Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Hoarding Books

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Hoarding Books

I was watching the show Hoarders last night with my family. One of the hoarders was an artist, a painter in particular, who hoarded his paintings, books, and other beautiful objects. He had the most books I've ever seen that took over his home and art studio. Basically a bookworm's paradise.  Well eventually they had to get rid of the junk which is the whole point of the show so the man can bond with his family. I didn't have a problem until they threw away the books. I'm sure they could've placed them at a Thrift Store or Salvation Army. My Library near my house takes used books. I just think it was a waste of good books but back to matter of this post.

It had me thinking of myself. How do you know you're starting to hoard books? I have books filled on my bookshelf to the brink. I have books on my upper closet shelf where I can't fit anymore. I have books in my cabinet in my room underneath the my vanity mirror. As of recently I have books in my clothing dresser and on my stationary bike seat. I'm trying not to buy anymore books until I can find a proper space for the ones I've already have. For right now I'm sticking to library books.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

That is shocking! I do hate when these programmes don't donate to charity or libraries or homes or anything. Yes, a lot of the stuff will be mouldy or unusable but at least take it away and go through it elsewhere away from the hoarder.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

That's awful! There are always places to put unwanted books, second-hand book shops being just the most obvious one!

To your question, I am not a hoarder and I have LOTS of books in my room I haven't even read and don't feel emotionally bonded with, so I'm really excited to leave them here when I move out (they belong to my mother but she put them in my room when I was little because they're mostly kids' books) or donate the really unwanted ones to thrift shops and start hoarding books that I actually want :) 

Pony Frenzy

Mookface (mod)

Date:

Having a house full of books isn't hoarding, it's just good sense.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My belief is that you can never have enough books. I frequently buy books because they're cheap or on offer with absolutely no intention of reading them any time soon. That way, however, you will always have a new book when you really need it. There is something wonderful about knowing there's something unread and tantilising waiting for you.

Also, my grandparents have an actual library [think Beauty and the Beast on a single-storey scale], so I was never brought up with the notion that this was anything other than normal or desirable.

Mookface (mod)

Date:

^ Incredibly jealous! I want a library... But yes, I do the same- I have piles of books as yet unread, bought because I know I'll have the time/inclination/a reason to read them one day. For example, the other day I bought a book of all the Father Ted scripts - I don't particularly want to read them now, but one day my internet might be down when I fancy some priest-y joy, or I might want to instigate an impromptu performance of an episode at a party! I'm convinced that there will be a pertinent time in one's life for every book.

-- Edited by Antonym on Tuesday 16th of October 2012 05:39:54 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ I'm also envious of your Grandparents Claire. It has always been my dream to own a miniature version of the Beauty and the Beast library. If you thought I was a loner before than I would take that up to a notch 20 on a scale from 1 to 10.

I'm relived I'm not showing early signs of hoarding books.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Unless someone's hoard is putting them in actual danger, I don't see any problem with keeping/collecting/hoarding things... But maybe that's because I am a hoarder.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Okay the rule is as long as I can move around freely then it isn't hoarding.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I used to be quite a hoarder but now I'm in my own flat with limited storage space (no loft essentially) I'm a lot better. I've started working my way through all the books on my shelves that I've had for ages and not read so I can pass them on to someone else. I do own some books that I won't ever pass on though.

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My parents and I disagree about what counts as 'dangerous' or 'impractical'. Basically every year since being about 16, I've needed another bookcase or bookshelf. Apparently our last round of builders were worried about the structural issue! I didn't think I was that bad...

Regular Crew

Date:

You can never have too many books. You can only have an overly small house.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Travelling is a great way to realise you have a load of stuff you don't need. When I got back to the UK after eight months away I gave away almost all of my books... friends have told me they've done the same. Nowadays I tend to donate books to the charity shop almost as soon as I've read them, unless it's non fiction, or a fiction book there's a chance I'll read again.

-- Edited by orangensaft on Wednesday 17th of October 2012 10:59:14 PM

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I cull books I know I'll never read again. Luckily I'm quite a picky reader so every time I do a clear out I make plenty of room!

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The books probably were damaged in some way like significant water damage or mold or just beyond repair?

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

Aenigma wrote:

My parents and I disagree about what counts as 'dangerous' or 'impractical'. Basically every year since being about 16, I've needed another bookcase or bookshelf. Apparently our last round of builders were worried about the structural issue! I didn't think I was that bad...

I think you need to buy yourself a house to use as a library. Seriously, Clurr.

Erm, I didn't really realise how many books I owned until I moved into my current flat and had to carry each box of books down a flight of stairs and then up another two flights. About half of them I haven't even had the chance to read yet, but I love them all and I KNOW that I will read them all at some point. And since we keep my books in the living room now, my flatmates are using it as the library and it's lovely to share books.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I used to have hundreds and hundreds of books but almost all of them were destroyed in two floods. I don't think I'll ever get over that.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

There's no such thing as too many books!

I don't hold onto books I've read that I probably won't read again though, I use Bookmooch and ReadItSwapIt to pass them on to people who want them and to get books I haven't read!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

ladyjulianne wrote:

There's no such thing as too many books!

I don't hold onto books I've read that I probably won't read again though, I use Bookmooch and ReadItSwapIt to pass them on to people who want them and to get books I haven't read!

Ooh, thanks for the websites! I've been looking for something like that!

Tumblr

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

If my family couldn't bond with me over my/our books they wouldn't be my family -they'd be vile aliens who I'd have to take great pains to avoid. Seriously. I think the guy in the show should have gotten rid of his idiotic family rather than his books. I mean, haven't the stupid yahoos heard about Bordieu and the importance of cultural capital?

Personally, I've given up the notion of having my own library in our house. Mainly because I realized that it would be impractical to store the books in only one room. So instead, we're going to sort the books according to where they are used and have bookshelves in every room:

Cookbooks in the kitchen
Books about art and crafts in the sewing/craft room
Books related to academic subjects near the writing desk corner
Sci-Fi, Fantasy and comics in my bedroom.
Fiction and general oddities in the livingroom (the tv will be moved to a separate little nook up in the loft. Right now the livingroom it's in have turned into a storage room since it is so rarely used)
Books I don't care so much about/have cheap binding falling to pieces/have two copies will get a bookshelf in the bathroom.

Books about forestry, farming, gardening, motors, carpentry and various other outdoors work I'm not sure about yet. Perhaps the hallway?

And then I need a month or two off work to sort and mark them all according to the Dewey system.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Should Tudor and I stick together, there's going to be enough for a library in our house (although I'm liking Iriliar's idea, makes more sense and means there's always something on hand when you're too lazy to hunt...). We've already joked that he's got so many books that he might as well turn his room into a library and just move in with me in mine. I think he's physically incapable of passing a bookshop and leaving empty handed. And he doesn't even buy ONE book. He spend nearly seventy quid when I went into Waterstones with him, and over ninety the other day. I'm similar... but I buy most of my books from charity shops and rarely leave one without a new book. I got that from my mother I think, who always made sure there were new books to read in the house.

Today should be fun. Tudor and I are going back home, and we're both bringing more books from our parents houses. I'm guessing we're going to be spending a while trying to find places to put them...

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've started to accumulate a new pile of books to be gotten rid of. I feel like I'm getting pickier and pickier, but I suppose that's a good thing as I've literally had to lie books down horizontally on the sticky-out bit on my shelves to have somewhere to put them! I'm also fairly sure there are around five milling around under my bed...

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I rarely even let people borrow my books, never mind throwing them away! I've got one huge overflowing bookshelf, a few boxes in the spare room and several hidden gems in my mother's house... And Skittles' grandmother has recently put aside an entire set of medical encyclopedias for me - we're talking like, twenty of them. I've no idea where they're going to go but I DO NOT CARE :D

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Wow, I totally don't get what it is about books at all. If you're not going to read them again why not share them around? I joined one of the websites that ladyjulianne posted and realised I only have four books in my possession which I've already read, lol.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I get very attached to the ones I enjoyed, even if I know I won't read it for a very long time. Particularly if it's part of a series, or has a beautiful cover. For example, I own the Inkheart trilogy and don't like the third one, but I love the first two so I'd hate to separate them!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

R and I have made it our ambition in life to own a very large collection of books, so when we're going travelling, we're temporarily storing our books in his sister's house. I like owning books, because I like to be able to see and feel books I have read, and books I haven't yet read. I rarely read a book more than once, but I like having it there anyway in case I decide to.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^^ I re-read everything, even if it's years apart. I can't sleep without having a little read first so I need a constant flow of books, it keeps me sane. If I'm really honest, I actually get a little nervous sometimes opening books I've not read before! There is something incredibly lovely and comforting about reading a good book you've not opened in a couple of years.

I have the Twilight series, and while I don't really intend to read them again any time soon (aside from maybe flicking through), I like them because they're in immaculate condition and they smell nice! I might get rid of them though, they're taking up a lot of space that I need...

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

For me, books are not only something I'm addicted to (Like MissChris I need one to be able to sleep), it also is something holy. Books still are the most amazing tool we human beings have for communicating with each other across space and time. I can share mindworlds with other human beings that died centuries before I was born! If that isn't amazing, I don't know what is. Sure, my life doesn't get particularly enriched by sharing the mindworld of Ms. Meyer, but reading the thoughts of Carl G. Jung or some medieval poet sure does the trick.

I have lived several lifetimes in odd worlds beyond my imagination. People who doesn't read books only get to live their own life in this one.

Our very civilization is based on books and the written word within them. The surest way to spot tyrannical and evil movements and governments is to take heed when they start burning books.

And for people from working classes, the way forward to a better life for yourself and your family is by reading books.

Books epitomizes almost everything that is great about our species. What is it not to worship?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I will never throw a book away unless it is unreadable, but I will give books I definitely won't read again to charity. I have a copy of Mrs Frisby and the rats of NIMH that is falling apart in a big way, but I can still read it so it's staying. I too have far more books than space to put them, unfortunately I only realised this when swapping bedrooms with my brother before I came to uni. God knows where all of those books are going in that tiny room.

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I do the same thing, books that I don't read again I just give them to the nearest library. I also have a problem with letting people borrow my books b/c I've had problems in the past with people refusing to return them back to me. I love books so much that I have a ritual of making myself a hot drink and finding a quiet comfy place to sit in my house when I read. Sometimes I play music as long as it isn't too loud.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us