Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What books did you like as a child?

Mookface (mod)

Date:
RE: What books did you like as a child?

When I was tiny:
Funny Bones
The Magic Key
The Tiger Who Came To Tea
Meg and Mog
The Patchwork Cat
The Very Hungry Caterpillar

When I was a little older:
The Famous Five
The Secret Seven
The Hobbit, when I was six
Lord of the Rings, when I was seven
Then basically anything by Jacqueline Wilson.

After that I discovered Pratchett and Poe, and it's been downhill ever since ;)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Harry Potter
Ella Enchanted
Walk Two Moons
Charlotte's Web
Fairy tales (Hans & Grimm)
The Little Match Girl
Little House on the Prairie
Dr. Seuss
Holes
The Diary of Anne Frank
Aesop's Fables
The Jungle Book
The tale of Petter Rabbit
*I can't remember the rest*

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Regular Crew

Date:

I read a whole lot of Enid Blyton, the Famous Five, the Secret Seven, Malory Towers, another like Malory Towers I can't remember what its called. Then I read Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, The Babysitters Club, Mathilda, Harriet the Spy and anything else I could get my hands on! Oh and the first few Harry Potter books, then I went off them until my teens.

-- Edited by KatyBob on Saturday 10th of April 2010 06:20:46 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy set
John Christopher's "Tripods" quadrilogy,and "The Guardians"
Peter Dickinson's "Changes" trilogy
Monica Hughes's "The Tomorrow City"

A set called the "Isis Trilogy" by an author I forget,lots of stuff already mentioned,and all sorts of sci-fi type stuff. One story I'd love to read again was called "The Pen and the Penumbra" which I ran across in some SF compilation but can't find anywhere. Also the novelizations of "V" and the "Aliens" movies.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

The Miffy series- I still have them in my room. And anything by Enid Blyton, although I often had problems with them. I didn't like how she had people hitting their dogs, or how righteous some of the characters were (although back them I didn't know what that meant).

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Each Peach Pear Plum =) And Percy The Park Keeper

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

OH MY GOD percy the park keeper was amazing. That EPIC TREEHOUSE at the end of one of the books. I WANTED IT.

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Regular Crew

Date:

my favourite story would of been goldy locks and the three bears coz i used to ask my dad to read that as my bedtime story all the time and i never got bored of it lol i still have my old books somewhere i think

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Little Darlings.

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

My favourite book was Fat Puss by Harriet Castor. It was about this massive cat who was so much cooler than all the skinny cats because he could roll down hills and float on water.

~doxy

Honoured Mook

Date:

The Sophie books by Dick King-Smith (I think!) - about a feisty young animal-loving tomboy. The one childs' story-book heroin I could identify with at the time.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I used to read the Animal Ark books. A lot. I never could get the full collection though.

And Jacqueline Wilson was practically my goddess for a while. Yes, I know all her books are practically the same, but I still worshipped them.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Regular Crew

Date:

Well, when I was rather young, I was wayy into the Baby Sitters Club! HaHa! I did alot of baby sitting in my small, country town. And I would lose myself in these books.

The Poisionwood Bible by Barbara Kingslove, it's a story of an American family, headed by a preacher that goes to Africa for a mission. The detail of the living adjustment and what they endure is amazing.

Any book by Tim O'Brien, he writes stories of soliders in varying places in their life. While overseas at war, when they get home, trying to draft dodge. Great tales and descriptions.

Honoured Mook

Date:

- Alice in Wonderland
- Sarah's Unicorn
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Rowan of Rin
- The Hobbit
- The Lord of the Rings
- Harry Potter
- Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest
- Inkheart
- Redwall
- Peter Pan
- Narnia (although I try to block the last book from my memory)
-The Black Arrow

I lived in the library as a child.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. - John Lennon

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Inkheart was one of my favourite books. I quite liked the sequel too, but the third one ruined it completely.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I grew up on a very nutritious diet of Grimm's fairytales :)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

As did I! I had a blue book full of them with the most beautiful illustrations! Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced it :(

Honoured Mook

Date:

Oh isn't that horrible... when you start reminiscing about some childhood object, go to reclaim it and it is gone! :(

Regular Crew

Date:

we're going on a bear hunt, we're gonna catch a big one, we're not scared

OH NO-...

etc

loved that book, read it 24/7

and of course the very hungry caterpillar, of course i still read these now, i can't grow up, i'm like peter pan :)

What is mankind anyway? We are a collective of experiances and feelings, only pretending to walk as individuals, What can we think to know about the mysteries of the universe when we have not even been able to fathom the mysteries of our own souls.

Facebook, Tumblr :D

Honoured Mook

Date:

I started reading at a very young age.
I remember when The Tale of Tom Kitten was my favorite. All those books by Beatrix Potter. (:
Though I read Alice In Wonderland books and Grimm's fairytales a lot.

-- Edited by SaraSunshine on Tuesday 7th of December 2010 02:52:54 AM

Lights Fires in the Genitals of Mooks Everywhere.

Tumblr

Facebook

Honoured Mook

Date:

I loved the golden books, nursery rhyme books & Beatrix Potter.
Black beauty...um Lots of fairy books ( I loved the illustrations. Some of the artwork is really amazing)
I don't remember the title but I remember this book about a girl with wild hair and no matter what the hair stylists used they couldn't cut it, it kept breaking the tools. Then she screamed and destroyed the place. She also ate plates and scared elephants.
I used to love that book...

-- Edited by Doll-face on Friday 10th of December 2010 01:42:07 PM

Ooh la la tumblr,

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Most of Jacqueline Wilson's books.
And when I was even younger, some books about a mischevious dinosaur called Dilly.
I can't remember what else...

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

My uncle used to be a great fan of Rupert, so when I was born he passed all his books and annuals down to me.

I LOVED Rupert. I learned to knit, and I made myself a yellow scarf. I used to dress like him, because someone bought me a pair of yellow jeans and I had a red jumper.

I completely forgot about Rupert until yesterday, when my mother gave all the Rupert books back to my uncle, because his father-in-law is a collector. I got a bit misty-eyed parting with them.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Honoured Mook

Date:

I can't even remember what I read before I was 10. Cause I basically read everything I could get my hands on. We had a rule that I wasn't allowed to read when I was downstairs. Since all I would do was sit and read.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

One of those annuals might be worth a lot of money; they misprinted one and got Rupert brown on the cover,not white. Only a few survived,but those that did are worth hundreds,maybe a thousand or more to the right people.

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Baby Mook

Date:

does anybody remember Flat Stanley?

I was Obsessed with it when i was wee.
Imgine being able to fold yourself into a envelope and going anywhere!

the darker side of me always thought about all the shops i would be able to slip into at night and rob..
bad fefe!

Regular Crew

Date:

I used to love "The Ghosts" by Antonia Barber when I was little. I remember it being in the school library, and I could barely put it down after I first found it. I was also a fan of the Discworld books after my Dad introduced me to them, and Anne McCaffrey's books (although I spent far more time trying to draw the dragons on the front covers than I did actually reading them). I think my favourite was "Starchild and Witchfire" by David Henshall, though. Again, it featured dragons, which was a big draw for me, and the story was just brilliant. I still read it from time to time, and it's just as great as it was when I was little. :) (The ending is ridiculously cheesy, but I think that just adds to its charm. :P)

Honoured Mook

Date:

I loved the famous five books xD
and Swallows and Amazons made me obsessed with pirates for quite a while...
and when I was really little, the Very Hungry Caterpillar xD (I still have that on my shelf I think xD)

and loads more which I can't seem to remember D:

....I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

Honoured Mook

Date:

RoxxyRiotT wrote:

I loved the famous five books xD

hell.... yes... xD

i used to read Heartland books *shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame*

and Dr. Seuss :D

TOAST BUSTERS!

i ain't afraid of no toast ;)

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ Omg yes Dr. Seuss xD

....I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us