Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Worries about my application because of violet hair...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Worries about my application because of violet hair...

hey there

I am writing my application for a voluntary ecological year, but I am not sure if my violet hair is going to be a problem on the application photo or not.

Does anyone of you have dyed hair and found a similar job?

I don't have any piercings or tattoos, I just have dyed hair and it's work in a botanical garden but also with pedagogics work. How conservative can they be? Are my worries valid?

The other possibility is - beneath dying my hair blonde again - using an older photo and coming into the interrogation room with colorful hair...
What would you do?

I really want this job, and it's only for a year - after it I will go studying.

Please help....
Thanks xxx

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

As a field, I honestly have no idea how conservative ecology is. Generally though, I find that most jobs will frown at 'unnatural' hair colours. Is there any way you could find out before you apply what their attitudes to appearance are? In my job, if you try to apply for it, they tell you outright that you need to take your piercings out/dye your hair or you won't even get an interview.

My one piece of advice I'm sure of is don't use an old photo on your application and then turn up with your vioet hair! Something tells me they really won't appreciate that. You'd be much better just being honest about it.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I don't know. Should I email them - or could that be a bad idea, too?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

No harm in asking. It'll show you're serious about the job. Or you could always wear a wig!

At the library where I work, they're pretty relaxed about hair/piercings etc. My colleague dyed his hair bright blue for his wedding (he was the something blue!) and he was fine.

~doxy

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ask! Make is clear that you are willing to change it (I assume you are) but that you would like to know in advance if it's going to be a problem. Refusing to interview you based purely on the colour of your hair is outright discrimination so they shouldn't have a problem with it. They might request you dye it back to a natural colour but they shouldn't deny you a chance because you once had violet hair. If they say it isn't a problem make sure you still look professional to prove that you can make it work.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us