Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Alka Answers Your Questions About Lush (and other stuff, if you like).

Lush Guru

Date:
RE: Alka Answers Your Questions About Lush (and other stuff, if you like).

I found it needs more lathering up in your hands first. Nice and bubbly then pop that on yer bonce.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Ooh! I finally have a question!

I'm looking for a solid soap to wash with in the shower (trying to save money and the planet!) that doesn't dry out the skin but not Porridge because the oats in it hurt my skin :(

Thankyou! :)

-- Edited by marthamagic on Sunday 7th of October 2012 09:13:34 PM

Forget the horror here.

Lush Guru

Date:

Sultana of Soap is creamy and delicious, I find Miranda quite nice but I don't have terribly dry skin anyway. At the moment though, your best bet is Snowcake. Delicious, delicious Snowcake.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This might seem like a really odd question, but what is the process for buying things in Lush? Like, do you just pick things up and take them to the counter, or do you have to talk to an assistant?
I think this is one of the main reasons I've never bought anything from Lush, I go in on occassion but can never figure out how you actually buy things.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Lush Guru

Date:

Yeah, I've never really understood why people don't understand it though. Maybe you can explain? It's a shop! If you need a basket grab one, pop the stuff you want in there and take it all to the till. You can put the naked products in little bags if you want to, but most stores have some by the till if you haven't. They should ask you if you want labels on your little bags, and you can of course say yes or no to that depending on what you want.

I would say that everyone should talk to an assistant at least once though, we actually are really flipping good at our jobs!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Alka wrote:

Sultana of Soap is creamy and delicious, I find Miranda quite nice but I don't have terribly dry skin anyway. At the moment though, your best bet is Snowcake. Delicious, delicious Snowcake.

Miranda makes my skin feel all weird, not dry, but weird aha.
And I was going to buy some Snowcake anyway because it smells like marzipan and Bruce loves marzipan! I might pick up some Rock Star too because it's too nice! 

Forget the horror here.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think it's confusing because there are so many assistants, (whereas most shops leave you to just get on with it), so most customers seem to be talking to someone, which makes people (or at least me) unsure of whether that's a necessity. Also everything's laid out so nicely, so I never know whether you're allowed to disturb it, or if you're just meant let assistants do it.

All the staff do always seem to be really friendly though, and as you've demonstrated everyone clearly knows their stuff. I'm just not great with people though, so it can be a bit overwhelming.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I can see why sometimes it might be overwhelming if you have social anxiety or are not in the mood to talk to people, but (this goes in all shops by the way) if you smile and say "I'm alright thanks" or "Oh, I'm just browsing thankyou!" or something like that, nobody will be offended. Because I go into Lush a lot, I don't usually need to have many products demonstrated to me because I know how they work, so I go, "Oh I'm just here for my usual!" and wave my block of henna or bubble bar with a sheepish grin. More often than not, I get a "Oh that one's great isn't it!? Have a nice day!" and then I get on with it.

I've heard that in Japan and Korea, the sales assistants in shops often stand really close to you and follow you around the shop, which I reckon I'd find intimidating, but in the UK, people are usually happy to let you browse if you tell them that's what you're up to.

For the record, I used to be REALLY NERVOUS of going into shops if I thought the staff would talk to me or try to guilt trip me into buying stuff, but I've found coping mechanisms and now I don't find it stressful at all.

Oh and in Lush, regarding touching things, most of the time you can touch everything, and they often have a tray of specific ones for touching (like with the massage bars and stuff like that) or a bottle of each shampoo specifically to pick up and sniff. That said, once I got it wrong and opened a tub of hair goo, but the shop assistant was really kind and just went, "Whoops, not that one" and put the tester in my hand instead as though it happened all the time, so I didn't feel as embarrassed as I would have done in another shop, where people can get really cross. (Example: Topshop - once I put a skirt back in the wrong place and I got a tut, a sigh and a roll of the eyes from the shop assistant... ugh).

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Lush Guru

Date:

Re: opening/touching stuff that's not the tester. It happens ALL THE TIME. As long as it's not physically been touched (like if you'd stuck your hand in the hair goo) then it's all gravy.

One of the reasons Lush is so brilliant is because there is ALWAYS a tester of EVERYTHING. Open pots! Put your face in there if you want!

I do think good sales assistants (including in Lush) should accept when you've said you're just looking/just looking for a specific thing. Having said that, in any shops you'll always get pushy ones. I think the actual trick is that if you are just looking, be polite about it. It is my job to approach you, it is not your job to tell me to fuck off, ignore me, shout in my face that you are "JUST LOOKING ACTUALLY". Be nice to people.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My lovely Alka, I have skincare questions. I recently bought BB Seaweed for my face, and I adore it: it's very gentle, but it leaves my skin really soft and clean. I'm now in the market for a cleanser, and since AOBS left my skin a bit raw, I was tempted by Aqua Marina to continue the seaweedy goodness. However, I've been into my local Lush a few times, and they all seem to be really surprised that I'm not a gigantic fan of AOBS, and I've been told I should just use that but mix it with more water. Should I give AOBS another go, or try Aqua Marina?

Lush Guru

Date:

I would go for Aqua Marina. While it is less common for people not to like AOBS, it does happen and they should treat your feelings with validity. If it comes up again, ask for a sample of it to try again and add a bit more water to it. I think you'll get on better with Aqua Marina though, especially if you like BB Seaweed, similar ingredients of love.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Awesome, thank you! I shall end up so smothered in seaweed I might as well be sushi, and I will enjoy it :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Dearest Alka:

I'm allergic to coconut, jasmine and jojoba. Can I use any of the solid shampoos? They look so tempting, and my hair is a bit prone to dropping out from side effects -- d'you reckon a light shampoo lather would be more or less harsh than a liquid shampoo?

Or could you recommend something that is as fun and indulgent as a bath bomb for those of us without baths, forced into a shower cubicle?

Not specific, just curious: do other branches of Lush do Henna for a Tenner -- you know, where you pay ten pounds for the henna block, and they put a little table up on the shopfloor and Henna your hair in store? Or is it just my local borderline-mental one?

-- Edited by AirportMonkey on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 08:09:54 PM

A tumblr...

Resident Lord of the Cranberries

Lush Guru

Date:

All shops do Henna for a Tenner. We're a bit too busy to do it there and then though, and it needs to be booked in.

FUN is nice in the shower, or you could use one of the flat-backed ballistics in the shower. I would suggest snapping them in two though, otherwise it'd an expensive hobby.

Your hair dilemma depends on what your hair/scalp is like at the moment, and what you want it to be like in the future. My instinct is to try Blousey, as it's super gentle (and has none of the ingredients you're allergic to). But tell me more; what does your hair feel and look like at the moment? How is your scalp? What do you mean your hair drops out? A lot or do you think it's a normal amount? Bald spots?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Alka, do you remember that lovely orange solid hand bar thing? It smelled of vanilla and cloves and was amazing for strengthening the nails. Have the ever whipped that up on Retro? (Yes I am unfortunately obsessed with a lot of dead products, wahhh!)

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Dear Lush Guru,

Most of my hair is virgin now, and don't really need any balsam (I just give it the occasional hair mask), balsam just steals time in the shower and weighs it down, but I have a big fat stripe of bleached white that is super dry and sorely need regular extra moisture.

So I have two questions:

Should I buy a bar of "jungle" to use on my badger stripe?

What mask would you recommend for my fine nordic hair which is generally in good shape without any effort on my part, but that I want to keep as healthy as possible since I'm saving it long? I don't use heat on it nor styling products, but I probably wash it too often.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Lush Guru

Date:

Yes to Jungle, that stuff is bloody amazing. I think Roots hair treatment, it gives it a bit of a nice lift, but also lovely and moisturising.

As for the solid hand thang, I'm afraid I only know of Tiny Hands, which is very much not clove-y. Hmm. I'll have a ponder.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I would highly recommend Jungle. I bought a bar of it in January and had it until July and I would have used it every second or third day. I think it has a lovely, unusual smell. And it does the trick for dry hair. My hair had been bleached twice, so it was in absolute bits. But whenever I used Jungle I could just let my hair dry naturally and it would be quite sleek and easy to manage- without Jungle, it really was like a... Jungle. :)

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

This is a fairly old product, I got one when it first came out around 6 or 7 years ago, and I didn't notice it disappear... Can't even remember the name! Tiny hands might be a good replacement fr me though, never bothered with it before, might try it, thanks!

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

got my lush order today! an its all as awesome as i remember an dosnt remind me of the evil ex at all :)

i shall order more as it gets closer to xmas, im after

shimmy shimmy massage bar
cupcake face mask
twilight shower gel

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Lush Guru

Date:

Oh! Is it The Soft Touch?! That wasn't cloves, but it was vanilla and it was great for strengthening nails.

Tiny Hands is a lovely one, especially if your hands are prone to cracking (healing marigold).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'd just like to say that the combination of Ultrabland and Celestial seems to have done WONDERS for my face. My annoying, fussy, sensitive skin doesn't flake anymore, my eyes aren't swollen in the morning and I hardly have any spots anymore. I'm so fucking happy.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^^ YES!! It was beautiful! I thought it had cloves? Oh I dunno, it was ages ago, but there wa definitely something for strengthening the nails in there becase that's why I bought it... Bloody hell, was it horsetail? I'm an idiot!

Anyway, yes, I'd love some on Retro if it ever crops up bt I might give Tiny Hads a go, I like solid things and my hands do get terrible, terrble abuse at this time of year, poor mites.

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I have a question!

I'm looking for a moisturiser, I have dry skin in patches (usually cheeks and eyes) and sensitive eyes, oily chin and forehead and am prone to breakouts which one do I buy?!

And perhaps some cleanser advice please :)

-- Edited by marthamagic on Thursday 11th of October 2012 12:38:10 AM

Forget the horror here.

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Do any of the lush moisturisers contain SPF?

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Lush Guru

Date:

Yes, British Nanny is spf 30.

Imperialis is the best for combination skin, but you might also want to try Vanishing Cream if you're very prone to break outs.

You also might want to try Angels on Bare Skin. Again, lots of lavender which is great for balancing the skin and once you've balanced the oil production the breakouts should sort themselves out.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Not exactly a Lush question, but I've been using pure shea butter as a cleanser/moisturiser- is this at all bad for my skin?

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Lush Guru

Date:

Not necessarily bad for your skin, but it's pretty heavy and I think I'd go for stuff (especially cleansers) that are lighter/ingredients more for cleansing.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I was just thinking about how awesome it would be if there was an earthquake knocking down all the shelves and then a flood in a lush store...

ALL THE BUBBLES. :D :D :D :D

Lush Guru

Date:

Haha I sometimes get anxiety about what would happen if the sprinklers went off in our store, but I have been assured it won't happen. Still, scary thought!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us