Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What books did you like as a child?

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: What books did you like as a child?

My favourites were
Goosebumps
The Babysitters Club
Deltora Quest series
Narnia
and i loved Ella Enchanted, hated the movie though, they just completely changed it.

-- Edited by Yuki at 03:30, 2008-10-25

Regular Crew

Date:

The Hungry Caterpillar
Can't you sleep, Little Bear?
We're going on a bear hunt
The Magic Key (which is the Biff and Kipper books)

-- Edited by talieho at 23:12, 2008-11-07

"We mortals are but shadows and dust"

Egotistically named blog

Creative Shenanigans

Shameless Twitter Link

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

stalkerhaven wrote:

As a wee 'un, I was absolutely obsessed with the Narnian books. I must have spent years of my life reading and re-reading them and then making up new scenarios for the characters in my head and imagining I was certain characters and....OK, mebbe I really WAS obsessed...now Im kind of scared! Cant wait to see the film though, I may cry ;) Any other Narnia-obsessed mookies out there?

Yes I am but I have not read them for years:( have you read the book that came out before the lion the witch and the wodrob? not many have :(

The universe is like one be old book. Full of chapters. Humans are but a "page"

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

babysitters club. LOVED them.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Henny Penny- 

the chicken thinks the sky is falling

3 Billy Goats gruff-

3 goats try to outsmart a troll who lives under a bridge in order to get to the other side where the grass is greener and sweeter, when in fact it is not

The Earl Kings Daughter- 

about a daughter of an underworld king who riots the streets at night on her motorcycle. She has a green face and long black hair

Fairytales

a Massive yellow book with all the fairytales to ever exist in it

Peace at last

A pappa bear can't get to sleep so he goes all over the house to get rest, and finally falls asleep in his car

To have more will than fear is to be a super hero.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I really loved Fantasy stories and stories with beautiful princesses and strange folk.Got particularily attracted to elven folk and witches.I never liked to read much just liked to imagine and play out my imaginings.

-- Edited by Ariel at 06:09, 2008-12-01

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Well, I ALWAYS used to read Roald Dahl stories and Dr Seuss! I wonder if they're lurking in my attic somewhere...?

I always wanted to read the Alice in Wonderland books, but so far I've only read the first one.

"I'd love to stay here and be normal
But then it's just so overrated."

Honoured Mook

Date:

haha, Rhode Dahl was amazing. There were allways such messed up creepy things in his books. I used the love "The Witches", and then I ended up thinking all adult women were witches. But yeah... that and "Matilda" were probably my favorites.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I loved everything Enid Blyton I could get my hands on--Famous Five, Secret Seven, The Magic Faraway Tree, the Wishing Chair, etc! Blyton is a legend!

Also liked:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar (one of the best kids' books ever)
The Giant Jam Sandwich (every child's dream!)
A book about a sick cow (don't remember the title)
The Nancy Drew series
Miz Wizz books (seriously awesome)
The Mr. Men books
I Want To See The Moon
Bel Mooney's 'Kitty' books

There are probably a load more I've forgotten--but still have, hidden away in boxes!

Honoured Mook

Date:

stalkerhaven wrote:

As a wee 'un, I was absolutely obsessed with the Narnian books. I must have spent years of my life reading and re-reading them and then making up new scenarios for the characters in my head and imagining I was certain characters and....OK, mebbe I really WAS obsessed...now Im kind of scared! Cant wait to see the film though, I may cry ;) Any other Narnia-obsessed mookies out there?

Does anyone else remember the (I think) BBC production of Narnia that featured drawn special effects and looked a little like a school play?
I always loved the Tolkein as a kid. I got read the Hobbit at age five, which spurred me onto LOTR at seven. Oh, and of course, the Sophie books.

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks

Honoured Mook

Date:

Did anyone ever finish the narnia series?
It has the most depressing ending to a childrens book ever.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I was obsessed with Mr. Wolf's Pancakes. I had to read it every night before bed or I couldn't sleep. This carried on for about three years, then I think I realised that there was something wrong with me and read The Famous Five instead.

I am a socialite, an artist, a poet.

Lady Moustache of Mooky

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I acutally didn't read books by choice when I was younger. It was always the ones pciked by schools, but I did a set of Nancy Drew books and loved them.

The Harlequin Horrors are here!

Regular Crew

Date:

i liked the pit and the pendulum by e.a.p.
and the ivy.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

talieho wrote:

The Hungry Caterpillar
Can't you sleep, Little Bear?
We're going on a bear hunt
The Magic Key (which is the Biff and Kipper books)

Exactly...the best books ever!

"Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise."

"You can be insane and still be a good person." - EA

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I used to love on book (although it terrified me lol)
It was about a princess who was told never to go into the forest. So one day she did and she met this handsom scottish knight and then she was swept away into dancing with fairies but he saved her. Then she spend years pining for him before escaping, tricking the faury queen and rescuing her knight. Loved it!

When I was really really little I loved Sheep in a Jeep. I can still remember: Sheep in a jeep on a hill thats steep. Uh oh the jeep won't go. Sheep leap to push the jeep... lol

Honoured Mook

Date:

drama hippie wrote:

Did anyone ever finish the narnia series?
It has the most depressing ending to a childrens book ever.

Yes, I finished it. What was with that ending?
Spoiler

I loved those books though. I was in a play of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe once. I was Lucy. 

I also used to read a lot of Enid Blyton. Famous Five, Secret Seven, Malory Towers, The Magic Faraway Tree...the lot! I was also a big Roald Dahl fan.  

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." Rebecca West

Come and stalk me on my blog, or on Twitter

Honoured Mook

Date:

Jacqueline Wilson
Meg Cabot

I pretty much didn't stray from those authors :P

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Winnie the Pooh and the House at Pooh Corner was the first "real" book I've ever read. I still love it, tiddly-pom.

I also loved Pippi Longstocking, all Roald Dahl books and The Hobbit. And Can't you sleep, Little Bear?

Good old times. :)

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Lush Guru

Date:

^^The tiddly-pom made me smile :)

My mum brought home a load of books from my childhood at the end of term because she's not going to be a classroom teacher next year. It was amazing! I went through them all and forgot so many gorgeous books.
Does anyone remember funnbones books? They were a skeleton dad, son and dog and they had adventures.

And the blue balloon. Our version is missing most of the fold out balloon though...we destroyed books that we loved by reading them too much.

Baby Mook

Date:

Amelia Bedila
The Babysitters Club
The Outsiders
Fudge
The Mouse and the Motorcycle
Where The Wild Things Are

Honoured Mook

Date:

Basically anything by Roald Dahl, Anne Fine or Paul Jennings. I also loved the Malory Towers books, though I only ever read the first three.

There was also this book series called Stacy and Friends that I really loved, and I had all 18 books. Does anyone remember it at all? I think they're out of print nowadays though :(

Honoured Mook

Date:

Darahgna wrote:

Jacqueline Wilson
Meg Cabot

I pretty much didn't stray from those authors :P

Thank God somebody else said Jaqueline Wilson or I was going to feel really stupid and unintellectual.
But yeah I really loved them and probs would read them again however bad it sounds.

I always love 'The Illustrated Mum' the best out of all the books. I thought Dolphin was really cool and I liked the mum. It only struck me the other day that she was bi-polar as I'd never really picked up on it as a child.

I loved girls in love as well.

Read the famous five when I was quite a bit younger.

Omg - I remember loving 'The dolphin diaries'. Forgot about that, it brings back memories.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I loved Jacqueline Wilson! I still read through her books occassionally, for old time's sake.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yay, I'm happy now cos I have to admit I still do love some of her books. In year 7 and 8 I read Girls In Love countless amounts of times. I'm sad I'm like 2 years older the characters now I always really loved them :) They made me happy and I can relate to all of them tbh.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I loved Girls In Love! And the TV show (it's on youtube...the girl who plays Ellie is actually gorgeous.) And Tracy Beaker, and The Suitcase Kid when my parents got divorced...
When I was really little I liked "I Love You, Blue Kangaroo." It's terribly sad, I used to cry.

Facebook: Personal | Public

ModelMayhem

Tumblr

Regular Crew

Date:

I loved Roald Dahl. I borrowed an anthology of his stories from our school library when I was six, and kept them hostage, on and off again, for about four years. My librarian would make me return it every month, just for a week, and if nobody else borrowed it, they were mine for another month.

I also liked the Ramona books by Beverley Cleary (I think that's her name).

Oh, and this fabulous big encyclopedia type thing called 'The Great Big Book Of Knowledge' that my parents gave me for Christmas when I was five. I read it so much that most of the pages have all fallen out now. But I refuse to throw it out.

Regular Crew

Date:

C.S. Lewis and George Orwell

...No joke, I was 9 when I first read Orwell and that as because I came across an extract of 1984 in a mock exam, liked it and decided to get the book.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

As a kid, I adored Alice in Wonderland. To be honest, I love it even more now!

Life Support     So many pins I always prick my finger

The Alien in the North!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Most Roald Dahl books.
The famous five books.
The grey dancer by Alison Fell
Are you there god? It's me Margaret by Judy Blume

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us