Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Naturally Curly Hair

Regular Crew

Date:
Naturally Curly Hair

So I have naturally curly, very thick hair. Its not as curly as it is unruly and difficult. I've noticed that there aren't a lot of people into the alternative lookwho talk about having naturally curly hair and I was wondering about it. Like many people i've always wanted to be able to straighten and color it funky colors, however my hair gets damaged rather easily. I was wondering If anyone else here has curly hair and could give me some tips about straightening it easier and coloring it (like manic panic colors) I'd really apreciate some tips.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Straightening damages it... Don't brush it in the shower. Don't rip at it with a brush. I personally started using Devacurl products and love it.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Lots of conditioner. Like all the conditioner.

a troubled cure for a troubled mind...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

tis true about the conditioner, i have seriously curly hair an i straighten it an colour it all the time.

i use leave in conditioners alot (usualy aussie leave in conditioner) i also use a heat protection spray an shampoo specificaly for coloured an curly hair

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I gave up straightening my hair in March and also decided to cut out sulphates and silicones from my hair routine, since I did this my hair has gone from being all fizzy and big after being blow-dried (which I also no longer do) to forming lovely waves/curls.
I also don't use shampoo anymore and I conditioner wash my hair which provides gentle cleansing with lots of moisture and after washing I 'plop' my hair in a t-shirt as towel drying makes my hair frizzy and damages it.
My hair has been bleached several times but following this routine my hair is now in the best condition it's ever been.
If you google conditioner only washing or the curly girl method you'll get loads of information on cutting out silicones and sulphates :)

Forget the horror here.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

If you need to brush in the shower, use conditioner to help get the brush through it, then wash out the conditioner and condition again...it makes my hair SO soft, but yeah, i have to buy more conditioner every week.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

PandaPop wrote:

Lots of conditioner. Like all the conditioner.

Oh man! When I used to have my curly hair conditioner helped me out a lot. The tips of my dreads show my kinky curly hair b/c I couldn't stand to get rid of it entirely. I also used natural oils such as olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, etc. to make it stronger and to keep it from getting dry as I have dry hair. Lastly I didn't shampoo as much.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Regular Crew

Date:

Thanks guys, I'm wondering about dying it. My hair is currently died a dark, purplish red, and dying my hair has actually made it a bit shinier. What about if I wanted some streaks of manic panic dye in my hair (I would have to bleach it).
I really appreciate the tips.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I heart argan oil too. Not like the products with it in it, but the straight up stuff. Makes the hair so smooth and nice...

Also Martha: I'm on the curly girl right now. Like apparently Devagirl endorses it or something along those lines. either way, it works! The hair gets a bit greasier faster the first week or two, but after that it starts working itself out.

-- Edited by ChynaRoze on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 12:39:39 AM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

ChynaRoze wrote:

Also Martha: I'm on the curly girl right now. Like apparently Devagirl endorses it or something along those lines. either way, it works! The hair gets a bit greasier faster the first week or two, but after that it starts working itself out.

-- Edited by ChynaRoze on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 12:39:39 AM

Curly girl is fab! I'm using shampoo again at the moment to try and fade my hair colour so I dye it brighter and my hair's going horrible, can't wait to go back to CG :( 

Forget the horror here.

Regular Crew

Date:

My hair journey is so full of adventures and less fortunate events that I can pretty much talk about everything xD

As you can see in my avatar, my hair is really curly and with a lot of volume, but I haven't been wearing it this way, all natural for a long time.

Until I was aprox 16 my hair was a hot mess, I hated the curls, didn't know how to take care of them or style or anything, so it was really really hard for me to accept my hair, so everytime I could get it straight, I would.

At the age of 17 I relaxed it. It was super straight for 6 months and then it started to wave a little bit at the ends, which gave a nice look to it, but the roots were growing and it looked kinda funny.

Then I learnt how to blow dry and straighten my hair by myself...and the experiment era began!
Now that I was used to get my air straight all the time, I decided to cut it and color it.

I started by bleaching the front part of my head, then cut it on layers (Japanese inspired), then I dyed it neon green, went to pitch black, then BLEACHED MY WHOLE HEAD, then added some pink highlights, then went to Cruella style, then went to pitch black again and finally I became a redhead - almost 3 years ago.

All these adventures REALLY damaged my hair, because on top of the dying and bleaching I was blow drying and flat ironing it ALL THE TIME.

I never went through the big chop to get rid of the heat and dye damaged hair, but I used to trim it very often.

Now that I decided to take good care of my hair I am keeping it with its natural curls, I straighten it sometimes and when I do I use heat protectant and deep condition it.

A good method to keep a healthy curly head is co-washing, specially if your hair is dry, like mine.
I started co-washing my hair recently and it really makes a difference. I also deep condition it whenever I dye it, which is every 6/8 weeks and sometimes I apply warm olive oil as a conditioner.

Right now my hair is not as healthy as it should be, but this is a long process, just be patient and love your curls!

Just to finish: I never accepted my curls 100% because I always thought it had nothing to do with my personal style, and I have never seen many alternative girls wearing big curly hair, and that is the reason why I always avoided to wear my natural hair. But really, you are the one who makes your own style, don't let other stereotypes dictate what you wear or don't wear, embrace yourself and make it your own, personal style. Be Unique.

-- Edited by Ella Sade on Wednesday 28th of August 2013 05:16:40 PM

-- Edited by Ella Sade on Wednesday 28th of August 2013 05:18:56 PM

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us