Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Rowling vs Meyer

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Rowling vs Meyer

I must admit I've never really thought about "Rowling vs Meyer" as much as I would think about "Twilight vs HP" (although granted, I don't think it's a fair competition since HP is clearly more awesome in so many ways). I would personally be embarassed to write something like Twilight because I feel like there are a lot of things lacking in the saga like: round characters, plot, realistic dialogue (or monologue), a certain amount of selfrespect within the characters. I was actually a bit shocked when I found out Meyers majored in English. How can someone who has actually studied literature in detail come up with such a monstrosity?

So yeah, my opinion of Twilight is nowhere near based on Meyers as a person, although I suppose you could say I am more disappointed by it because of her background in English.

Harry Potter for life!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Honestly, while I make jokes about Twilight being based on sex dream, it really isn't that that bugs me - many books have been based on dreams, so there's nothing wrong with a book full of sexual tension being based on a sex dream. Or there wouldn't be, if it was well written. The writing style, the grammar, the word choice... It's just plain bad. The plot is dull, the characters are shallow and it hardly gives a good impression of female roles-models and relationships to younger readers.

But J.K Rowling as a person does bias my views on Harry Potter (but I don't really like the books anyway). In that I can't stand her or the books. While I know it probably is a bit silly, I find her almost personally insulting. It's not the fact she got a book that I think is bad published, it's the fact it wasn't a book written because she loves books, literature, writing (or even that she wanted to dabble in writing). She wanted to make money, she's even admitted that. Yes, she wanted to make money to help her family and she was a struggling single mum, but she engineered a book she was sure would appeal to a mass market to make money. And this offends me because I want to be a writer and published author - not because I want money, but because I enjoy writing and reading so much.
And to write this book she ripped off others; I know she was 'inspired' by mythology, it's not that that's problematic (many books and stories have been inspired by mythology for hundreds of years) it's the fact that she has literally ripped of many less well-known/older fantasy books and others besides... I can't unfortuantely remember the ones my mum was talking about being able to find direct rip-offs of, but they are there. I mean, looks at the dementors... They look just like the Naz-gul.

Bee doo bee dooo
I just really love...

Boobs.

Personal:
Youtube
, tumblr and twitter

Other joint accounts with friendy-poo with whom I vlog/blog:
Youtube, tumblr and twitter

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

^Why does it matter that she wrote to earn money when she was poor? Most carpenters work as carpenters primarily to earn a living, and nobody thinks that is a bad thing. Why would making a living by writing be something bad but earning a living by working with wood ok?

I don't mean to have a go at you, it's just that I've come across this attitude towards certain professions -usually creative, before but never seen an explanation why it's bad to do it for the money. And since you express those sentiments here, it's seems like an opportunity to ask :)

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'd object if what she wrote was mass produced, box-ticking crap and she only did it for the money... but as much as I want to say that I'm writing for the love of writing (and I am) I'd like to be able to support myself and the family I hope to have one day with it.

As for the 'ripping off'... that's a hard subject. Is there such a thing as an entirely origional idea? Probably not. Most stories, certainly in the fantasy genre, are inspired by mythology. And, to be fair, it's not like she's ripped the entire series off. If the dementors are someone else's concept, she's made them her own and the whole story isn't about them. They're just little parts of it. And, of course, her inspiration for them (whether she knew about other, similar things) was depression. That's something lots of writers will have utilised and personified within their stories.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

ETA interesting article about why Twilight was a good thing...
Irilar wrote:

^Why does it matter that she wrote to earn money when she was poor? Most carpenters work as carpenters primarily to earn a living, and nobody thinks that is a bad thing. Why would making a living by writing be something bad but earning a living by working with wood ok?

I don't mean to have a go at you, it's just that I've come across this attitude towards certain professions -usually creative, before but never seen an explanation why it's bad to do it for the money. And since you express those sentiments here, it's seems like an opportunity to ask :)

It looks like Blythe is objecting to JKR taking pre-existing concepts and deliberately assembling them in a way that would appeal to as wide a target audience as possible and hopefully be successful,as opposed to writing her own ideas and concepts which may not be. IDK if there is an answer to the question of whether creative art done for financial reasons is "better" or more "valid" than when it's done purely for the art and not any potential profit - but at least JKR was being realistic in trying to come up with something that would be sellable and she's been honest in saying so.

It's unfair to criticise her for that IMO ; it's like the band that says they make music for the fun of it and if anyone else likes it,it's a bonus. Everyone knows that's rubbish,but some bands are honest enough to say they really want a major label deal and be internationally successful,rich,and famous.

Dave.

-- Edited by skgogosfan on Wednesday 14th of November 2012 01:34:58 AM

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us