Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What books did you like as a child?

Regular Crew

Date:
RE: What books did you like as a child?

My ultimate favourite book when I was a child was Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
I must've read it a million times.
I mainly read non-fiction as a child - things on science, fossils, paleontology and mythology.
I was a bit of a geeky child. Hehe.

Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

This topic had me digging through the depths of my over packed bookcase to find my old favourites. When I was little I loved the Milly Molly Mandy stories, Black Beauty, The Hobit, and Jane Eyre especially. I read a lot when I was little, so it's nice to reminisce about the books I used to adore.

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Mr. Men and Little Miss books! And also the Faraway Tree.

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ me and my bro had the whole collection in french :P

TOAST BUSTERS!

i ain't afraid of no toast ;)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

We had the whole collection too! In the little bus box?

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ maybe, but if we did we lost it cos i don't remember one :/

TOAST BUSTERS!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh...it was a very cool box. All cardboardy and buslike.

Damned time thingimy.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^You had the whole bus?

That makes me so much more jealsous than it should.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Graham Oakley
Mike Wilks
Enid Blyton
Yoko Ono's burn book kept me busy fir hours too.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I adored the Princess Diaries series when I was maybe nine, even though I didn't understand half of what went on in them. XD

As a really little child, like a toddler, I liked Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Hell, I loved that book. And Lily's Purple Plastic Purse and the Olivia the Pig books. I still have them somewhere, actually.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Princess Diaries was so good!

There was a series of books about a boy called Alfie, I really liked them when I was little. I remember one where Alfie accidentally locked himself inside the house or something.

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I loved The Princess Diaries, and The Mediator series, by the same author.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

i love hairy mclary i cant remember whcih one but it had an evil cat! the mousehole cat was awesome!! both the pop up and normal books of the nightmare before christmas, but i didnt like the film.
of course the hungry caterpallar! p.b bear books
a book about a little girl who put a snowball in her pocket. one about a little girl picking bluenerries then she gets lost and is following a bears mum and the other way round. a pop up alice on wonderland book. all the narnia book, little house onthe prairie, dr suess books, ive been obsessive about the harry potter books from about the age of 7 until the present :)

-- Edited by Florie on Sunday 6th of February 2011 07:49:06 AM

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

black beauty, although i remember weeping for days over ginger dying. loved the narnia books and still have a soft spot for the very hungry catterpillar.

'there's always light at the end of the tunnel, just sometimes it's a train'

Honoured Mook

Date:

lady carfax wrote:

black beauty, although i remember weeping for days over ginger dying.

tell me about it. i had it in 3 languages, and more than one version for each language.

TOAST BUSTERS!

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I used to read Enid Blyton constantly, collecting dog eared copies of her books from charity shops and book swap sites so I ended up with the more obscure stories like 'The Very Peculiar Cow'. A lot of them had yellow pages and hand-written notes inside them. In one, somebody tried out different variations on the spelling of 'pasties'; in another some literary genius wrote 'Cor Bob stinks' in pencil. If anything, this made the whole experience more enjoyable.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I was a Harry Potter and Dragon Lance kid. Now I'm just an older Harry Potter and Dragon Lance Kid.

When I was reeaallllyy small, I used to like 'The Critter' series, with books like 'Just got to Bed' and
'Just take a bath'. I haven't seen them around anymore, but then again, I haven't looked. I wonder
if they still make them.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Lady Misery wrote:

I used to read Enid Blyton constantly, collecting dog eared copies of her books from charity shops and book swap sites so I ended up with the more obscure stories like 'The Very Peculiar Cow'. A lot of them had yellow pages and hand-written notes inside them. In one, somebody tried out different variations on the spelling of 'pasties'; in another some literary genius wrote 'Cor Bob stinks' in pencil. If anything, this made the whole experience more enjoyable.

I'd really like to annotate my books with comments and whatnot then giving them to second hand shops or something, but I'm too neat with them and the idea of writing on them makes me feel funny.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I was just thinking about this today!
I know I sort of posted in before, but when I was really little I loved and adored Beatrix Potter.
I still find the idea of little animals in cute victorian clothes adorable, I even try to draw my own.
When I was younger I had a plate and coaster set, then recently my mum got mea mug with Jemima puddle duck on it.
It's kind of rare to find that kind of stuff these days, but I love to collect it.

Ooh la la tumblr,

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a money box with Jemima Puddleduck on it! And we have her full illustrated collection! Nothing beats Peter Rabbit.

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ Yes! I got a video of some of the tales for my birthday once. I remember loving the adventures of Tom kitten and his siblings.

Ooh la la tumblr,

Honoured Mook

Date:

I used to love anything by anybody as long as it was about toads. No idea why to be honest...:L

I miss you all deeply but I'm so busy that I never have the free time to post :(

Honoured Mook

Date:

Meg and Mog.

Honoured Mook

Date:

i remember reading a lot of Beaver Towers in years 2 - 4 then i went on to Harry Potter at some stage in year 4/5 roughly when the first came out. While i was finishing each harry potter book, i got into Philip Pullman. Then Tolkien.

"Wanna do something fun? Wanna go to honeydukes?" "I can't go to honeydukes, i'm on a no sugar diet. GOD HERMIONE YOU'RE SO STUPID!"

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^This just clicked off some more memories lol. Enid Blyton's "Adventure Series" septology [I bought these eventually,still have them],the Mallory Towers school adventure series,Billy Bunter compilations and a lot of those public school serial stories,Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries,and another set of kids' detective series which had some connection with Hitchcock,but I forget the details.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Regular Crew

Date:

I absolutely loved all book by Roald Dahl, especially The Witches and Matilda! I think I've read them 20 times each! And I still read his books from time to time! It's real magic for me!

stylebizarrevivian.gif

Thou shall not fear being different!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I also LOVED Roald Dahl. My favorite book was Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville and I still have my well-worn copy of White Fang. I read lots of encylopedias and old text books. I had lots of Enid Blyton books which I loved.

I actually got an award at primary school for the most books read during school holidays (whoever said they don't give out rewards for reading was wrong!).

My classmates were sometimes intimidated by me because I knew stuff about stuff.

Edit: I cannot believe I forgot Aesop's Fables! There was a copy in the school library which I took out every week.

-- Edited by Arlenmia on Friday 3rd of June 2011 07:02:16 PM

-- Edited by Arlenmia on Friday 3rd of June 2011 07:09:43 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

I cant remember the names of them ...! But if anyone recognises the description please enlighten me!

I remember I loved a book when I was a bout five. It was a bout a Giraffe? I think..that had many different coloured spots..I have a feeling its a Dr Seuss but cant be quite sure..

Another book I loved was about a fox that used to try and steal the chickens eggs..until the chickens learnt to fly and used to divebomb him..have a feeling it was Dick King Smith but cant be sure..

The only one I can remember was Journey to the River Sea by eva ibbotson...that was my favourite as a child as I wasnt a big reader at all till i turned 11 and first read Harry Potter..

Honoured Mook

Date:

Charlie and the chocolate factory. :) Absolute favourite.

-- Edited by evilkelsits on Friday 3rd of June 2011 07:27:51 PM

"I reject your reality and substitute it with one of my own!"- mythbusters

Honoured Mook

Date:

also the secret garden :P and when I was younger the hungry catepillar, and the one about the fish who gives away all his shiny scales to make friends.

-- Edited by evilkelsits on Friday 3rd of June 2011 07:31:26 PM

"I reject your reality and substitute it with one of my own!"- mythbusters

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us