Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Cat care?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Cat care?

Hiya, As I may have said, Me and my family are going to get a cat. We have some thingsfor it already, We've got a litter tray and scoop, bowls and we are picking up one of those cool treehouse type scratch posts. Were looking out for any other things and we definittely need a carrier, so basically when we have everything needed and have done a little more research we shall get one. 

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what it will need, general tips, good books on cats? We are probably getting a kitten, either one or two.

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

Buy a Furminator grooming brush. Pickle told me about them and they are amazing for when the cats are in moult (we have four cats and sometimes it feels like I'm breathing cat hair when they're shedding.

You can try buying a bed for them to sleep in, but I wouldn't bother. I've never yet had a cat that sleeps in it's bed, they tend to find places they like (which are usually inconvenient)

It's worth checking out your local vets and getting all the information on vaccinations beforehand, just so you know how much it's all going to cost.

Also, lots of toys. Kittens love toys. However, my cats might love their toys, but their other favourites to play with are drinking straws, pegs and anything tied to a bit of string and dragged along the floor.

This is probably all really obvious, I don't really know what sort of things are helpful to suggest. Also, post pictures when you get the kittens :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I adopted my cat so I missed seeing her as a kitten, but I'll try to give you as much advice as possible!

My cat has a purple cocoon type bed which she loves, but she also like sleeping on top of the guinea pigs' cage just as much (so long as someone leaves a nice plump cushion up there for her royal behind). Where do you plan on letting your cats sleep?

It's a good idea to groom your kittens often as it re-inforces the bond between you. Kittens would be used to being groomed by their mother, so you brushing them sets you up as their surrogate mother. Grooming also gets them used to be handled and means that you can check their coat/eyes/ears/claws to make sure that they are healthy.

Will your cats be indoor or outdoor cats?

I wouldn't bother buying expensive toys for the kitties. Like onewhitelioness said, kittens will play with anything they find. Bits of string and pen lids are just as much fun as shop bought toys, and it doesn't matter as much when they destroy them.

It's a very good idea to get your cats spayed and vaccinated. Getting your cats checked out early on by your local vet is also a good idea, that way you know for sure that they have a clean bill of health. Neutering boy kitties generally stops them from being as aggressive or spraying pee around the house, and spaying girl kitties means that you don't get a load more kittens! Of course that depends on whether or not you want your cats to breed. Do get your cats vaccinated though, and micro-chipped. The micro-chip mean that if your cats get lost and someone takes them to the local RSPCA or vets, they can scan the chip to find out who's cat they are and return them to you.

Anyways, that's probably enough advice for now! Definitely post pictures of the kittens. Have you thought of any names yet?

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

You need a camera! They do funny things and we need to see them :)

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Get your cats from a rescue centre, give a loving home to a poor unloved little mite!

Also, kittens need a lot more care and attention than grown up kitties. They shouldn't be left alone for more than a few hours, if at all I think.

-- Edited by Picklechops on Monday 12th of March 2012 04:03:44 PM

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ Agreed, kittens tend to need a lot of time and attention. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're planning on leaving them at home alone while you're at school and your parents are at work you'll probably run into some problems.

Adopting pets is a brilliant thing to do. There are so many cats out there that have lost their homes and need a loving family, and bonding with them is so rewarding. On the other hand they may have emotional problems from being poorly treated so you have to be careful not to take on more than you can handle.

Honoured Mook

Date:

If you're getting a kitten, I'd recommend getting two. That way they can entertain each other when you're too busy/tired/whatever for cat-times. I am totally behind the adoption idea - I volunteer at the shelter, and between the months of May and October it's "kitten season," meaning we get way more kittens than we can handle. We have gotten a hundred fifty in one month alone (not including adult cats)!!

I'm not sure about books, but there are some excellent articles online about understanding cat communication. Being aware of the body language and vocal cues is something that's really enriched my friendship with my cat. As other mooks have said, definitely spay/neuter them, get them vaccinated and dewormed, and have them checked out by a vet soon after you get them. Microchipping is also an excellent idea.

I give my cat fresh water from the tap everyday, as they do prefer it (and it keeps her from drinking from the toilet v_v). Low-energy indoor cats tend to get a bit chubby, so if it/they will be indoor kitties it's a good idea to feed them once or twice daily and not leave much out for free-feeding. I love fat cats, but obesity is just as harmful to them as it is to us. ):

If you're getting kittens, I suggest exposing them to other animals and their carrier in safe, calm, positive environments so they are much more secure and comfortable should they need to deal with those when they're adults.

Awwww, I love kitties. Congratulations, and be sure to post pictures. :3

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

^ in my experience it can be a bit tricky to get two cats. 9 times out of 10 it works fine, but sometimes they really don't get along when they grow up. And after all, cat's are not herd animals. They do relate to each other and can form loving relationships, but they are not dependant on having company of their own kind on a daily basis. Perhaps getting two would be a good idea if they are inside cats, but if you let them outside they can hang out with the neighbourhood cats when they want catty company while still having their home and you all to themselves. In the end, cats are just as different as people are. Some cats are very social, some hardly tolerate other cats.

What I think is important is to not take them from their mother too young. First off it is in my opinion cruel and chances are that the cat will not have learnt everything he/she needs to know about being a cat. It's not all instinct, young cats learn incredibly much from their mum (and grandmum if she is around). The younger a kitten are removed from their mum, the bigger the chances that they will have behavioural problems. Secondly it is incredibly much more demanding on you. An older kitten will be much more independent and I strongly recommend getting a kitten that knows more about taking care of itself. A kitten shouldn't leave his/her mum before 12 weeks of age.

If possible, a cat should be allowed outside. If you can't let it out to roam, get a cat that's never been outside and preferably one whose mum is an inside cat.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

oooh, new fur babies! it's exciting!

here's my ex vet nurse recomended cat carrier:

easy to get them in and out, even in the event of a bad injury, as the whole lid opens and you're not trying to stuff them through a hole slightly smaller than a cat flap.

no fiddly catches to have to twist shut when an enraged feline is trying to escape, and very easy to clean in the event of your pet having a communicable disease.

and it comes in black, what more do you want?

http://www.monsterpetsupplies.co.uk/p-15900-wire-cat-basket-cat-carrier.aspx?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=google-shopping&utm_campaign=google-shopping&CAWELAID=756272550

(anything else is a waste of money IMO. one of these will last you a lifetime.)

kittens are adorable, and as a serial cat hoarder i can see the appeal... but with rescues already bursting at the seams with the animals abandoned by their previous owners during the collapsing economy, and the spring rush of kittens rapidly approaching there's an argument for taking on an older cat or two.

thanks to the advances in feline medicine many cats now live comfortably into their late teens/early 20's, so a five year old cat at a shelter still has a long life ahead of itself. watching a dignified 10 year old cat go loopy for a feather on a piece of string is just as entertaining than watching a kitten do it... better in some ways.

if you do decide to rescue an older cat, give a second look to the black and white ones, because these are the cats that spend longer in rescue than any other cat (possibly because they're not as 'showy' as ther tabby/solid colour/tortoiseshells/gingers, conversley, in canine rescue kennels it's black dogs that wait longer than most to get homed...people are weird, man! no

you will often find pairs of cats at rescue that need to be placed in a home together, and these are also hard to place as not many people can offer a home to the new two that would not upset the dynamic of their current cat family (one cat being easier to intergrate than two) so you're also in a fabulous position to do both the cats and the rescue center a favour by freeing up space for the next deserving cause waiting for a palcement.

a cat from rescue will have been health checked, vaccinated, neutered and possibly microchipped, but more importantly, the staff will have assessed  then and will know if they are suitable for a busy home or need somewhere quieter where they can enjoy their own space, and help you make the right choice.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's really helpful. My mum said we can possibly go to the rescue place to have a look on wednesday, although we wont be getting them as soon as that. My mum is fussy and ridiculous and will only get a cat if it's black and a kitten as she wants to have it from the beginning. I on the other hand couldn't care less and neither could my sister.
I was utterly shocked to hear that black cats find it difficult to find a home, they're just lovely!
I'll definitely check out the cat carrier and furminator cat brushes.
I don't think we would be getting a tiny baby kitten probably a slightly older kitten. Although I'm at home pretty much all day every day, either way someone is always there who could look out for it.
I'm not sure if they will be outdoor or indoor cats, we have a garden although it isn't big we do get other cats sometimes so it should be fine and we don't live on a particularly busy road either.
My mum is going to talk to friends with cats to gain more knowledge, I'll definitely find some articles.
I'll definitely post pictures when I get it or even them! :D

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

Irilar wrote:

^ in my experience it can be a bit tricky to get two cats. 9 times out of 10 it works fine, but sometimes they really don't get along when they grow up. And after all, cat's are not herd animals. They do relate to each other and can form loving relationships, but they are not dependant on having company of their own kind on a daily basis. Perhaps getting two would be a good idea if they are inside cats, but if you let them outside they can hang out with the neighbourhood cats when they want catty company while still having their home and you all to themselves. In the end, cats are just as different as people are. Some cats are very social, some hardly tolerate other cats.

Excellent point, thank you for mentioning that. My family was fortunate enough to get one extrordinarily placid male and two good-natured females that coexisted peacefully and lovingly as adults - but they all got to roam outdoors during the day. Florie, if you do end up getting two, I suggest you either get two that have lived happily with each other indoors for awhile already, or two kittens that get along swimmingly and keep an eye on their behavior to make sure the relationship doesn't sour as they mature. Also, females tend to have smaller territory requirements than males and are less likely to roam.

His lips were blue.
Well, I guess they were pink, but they looked blue and I couldn't help but notice how they matched his eyes.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Cats love cardboard boxes, socks, hair ties, crumbled up paper, and flash lights more than expensive toy you could ever buy them so don't worry to much when it comes to cat toys. (:

Also try not to give kitties cow's milk, it makes them terribly ill and it's no fun cleaning up the litter box afterwards.

Anything you'd like to know just ask, I actually work with cats at a rescue center and nurse them back to health or foster them until they get adopted. Though I only have 2 cats of my own.

Lights Fires in the Genitals of Mooks Everywhere.

Tumblr

Facebook

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

SaraSunshine wrote:

Anything you'd like to know just ask, I actually work with cats at a rescue center and nurse them back to health or foster them until they get adopted. Though I only have 2 cats of my own.

^ I'd love to volunteer at my local RSPCA, do you mind if I PM you for advice about how to go about it and what to expect?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Today me and my mum went to just have a little look at one of the animal shelters near where I live.
We saw this adorable little black male kitten. he's had various injections and I'm pretty sure he has been spayed. He's was so perfect for our house as he'll be allowed outside by june so when I go to college he'll be old enough to be on his own for longer. A lady at my Dads work is offering us a carrier as her cat has out grown it. Me and my sister will pay for the insurance and other costs. Anyway we've put a temporary reserve on him as we needed to think about it a little longer. So we will ring tomorrow and reserve him. They then will do house checks and things. :D

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ Weeeeee, kitty! He sounds adorable, do you have any name ideas yet? Boys are typically neutered, though - spaying involves the removal of ovaries, which is harder to do in boycats. (:

His lips were blue.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ always used to make me laugh at the vets when people would come in and say their pets were there to be 'spaded'... (insert mental image of veterinary nurses beating pets to death with shovels in the kennel room).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I used to always get that same horrible image every time some one said spayed, not just spaded.

Anyway my Mum and sister came up with the names Lupin and Moss which I also like and my Dad couldn't care less.
Moss really suits him so unless we suddenly think of something else it's likely he'll be named Moss. Him and his sisters were found in a paper bag. I just don't know how anyone could put something so cute and lovely in a bag!

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Florie wrote:

I used to always get that same horrible image every time some one said spayed, not just spaded.

edit: Someone came and reserved him. The woman in reception for some reason wrote that we temporarily reservedhim at 12 rather than 20 miutes to 2. I suppose we'll just have to look around again.

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

One of the good/bad (depending on how you look at it) things about rescue cats & kittens is that due to whatever has happened in the past, they may have little, erm... quirks... Take my two babies for example.

A friend and his ex girlfriend got them from a shelter in Bolton, where they had been taken from a creepy trampy guys house that had been repossessed and was full of animals. They then split up and his ex took them with her. A while later, she decided she didn't want them, gave them back to him, and another while later, they were given to me which involved a long drive up to Harrogate, and then a few months later a move to Leeds.

I have no idea how old my cats are or if they're related in any way. What I know for sure is that they were both horribly mistreated early on in their lives, may have been taken from their mother/s too early and have both had kittens themselves. Because of this, one of them is very very jumpy, and although she hardly does it now, she used to cringe and run away whenever anyone stood up or walked near her. They're both brain damaged and they both have teeth missing, and the other cat doesn't like her head being touched unless she 'invites' to do it. So, I think it's safe to say that they have both been kicked and hurt badly at some point, and they haven't forgotten it. Because of this they're both clingy, needy and suffer from separation anxiety whenever I leave the house. But, on the other hand, they are both gentle, incredibly loving, and will jump on just about anyone's lap for a cuddle, and have never tried to bite or intentionally scratch anyone. It's taken a lot of love and care on my part to build up their trust and we have a very strong bond, but they can sometimes be difficult to care for because I will have at least one of them trying to sit on my lap/head/chest at any one time or following me about and almost tripping me up or getting themselves accidentally trodden on. They're not the brightest kitties in the world and they can be very vocal, but I wouldn't change them for any other cats in the world. It's just a good job I don't mind going to the toilet while they sit in front of me and shout at me or try and jump on my lap...

So just be prepared, but don't let it put you off. My cats are just plain fucking weird, but then if they weren't they wouldn't be my cats!

Edit: If I ever get anymore cats, I'll get them by going to shelters and saying "give me your ugliest, least loved cat and let me love them forever and ever and ever please".

-- Edited by Picklechops on Thursday 15th of March 2012 02:35:58 PM

Picklechops - splatterer of a thousand scrota! Don't mess with me! - Pickle according to Dave!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Picklechops wrote:

Edit: If I ever get anymore cats, I'll get them by going to shelters and saying "give me your ugliest, least loved cat and let me love them forever and ever and ever please".

-- Edited by Picklechops on Thursday 15th of March 2012 02:35:58 PM

yeah, i always seem to end up with the manky ones no-one else wants, but i always think you end up with the animal that needs you, not necessarily the one you went to get!

when my mum died i had the job of working out what to do with her 2 cats. i already had 3, so taking both of them on was not feasible as much as i wanted to. mum's little russian blue baby was quite normal, outgoing and easy company around people, so i rehomed her with an old school chum that i knew would spiol her rotten smile

what to do with chuck norris though was a different kettle of fish...he's a freaky wierdo, ex-kitten farm and very badly bred (permanently blocked tear ducts leading to a constant runny nose, bent spine, abnormal coat, and behavioural problems leading from spending his first 6 months in a cage in a shed) when i originally took him on he was 10 years old, would hide from people, wouldn't go outside, and would obsessivley wank on you if he got the chance, probably because he had already been used to breed from on the kitten farm. (delightfull!) i think that mum always feeling sorry for him and sheltering him from life did him no favours, although i can sympathise with why she felt that way. what he really needed was to be in a busy household, but left primarily to his own devices until he realised all these new people and other animals were things weren't really that scary.

it wasn't easy, my house mate at the time refused another cat in the flat, so i had to find somewhere else to live, my younger neutered male was not impressed and we has 'wee-wars' to contend with while they sorted out who was boss (which upset the two females and they joined in) and the odd scrap or two to break up. all in all it took about a year for everyone to settle down. 2 years on he's a confident explorer, happily intergrated with the other cats (best mates with my grumpy old ex- feral) and now joins in with house parties... more importantly he no longer stress wanks on people either!

so yes, you can be taking on a whole mess of trouble with a cat from rescue, but seeing them blossom, learn to trust you and settle into a happy life is so worth it it's untrue. but there are also a lot of cats there that are there for other reasons (the cats of deceased owners, the cats that cannot be taken to social housing, the cats that get dumped because there's a baby on the way and people are scared the cat will injure the baby (numpties!) and so on... the important thing is to acknowledge their past traumas and then move on. the past is in the past and our job is to teach them that the new life is a good one.

i know my mum would be so proud of him now biggrin he loves his little ginger life!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladycarfax/6682935937/in/set-72157626482525622

Honoured Mook

Date:

Aww, I love stories of rescues in happy homes. My kitty and her siblings simply came from two "oops" litters my sister's friend's family had. Sometimes at the shelter I volunteer at with get cats with very queer diseases. For example, one of the sweet resident cats (y'know, the kind that sort of shuffles around, sleeping on paperwork and knocking phones off their cradles, all the while looking incredibly adorable so it never gets in trouble for it?) has something we fondly refer to as drunken sailor syndrome. I don't know what he's been through, but he has the sweetest temperament and the most adorable little walk.

Sorry to hear about the kitty, Florie, but I'm sure another is out there waiting for you to find it. :3

His lips were blue.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I'm sorry to be a grinch here, but if it is your family's first cat I don't necessarily think that getting a cat that has been traumatized is the best idea. If you don't know much about having a cat, you'll need a cat who knows what it's like to be a healthy cat so that you'll learn how cats behave.

Next time, by all means get the cat that desperately need your help, but unless someone in the household already have the experience and time needed to give it the extra care that it needs I'd say that getting a traumatized cat is asking for trouble. As Lady C said, there are cats that need a new home that have had a normal life. I think you should go for one of those. The people at the rescue should be able to tell you which cats are suitable for first time cat owners and which cats need a cat therapist.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ I agree wholeheartedly that a person's first cat should be a healthy, "normal" one. But I think if she's going to get a kitten from a rescue it won't have had much opportunity to be traumatized. I'm not sure what pet-rescue is like in Britain, but in California the majority of kittens we get aren't brought in from abuse/neglect cases. Definitely talk to the rescue employees and/or volunteers about any cat you're interested in, Florie, to be safe.

His lips were blue.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I definitely agree with you Irilar. It's one of the reasons we thought it would be best to get very happy and friendly kittens as a friend of mine who has cats in the past recently took on a cat with some difficulties and had sadly had to take it back to the shelter. We were looking on the website of a shelter earlier and my Mum saw some she like although they had come from a neglected background so we thought it might not be the best idea for us. Were going to carry on looking the problem is it may be difficult to find a kitten of the right age.

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

it's worth keeping an eye on sites like gumtree as well as looking at rescues, (there was a black male kitten on the bristol site 2 weeks ago which would have been up your street)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Ooh! good idea, I'll check them too. We were thinking about looking a little further afield to south wales and other areas in the west country.

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh man, my cat's about to have four kittens, which means I'll have eight cats... not cool.

My cats (there were three to start with) used to get on just fine when they were kittens, and they were all from the same litter. However, once they reached "cat" stage, when they were about a year old, they started to fight. Only one cats seems to be the problem, and she, for the most part, stays away from the others, but she will hiss if she sees one of them. The others get on just fine, including one of the kittens from our pregnant cat's first litter.

Our cats weren't adopted from an animal shelter, as such, but a woman with a lot of pets who said she'd much rather have them off her hands. She sounds like me, grumble grumble.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us