Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Rowling vs Meyer

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Rowling vs Meyer

What is the difference between JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer?
They have both achieved considerable success in similar areas: writing fiction, fantasy fiction, for largely teenage audiences. They both tackle some interesting and sometimes contraversial subjects: teenage pregnancy, stereotyping, abuses of the governments, negative influences. Yet JK Rowling is largely considered a saint in her field. Her work is virtually untouchable. And even those that do not like the content of her stories will freely admit her vast skills.

Meyer's work is vilified, degraded. Said to be riddled with Mormon propaganda
or her personal sexual fantasies.

What is different between these two women writers that makes one an angel and the other a demon?

Outside of the individual skills and merits of the writers and their creations, what is it about them that makes one appear to be such a bad role model whilst the other's personal life is merely touched upon and not cited as incentive to drip poison into young people's minds?

I am not a particular fan of the Twilight Saga and I, like most other people my age, grew up with the Harry Potter books. They've achieved, as far as I can tell, similar levels of success and marketability. Both have resulted in film versions and huge lines of related products creating, essentially, industries based solely around the ideas of two women who began their stories as ordinary people with an idea.

Is Meyer's personal life, her Morman faith and, indeed, anything else outside of what she expressly states is relevant to the work, something that the public ought to be looking at? And if so, should this be extended to all writers, especially those for children and young adults?

Can a person write outside of their own true feelings and without any intents to influence their readers? Is it right to expect that they do not do so, or that they only express ideas that match what is seen as good and right in current society? Is it nessecery to demand that only people with good lives that match current standards be allowed to share their ideas and indulge their passions as a career?

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm tired and I should go to bed so ignore me but I'd say Rowling's writing is better than Meyer's. Meyer's style is forced and ridiculous while Rowling is really good at intertwining adventure and humour. So I think there's a difference as regards quality, even though the content is similar.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I wasn't really referring to the quality of the stories as much as the personal lives of the writers and how we see their work (specifically Meyer's) based on what we know about them.

However, I'm going to guess that when you've had some sleep you'll probably get exactly what I mean, give me a glorious answer that puts all my efforts into phrasing this to shame and then make a witty comment that will be enjoyed by all.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Angels+Eyeliner wrote:
What is the difference between JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer?
They have both achieved considerable success in similar areas: writing fiction, fantasy fiction, for largely teenage audiences. They both tackle some interesting and sometimes contraversial subjects: teenage pregnancy, stereotyping, abuses of the governments, negative influences. Yet JK Rowling is largely considered a saint in her field. Her work is virtually untouchable. And even those that do not like the content of her stories will freely admit her vast skills.

If you define success as sales and avid readership, yes. Steph Meyer writes very engaging fiction, that found a niche market; she has that in common with Jo Rowling. From there, the authors are very, very different.

Meyer seems to know from the beginning what she wants to say about her characters, but she doesn't say that much. She is not evoking heavy symbolism in her stories. What you get is, thankfully, on the label. This is treated as a bit of a shortcoming, but only when you put her (unfairly) next to Rowling. On her own, she spins a good yarn.

I have read two of the books in the Twilight series, Twilight and Eclipse. While the movie's release got my interested in reading Twilight, it was boredom and curiousity that led me to Eclipse. I wanted to see where things would go with Jacob, so I read.

And I finished it (which is more than I could do with the ghost-written Katie Price novel I got as a gag gift for Christmas). I didn't much care for it. I often wanted to see Bella hit by a bus. But I dinished it, and that says something about Meyer, something good.

Angels+Eyeliner wrote:
Meyer's work is vilified, degraded. Said to be riddled with Mormon propaganda or her personal sexual fantasies.
What is different between these two women writers that makes one an angel and the other a demon?

Here lies part of the problem. Meyer's work deals in vampires and young sexuality. The farthest Potter gets into sexuality is an illusion that occurs when Ron Weasley's confonts the horcrux locket. Meyer is stepping into territory that most avid book readers know to be filled with horrid clichés, and evoking teenage sexual angst, by name.

Rowling could have introduced more sexuality in Potter, but she didn't. When Harry encounters jealousy over Ginny's relationship with Dean Thomas, she was coy where she could have been a touch graphic. I believe Rowling made the writing harder on herself by not embracing sexuality... I do believe Meyer made the bolder choice.

As to why Meyer is demonized, I don't know. I don't demonise her, personally. I poke fun at the work and sometimes its fandom, but not the author. Until I can publish work as popular as her's, I don't think I have the right to be that negative.

I wouldn't read too much of Rowling or Meyer in their work. I would take both as fantasy and enjoy a story. Meyer's personal fantasies are less interesting than the way fans have responded to her series.

"Just because someone doesnt love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have." -- Truman Capote

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

10p on Rowling to win by a knockout in the second round. ;)

One word. Credibility. Or if you need three-vampires that sparkle.

Rowling has created a believable fantasy world of wizards and creatures and customs just as good as C.S. Lewis's "Narnia" but what's critically important is that it's underpinned by timeless values of honour,friendship,and the eternal struggle of good vs evil. Epic shit,in other words,and I don't believe she pulled any punches in including darkness where needed,which demands respect.

What has Meyer done? Written Mills and Boon novels with vampires that bloody sparkle! Hahaha. No they don't,they're undead killers with no morals who have no problems with either draining your blood from your corpse or making you one of them. They don't moon about over some girl. She just totally ignores what a vampire really is and that lack of understanding just makes her make an idiot of herself. And because of that,people wonder who she is to write such nonsense...but they don't wonder that of Rowling,because the quality of her work makes it irrelevant.

I know what I'd rather read.

"And if so, should this be extended to all writers, especially those for children and young adults?"

I'd say you just have to be careful that any author isn't slipping in subtle propaganda or some "ism" for their own personal causes. Lewis's TLTWATW had a strong echo of Jesus's death and resurrection in what happened to Aslan...but I haven't read enough about it to say whether he was softening up his readers to be good christian soldiers or just ripping off the bible for a story idea. Mind you,the bible doesn't have any turkish delight in,so I'll take Lewis's story first. Past that,they should be free to write whatever they like no matter what that might be or how weird it is or how different from so-called "norms" it is.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've read everything by both of them and honestly I think they both suck. Two of the most blown-up, over-sold, over-paid and undeserving authors ever, and what's even worse is they've gone and inspired cronies!! (The author of 50 Shades of Grey apparently, but I haven't read that myself.)

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Well,afaik,neither had any spaceships or laser rifles in,so they weren't perfect. I wouldn't forget those...

Alligator said:
"Rowling could have introduced more sexuality in Potter, but she didn't. When Harry encounters jealousy over Ginny's relationship with Dean Thomas, she was coy where she could have been a touch graphic. I believe Rowling made the writing harder on herself by not embracing sexuality... I do believe Meyer made the bolder choice."

I don't think it's a failing of Rowling that she wasn't more explicit. You have to remember her target audience was probably younger than Meyer's,nor was it necessary to the plot to do so...and leaving things to the imagination is often far better than spelling out things in line-by-line detail. That's what slashfic is for. Allegedly. (lol)

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Rowling is a bit of an underdog; struggling single mother writing in every spare moment in cafes, is rejected from all sides then SUDDENLY she achieves her dreams. Then we get Meyer, a house wife who had a sexy dream, got bored and started writing about it. She too was rejected, then when she was published became an instant success with her target audience despite not working particularly hard for it.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Hmm. I can only speak for myself but my preference for Harry Potter to Twilight is purely down to the quality of writing, language, plotting and characterisation. I don't really judge work on the personal beliefs of the creator; I'm probably the only person left on the planet who didn't know Meyer is a Mormon. CS Lewis was a mega-Christian and that didn't stop me from enjoying his Narnia tales or other work one bit. Philip Pullman is a rabid atheist and that didn't stop me from enjoying the Dark Materials trilogy. I rabidly consume every bit of fiction that Sarah Waters writes and to this day I neither know nor care whether she is lesbian or not. I suspect that if Meyer's work was more critic-friendly she wouldn't be getting the grief she does.

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think a major point here is that people struggle to demonise Rowling in the same way because her work is more multi-layered. Same with Lewis: his work may reflect Christian themes, but because the work is quite involved, it's less of an issue. Themes of real life (mortality, friendship, morality, etc.) shine through more clearly because the work is a fantasy, and as such provides a foil to these issues. Rowling and Lewis both use certain themes and parallels (there's a huge amount of classical references in both works, actually), but because they use a third-person standpoint in a well-constructed fantasy world, it's harder to declare objectively that this is Rowling's voice or personal opinion.

Meyer's work, on the other hand, is about as deep as a puddle. I don't wish to be rude, but they are terrible, terrible books. I can't think of a character with a personality, or a plotline (and I suffered through that dreck, only to get very very angry!), and as such they don't really have that foil which creates a world more distant from the author. As such, it's far too easy to read Meyer's own dreams of being watched over all night by a creepy sparkly unsleeping father-substitute into the text, since there just isn't the same sort of depth there. Her religious beliefs were not only brought up by her in interviews, I believe, but she's made it far to easy to read Bella as an authorial insert. Rowling may have based Hermione on herself, but the boundaries are clearer because Hermione is a more human figure than Bella (ie. she's got faults. And a life) and Hermione is conflated with the authorial voice. As such, Bella just reads like a paper-thin avatar for Meyer, which raises a whole lot of new and creepy questions really. I'd be very intrigued to know what her husband and kids think of her books...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Magda, you're not alone. I didn't know Meyer was a Mormon. I started to read one of the books but by about page 11 I was so bored that I really thought my brain was going to leave my skull if I didn't find something else to read.

I think when you write about subjects that are already so widely spoken about you have to be careful if you're going to re-invent it. Which, I think, is where Meyer went wrong. She didn't just throw in a couple of new twists on the vampire myths, she completely disregarded them. Why didn't she invent a new creature that would fulfill all those characteristics? She could have made them just as relatable without inciting mockery but I think that, regardless of what she had written about, her work would still be dull and lack any kind of depth to it.

You say you want us to talk about the author's lives rather than their skill as a writer but, for me, I couldn't give a crap what an author gets up to in their real lives. At the end of the day it's ALL about what's written on those pages and the skill, or lack thereof, that sways it for me on whether I want to read their books.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I would say that the comparison is about the movies going head to head, having similar fan worship, and both having R.Pats; in no way has Meyer ever tried to represent herself as an equal to Rowling. It's an unfair comparison, one of those unfortunate pitfalls; while Twilight benefitted from an audience growing up on the Harry Potter books, it also put Meyer's writing under harsher scrutiny.

"Just because someone doesnt love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have." -- Truman Capote

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Spikey, that's kind of what I'm trying to establish. If it has, or should have, any relevance.

I'll agree that Twilight is a bunch of fluff, but I do wonder if the people who have been extremely horrified by its content would feel the same if nothing were known about the author. Whilst researching for my last assignment I found a paper entitled 'Vampires and Alternative Religions' by J.Gordon Melton and Angela Aleiss that has an entire page devoted to bullet point examples of Mormon beliefs and how they relate to the story. It goes beyond the typical surface details of marrying young and belief in angels that were once human (why didn't she just make Edward into a sparkly angel anyway, it makes more sense and the fallen angel thing has as much of the tortured soul and teenage rebellion appeal as the vampire) right down into the Hebrew names of all the Quiliute people.

• The Book of Mormon teaches that a remnant of these ancient people came to America around 600 B.C.; their descendents, the Lamanites, are among the ancestors of the Native Americans. Quileute names in the series are decidedly Hebrew: Jacob, Paul, Sam, Ephraim, Jared, Seth, Joshua, Levi, Rebecca and Rachel. Jacobs last name is Black, a reference to the Lamanites skin of blackness (metaphorically, a religious rather than an ethnic distinction).[1]

[1] Each of these Mormon theological issues is discussed in Daniel H. Ludlow, ed., Encyclopedia of Mormonism (New York:Macmillan Company, 1992).

That's a pretty big finger to point there. Personally, my writing is full of names of all kinds of origins. Sometimes it's significant, sometimes not. As far as I can remember, the only times I have used names specifically from a certain place and not because of the sound, meaning or general conotations of the name has been in a reincarnation story where I wanted to show the global diversity of the incarnations. I would argue that the only reason her work is full of Hebrew names is because they are the most common ones around her, most writers will draw inspiration from their immediate surroundings and if she doesn't know enough about Native Americans it wouldn't be fair to call them all Little Tree or Blue Feather or whatever other stereotypes fall out of the hat. I feel that if her personal life wasn't taken into account, no one would have really noticed the names and it certainly wouldn't have been used as an example illustrated the dominance of religion on a piece of fiction.

On a slightly different slant, but still relevant to what I want to know really, what do people think of the comments that have been made about Chris Brown making good music and, because of that, his fans should still stick by him and his career shouldn't suffer because of his past relationship and domestic violence? Rock stars have a long history of being the bad boys; engaging in casual sex, taking drugs, vandalising property and being violent and their fans have never really stopped listening because of that. Does ANYONE'S personal life have ANY relevance to their career, especially their creative output? 

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Magda Mookychick wrote:

Hmm. I can only speak for myself but my preference for Harry Potter to Twilight is purely down to the quality of writing, language, plotting and characterisation. I don't really judge work on the personal beliefs of the creator; I'm probably the only person left on the planet who didn't know Meyer is a Mormon. CS Lewis was a mega-Christian and that didn't stop me from enjoying his Narnia tales or other work one bit. Philip Pullman is a rabid atheist and that didn't stop me from enjoying the Dark Materials trilogy. I rabidly consume every bit of fiction that Sarah Waters writes and to this day I neither know nor care whether she is lesbian or not. I suspect that if Meyer's work was more critic-friendly she wouldn't be getting the grief she does.

^ this!

many of you may know that i heart both sagas (is sagas a word?) an to be honest i dont care if the person that writes it is a smack head from toxteth or a preist from rome so long as i enjoy the book

'keep the beast in my nature under seaseless attack'

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Since you brought him up:

I think Chris Brown's "With You" is really beautiful. He didn't write that song, but he performs it well, and I like it when it pops up on the radio. I don't respond to Brown as an image of what I would like to be. There is TMI floating around about his relationship with Rhianna, and rather than repeat those sins here, I'll leave it at this: I don't care for him as a personality. And he is a highly-visible public figure.

Some authors are as famous for their public profiles as they are their work, but that's very, very rare. We're an iconoclast society, and we tend to accept or reject people en masse. I'm not interested in Meyer's inspiration or her personal life.

I've read two of her books and, while they had good parts I liked, I wouldn't call them terribly inspired writing. wink

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Chewing gum for the brain, that's what I like to call them. Same as gosspi magazines. You read them when you've nothing else to do and you don't necessarily enjoy it, but you read on anyway!
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the sudden flippant mention of Dumbledore's sexuality after the sixth book. There was NO suggestion of him being gay at all, then she just so happened to pull it out of her arse at some interview. It really annoyed me tbh, why couldn't he just have been left in peace? It wouldn't have annoyed me if it made sense, but it didn't. It properly felt like a publicity thing to me.
THAT is why I dislike JK Rowling (as opposed to her work, which I don't like for different reasons). She may be living my dream and all, but I just don't like her attitude. The whole thing of the characters just walking into her head one day and all that...
Her books and characters have some charm and depth but that's kind of it for me. (We all know Twilight doesn't, but I think there's something more honest about Meyer's general... well, lack of talent, haha.) HP are okay books but there are MUCH more deserving series' and authors out there that should have the same status but don't. That's what really gets me!

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MissChris wrote:

^ Chewing gum for the brain, that's what I like to call them. Same as gosspi magazines. You read them when you've nothing else to do and you don't necessarily enjoy it, but you read on anyway!
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the sudden flippant mention of Dumbledore's sexuality after the sixth book. There was NO suggestion of him being gay at all, then she just so happened to pull it out of her arse at some interview. It really annoyed me tbh, why couldn't he just have been left in peace? It wouldn't have annoyed me if it made sense, but it didn't. It properly felt like a publicity thing to me.
THAT is why I dislike JK Rowling (as opposed to her work, which I don't like for different reasons). She may be living my dream and all, but I just don't like her attitude. The whole thing of the characters just walking into her head one day and all that...
Her books and characters have some charm and depth but that's kind of it for me. (We all know Twilight doesn't, but I think there's something more honest about Meyer's general... well, lack of talent, haha.) HP are okay books but there are MUCH more deserving series' and authors out there that should have the same status but don't. That's what really gets me!

It's like so many things though - there are any number of fantastic bands out there who aren't getting any publicity while utter drivel gets all the attention. 

The Harry Potter series wasn't perfect, the "future" bit at the end of the last one just made me want to throw the book out the window, but for depth of characters and the world she created around them I think Rowling is the better author.  The characters may have just "walked into her head", I come up with any number of people in my head over the course of a day, but she then gave them lives and backgrounds.  Meyer's characters just feel a bit too flat.  She based her characters on a dream, not really any different to just thinking them up one day.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ That's very true, but it still totally pissed me off!
I will admit one of Rowling's better points were her characters, and the dopes from Twilight certainly don't compare, but I still think Rowling's work is a LOT less original than she's given credit for. ALL the creatures and things she writes about are from myths and fairy tales - she's admitted that along with the whole characters making themselves up business. It just all seems so... fake, somehow.

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I think that characters 'making themselves up' is the best and most honest way of writing, actually. Otherwise it becomes clear that a forumla of some kind has been used and a writer has thought to themselves 'right, I need a man who is not afraid of his bisexuality who likes the colour yellow and a woman who is extremely homophobic who likes pink and...'. I've often said that my characters take over my stories. I'll be writing what I'd intended to and then Ioto will pop up and remind me that she just wouldn't say that, she'd do this... and it often ends up feeling like I'm not inventing characters but remembering things about them. They gradually grow and reveal themselves to me when the time is right, and I think about what a character would do in a situation and think of an incident from their childhood...

Frankly, aside from using formulas and ripping off actual people, the only way to create characters is to have them 'walk into your head' in a sense. And there's no shame in having them inspired in a dream. Bram Stoker's Dracula began when he dreamt of himself in Johnathon's situation: trapped by three lovely women and having a man declare 'this man is mine!'.

Spikey- I do agree that the ending of the Harry Potter series ruined it for me. They marry and have children named after some of the guys that died. It was a little too box-checking and summerising for me. Harry has been an incredble person all his life... and then he turns conventional and does what everyone else does. I'm glad it ended and she didn't try and drag it out over the next forty years of his life but it could have ended and left the future to our imaginations.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I actually agree with everything you've said to a point, I just don't like the way she's done it herself. It almost feels like she's sometimes claiming she had nothing to do with the characters or story at all, and in a way I respect that... But I don't like her attitude about it. And yes the ending was fucking diabolical.
To answer your orignal question! Couldn't give a fuck Meyer is a Mormon, she's just not a good inspiring author, her books were flat as pancakes and full of bad soft porn, so I don't like her. I actually originally liked the whole sparkling thing, it could've been turned into something cool like some magic vampire metal, but she wreaked it.
I do have respect for Rowling, especially because she wrote her story in between being a struggling single mother (if she can do it I can too n all that), so she gains brownie points for her background. I'll admit I found HP entertaining, but it didn't grip me like so many other books have. Even as a child reading it I found myself feeling a little bored and almost insulted by how simple the writing was in parts.
If I had to choose between the tw, I'd defintely pick up Harry Potter first... I still don't like her attitude and think it's overblown, but I'd read it again.

Edit: Adding to the 'couldn't give a fuck about Meyer being Mormon' comment, I think her background pales massively in comparison to her books' message (dare I call it that!) feeding teen girls full of rubbish romantic made up bollocks about teen marriage, pregnancy and most deplorable of all, the heroine changing herself completely for the sake of her fella.

-- Edited by MissChris on Monday 18th of June 2012 02:39:30 PM

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

MissChris wrote:
Edit: Adding to the 'couldn't give a fuck about Meyer being Mormon' comment, I think her background pales massively in comparison to her books' message (dare I call it that!) feeding teen girls full of rubbish romantic made up bollocks about teen marriage, pregnancy and most deplorable of all, the heroine changing herself completely for the sake of her fella.

A flip side of that is that she's becoming something she wants to be. That she is not autonymous and that it ends with a 'happily married after' is lousy, but she transforms to a confident, powerful self. I have no problem with her vampirism, just that attached to it is she's married Edward.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ That's my issue. She had no desire to change herself before she met him (and okay, one could argue that that's only because she didn't know about vampires and such, but she only seemed to want to become one so she could be more like him and make him less vulneralble to his enemies through her... Does that make sense??) Anyway, he's a controlling sparkly freak who decides where and when and says no for bloody ages - it is absolutely not about her becoming herself in this situation. It could've been, but it wasn't.

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

MissChris wrote:

^ That's very true, but it still totally pissed me off!
I will admit one of Rowling's better points were her characters, and the dopes from Twilight certainly don't compare, but I still think Rowling's work is a LOT less original than she's given credit for. ALL the creatures and things she writes about are from myths and fairy tales - she's admitted that along with the whole characters making themselves up business. It just all seems so... fake, somehow.

Hmm,not sure if "fake" is the best word. The vast majority of creative media is inspired by what preceded it ; how you take inspiration from what has come before you and how you combine that with your own interpretations to create something slightly different is the key. Blatant plagiarism is a lot different from being inspired by some thing or things and to create a different spin on it/them.

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My Classics teacher kept drilling us that origionality was never an important part of classical literature. The reason the Aenid is so simiilar to the Illiad is because Virgil wrote it exactly like that, to be a Roman piece of work of the same standard, with the same story taking the same journey. The Greeks went to the theatre to see stories they knew inside out. I don't think it's lazy to incorperate mythology and other ideas into work, it requires a lot of skill and introduces new layers for keen readers. It also takes some skill and subtlty to do it properly. For example, when researching precidents for excusing the hippogriff Buckbeak for his assault on Malfoy, Hermione finds a reference to a Manticore and then passes over it, when Rowling could have gone into great detail and explained all the relevance. It's there for people who know what it means, and it's just a creature to those that don't.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Well yeah of course I agree with you both, you're totally right, we all have to take our inspiration from somewhere and personally there is nothing I love more than stories inspired by myths and full of creatures from them... I just felt she missed the mark with a lot of it, like the story was less about the story and more about the characters and whacky school. I guess it all just comes back to me not finding her convincing as an author!

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I find Harry Potter a bit twee nowadays. The bitter sweetness, the kooky characters, the slightly restrained prose... I think as I've grown out of childhood, I've grown out of Potter in return.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I never really got into either author. The first time that I read Twilight, I must confess that I fell in love with it. I was also twelve. A year later, I tried to read it again and couldn't get past the first five pages because I got tired of wading through the swamp of egregiously bad writing. J.K. Rowling's writing is far superior, even though her literary talents are nowhere near flawless. I read a few of the Harry Potter books when I was a kid - up to the Prisoner of Askaban - and I enjoyed them. A lot of that enjoyment was probably due to my bizarre obsession with witches that I had at that age, but...I'm sure that I would still find them entertaining, much more entertaining than the Twilight drivel, at least.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I'm so old that I was an adult when both authors were published, so I have no rose tinted memories of any of them. I can however say that I would have greatly enjoyed Harry Potter when I was a kid, while I would have hated Twilight when I was a teen. I honestly think that the reason Meyer is vilified have little to do with her as a person and everything to do with her writing.

While neither ladies will go down in history as the greatest wordsmiths of our time, Rowling is a fairly decent author and Meyer is a very very bad one. I'm somewhat of a bookworm and have plowed through and enjoyed some pretty sloppily written houswifeporn in my time, but Meyer are among the few authors whose storytelling is so bad and so dull that I cannot force myself to finish the book. And not only is the writing bad, the protagonists are neither interesting nor likeable and Meyer's take on the vampire myth is quite possibly the lamest in history.

I know very little about Stephanie Meyer apart from her being a bad writer. I'm not sure if I knew what religion she belongs to before this thread or not, and either way I don't care. Like others have mentioned, there are lots of authors with weird beliefs out there and it's not much of an issue. It's not an issue because they write decent books. Twilight on the other hand is ass gravy presented as gold, and hence people will point out the ass gravyness. And then, when the drivel continue to sell, one might be even more annoyed and pounce on Meyers (perceived) flaws as a person in addition to her flaws as an author.
I don't begrudge Rowling her success because I generally feel that she have earned it. I do begrudge Meyer her success because it seems so undeserved.

By the way it is totally possible to make blatant mormon propaganda which doesn't suck. Battlestar Galactica is proof of that ;)

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^IDK that about BSG ; all hail our prophet Lorne Greene? That was a great show!

Dave.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I've read both series in their entirety and as a lot of people have already said, the backgrounds of the authors didn't really feature in my decision that the Twilight saga really wasn't worth re-reading. I queued up at midnight to get my pre-ordered copy of every Harry Potter book from The Goblet of Fire upwards and only bought the Twilight books next time I was in a bookshop if I had the money and the queue wasn't too long.

Comparativley the world that Rowling creates is much more believable as she has created books such as Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and where to find them, and in these books and the canon she often explains questions like "why don't the muggles notice a massive castle full of thousands of teenagers on broomsticks." She creates a world that runs in parallell to ours whereas Meyer just seems to try and insert a new race directly into our world and uses what I would consider very weak reasons for humans not to have noticed that some of the Pupils at Forks high school sparkle if the sun peers from between the clouds. They go camping when the weathers bright. Surely that's most of the summer then? No school would put up with that, and what about those unexpected sunny afternoons after a morning of thunderstorms predicted to go on all day? There are too many holes in her logic.

Meyer also has the most irritating 'heroine' ever. "Edward left me so I laid down on the wet forest floor and cried. Then someone found me and I resigned myself to crying in my room for 6 months but then he came back and it was good but he won't let me ravage him, he just likes to watch me sleep." Now I'm not saying that Rowlings characters are all well-rounded and realistic all the time. But most of the time their reactions are. When Harry feels that Dumbledore is hiding something important from him he gets angry. When Ron is away from his family on the horcrux hunt he gets tense and flies of the handle easily because he's always worrying about them. etc.

Wow. I didn't expect to write that much but to answer your question, the author had nothing to do with it, except what they sent to their publisher.

He'll always be there singing songs in my head.

I believe in Sherlock Holmes.

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us