Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What should I Email my MP about?

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:
What should I Email my MP about?

As part fo my Constitutional Law coursework, i have to E-ail my local MP about an issue in the national press at the moment. Only trouble is, I've no idea what to write to him about?

So, what's going off that needs to be addressed?

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Lush Guru

Date:

Badger cull? Carrier bag charge? Government cuts? The fact that The Thick of It is the best thing ever? His or her opinion on web-based message boards?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Three things off the top of my head:

The last goobment were planning to introduce a law requiring details of everyone's emails/phone calls etc to be kept for [I think] 2 years. The Tories in opposition were against it,but now they're in power,they're proposing to bring in something similar. Ask him how the goobment can justify such an about-turn and isn't it far too draconian,(even under the excuse/usual scare tactic to introduce some big brotherism),of "prevention of terrorism"?

Does the goobment think that the move towards an internet-preferred society for a large proportion of things is a good thing,or exclusionary towards the poorer and older members of society? [by which I mean things like online-only job applications,or surcharges to have paper copies of things. Anyone who's just applied to Uni-do you still have the option of paper UCAS forms to return by post?]

And one to make him squirm-Europe! lol.

With the financial crisis in Europe still roiling on and Greece looking likely to need more assistance,isn't it about time we had a referendum on membership of the EC again?

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

I'm researching him now:

Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
Voted against raising Englands undergraduate tuition fee cap to 9,000 per year. votes
Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions.

I like this man.

(Edited because I typed 'I'm research him now', excellent English skills.)

-- Edited by lollyPOP on Saturday 29th of September 2012 10:17:28 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Slight hijacking - why is automatic enrolment in occupational pensions a bad thing? Asides from the fact it will only apply to those aged 22 and over, surely having a pension scheme is always a good plan. I know I wish I had started one way back when all I had to worry about was whether or not I had enough money left to buy a pint after work.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

Well, I think the manadtory-ness of it is a bit silly, as recent research shows that most graduates of this year will have careers that mean that they will change jobs on average of every 3 years, so between the ages of 22 and 75+, we could have 19 different pention accounts, unless it rolls over. I've not had too much info on it.

i was mainly focussing on the student-y bits when I copied that though.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

i would always say the rise of unemployment an the governments tendency to look at all unemployed people as scroungers who dont want to work an need to be forced off benefits, not that im biased or anything *shifty eyes*

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us