're sort of recoiling from the decision a little bit and doubting it. If you're happy in Sweden and you wanted to stay there so badly before, there must have been a reason why you were so set on it. Maybe going back home would be the better option, I don't know, but I try not to rush into anything if you can.

Tumblr

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us