Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: What books did you like as a child?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
What books did you like as a child?

I liked Harriet the Spy, Ronia the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren and The Ordinary Princess by MMKaye.

They were all about very ordinary girls making good. OK, the robber's daughter wasn't ordinary she kicked ass but even so

I also once read this kid's book I LOVED and no-one's ever heard of it, some children go to stay with some member of their family in an English mansion in the country and I think they find a chess set that becomes real or takes them through to medieval times in some way... does this ring a bell with anyone?

MookyDuchess

Date:

Sorry, no bells being rung by that book, but I want to read it now.

I read, re-read and re-re-read the Famous Five books when I was young. I even tried drinking Ginger Beer, but it tasted like washing up liquid.

See my pictures at this site.

Regular Crew

Date:

As a wee 'un, I was absolutely obsessed with the Narnian books. I must have spent years of my life reading and re-reading them and then making up new scenarios for the characters in my head and imagining I was certain characters and....OK, mebbe I really WAS obsessed...now Im kind of scared! Cant wait to see the film though, I may cry ;) Any other Narnia-obsessed mookies out there?

MookyDuchess

Date:

I have fond memories of the cartoon, but little of the books, unfortunately. I cried when Aslan died.

Mind you, strange thing is, now in m y mind I seem to confuse the Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe cartoon with the Yellow Submarine one. Something to do with the blue meanies, I reckon...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I saw the Narnia film, I liked it, very war-time feel, but Aslan should have been made a really big lion and I don't think Mister Tumnus the fawn should have held little Lucy's hand at the end - he might be a fawn but he still looks like a half-naked man :(

A friend said the film felt more like a world made up by a child than a fully-realised world, i thought that was kind of a compliment

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Maus.

A Clockwork Orange.

Baby Sitters Club.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

Yes, Maus is amazing! Every small child should read it!

I loved Clockwork Orange and I still think the changed ending in the film pisses me off... I can never decide...

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

MookyDuchess

Date:

I saw a documentary about Clockwork Orange that pointed out that they didn't change the ending of the film. The American edition of the book, which Kubrick was working from, didn't have the last chapter. I was quite pleased to find that out, when I re-read the book a few years back, I'd got an American copy, without that last chapter and for a very long time wasn't sure if I'd imagined the final chapter or not...

Regular Crew

Date:

I loved The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, but got a bit bored with The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Prince Caspian - I think it got a bit too wordy for a ten-year old.

One of my all time faves is Stig of the Dump. Its about a Stonehenge neanderthal boy who finds his way to living in a 1960s dump and has loads of adventures with a modern boy, both of them skipping across time zones in the process.

I also loved all the books by Alan Garner - all very magical. I'd kept loads of these books for my nephews and neice and finally handed them over just before xmas, only to find that my sister won't allow them into her house as my place has dry rot and the books might be infected with demon spores!

MookyDuchess

Date:

I remember the first television adaption of Stig of the Dump, which starred the kid out of Murphy's Mob.
Just thought I'd mention it.

Regular Crew

Date:

As a child I liked the Prydain Chronicles books by Lloyd Alexander. I think the author's American, but they are the stories of Taran, a pig-keeper-turned warrior in a fantasy version of pagan Wales, the imaginary land of Prydain. It's a bit Lord of the Rings, with one big difference- there is a cool girl character. Eilonwy, a sparky, spunky princess with flowing red hair. The best one in the series is The Black Cauldron.

Regular Crew

Date:

as a kid my favourite book was 'the phantom tollbooth' by norman juster

or red sonja comics bought from market

or misty comic

Regular Crew

Date:

wow-the black cauldron,i remember that or at least remember it now you've mentioned it helen

Regular Crew

Date:

i'm old-fashioned. i'd go with....roald dahl! i still like the witches, matilda, the twits etc etc.

Regular Crew

Date:

i used to read meg and mog when i was about 5-7yrs it rocked and it wtill does!
http://www.ladybird.co.uk/favouriteCharacters/images/megAndMog/MegMogOwl.gif

yeh the lion the witch and the wardrobe is good, i went to see the play with my primary school which was really good and then i decided to read the book.                                                 

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Regular Crew

Date:

steviel wrote:

as a kid my favourite book was 'the phantom tollbooth' by norman juster

or red sonja comics bought from market

or misty comic

yeh i teacher read that to use in primary school, i remember it was a good book, but i thought the idea of the book was really random

Regular Crew

Date:

Ronia the Robber's Daughter

And anything else by Astrid Lindgren.

The Little House On The Prairie. I still read them. And I'm proud of it :)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Emily Rodda and Robin Klein books, Harry Potter, anything fantasy, and a charming paperback called "The Slime Book". And Harry Potter. There was probably an awful lot more, but Harry Potter sort of crowds most of it out. How about the Rowan of Rin books, anyone els eread them? Teen Power Inc.? And something else about bunyips and witches, and many, many about fairies and goblins and the like..

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Stig of The dump
Charlottes Web
Swallow And Amazons
The Chronicles of Narnia
Anne Of Green Gables
Winnie The Pooh
The Jungle book
To kill a Mockingbird
Cider With Rosie

Honoured Mook

Date:

I fell out of love with Stig of the Dump after my teacher made me reread it five times because she couldn't beleive I was reading it so quick (sort of fell out with my teacher when we moved south).

Up to the age of 16 I read almost exclusively SF, mostly from the classic Space Opera era (Heinlein, Asimov, Van Vogt, Leinster, Bester), plus the better modern stuff (Banks, Carroll), and also Horror, basically gothic stuff (Collins, James, Le Fanu, Meryink, Sue). Also I remember seeing Camilla on TV (a BBC costume drama) and buying the book (recommneded reading for anyone with a spare month to kill)

Regular Crew

Date:

Secret Seven & Famous Five..
Roald Dahl books as well. Theres still about 8 sat on my bookshelf!

Did anyone read the magic key books with Biff and Chip as a nipper in school? They were awesome...!

Honoured Mook

Date:

you girls have reminded me of loads! lol
Harriet the spy
babysitters club books
narnia books
sweet valley high
roald dahl

yes I've always been a reader :)

Check out my show:

http://www.mixcloud.com/PigtailsAndArmyBoots

and my blog

http://djmoonlightmusic.blogspot.com

Honoured Mook

Date:

I still have the Roald Dahl books somewhere, wonderful

Baby Mook

Date:

I hated to read when i was young, but i alwayz have love Dr. suess. Still read them from time to time!! But now i love to read!!! crazy how that turned out

Honoured Mook

Date:

I had Cat in a Hat by Dr Seuss, but wish I knew where it was now.

Interesting isn't it that reading is considered a 'good' pastime nowadays (although there was a time when being a bookworm was considered 'intellectual' and socially suicidal), yet using the internet is considered 'bad' because it leads to a dearth of social skills. When you think about it, being a bookworm definately is lacking in social development, but being here offers the ability to communicate (even if in a modern, non physical way)

Honoured Mook

Date:

chocolate_teapot wrote:

Did anyone read the magic key books with Biff and Chip as a nipper in school? They were awesome...!

[spoiler]BIFF AND CHIPPER PWN YOUR SOUL![spoiler]Sorry, quite excited that someone else remembers them!

Well, I'm only 16 now, so it's not too big a leap of memory for me! Famouis five and Secret seven, deffo, and the magic faraway tree. Roald Dahl - Boy and Going solo, The witches, charlie and the great glass elevator, george's marvellous medicine, peter pan scared me slightly, but I don't believe there's a kid in the english speaking world who doesn't know how to get to Neverland! Anyone remember Vlad the Drac? Great books! Alfie and Annie Rose as well, and a book called the Sheep Chase, which was from a charity shop (we couldn't really afford new books, but my mum would come back with great piles of second hand and hand me downs. I was an NCT sale kid!) My yr 3 teacher fostered a great love of Michael Rosen in me, and my yr 6 teacher would still read to us, a book where he did lots of voices, but I can't remember what it was called. He'd been reading it to his classes for so long that he almost knew it off by heart! M

Eva Ibbotson, The Adventure series of books, my naughty little sister, DR Seuss and sooooo many others, but they're all just a hazy memory of comfort, warmth and the occaisional scare now! I guess I was really lucky that I was raised around books and even now by books sheves groan with the weight of 400+ tomes, and that's just an extension of the piles on the floor and under my bed, where the old picture books lurk, safe away, perhaps waiting to be read again in x number of years to my own chiddlers. I also love reading aloud when I baby sit - possibly more than the girls like being read to, but they humour me while I'm being Spot the Dog's owner or a princess or the rat from Ratatouille!

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

As a child I loved the redwall stories( there about mice who live in an abbey but are always fighting the 'nasty' animals like foxes and stoats.). But as a very young child I was hooked on 'The Very Hungary Catapillar'.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Everything by Enid Blyton
A Little Princess (one of my all-time favourite books) and
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Everything by Roald Dahl
The Babysitters Club books
Those animal books.. oh what were they called.. they had names like the Goat in The Garden or the Fox in the Field.. things like that! All of them!
A lot more.. I spent all my childhood reading really.

Lush Guru

Date:

Aww I loved those animal books! ANIMAL ARK!!

I was severely enamoured with Animals of Farthing Wood (and everything to do with them).

The Mousehole Cat is an absolutely BRILLIANT book. Beautiful illustrations as well.

Ruby, it was about a bear who was in the seconds/reject bin in the factory but she decided the S (for second) stamped on her hand actually meant "Special" and she organised a breakout and got herself into a posh toyshop and bought by a girl named Suzy and her Grandad and she sees Suzy's S necklace and thinks that it stands for "special" as well. It's such a bloomin' lovely book.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There.

I am currently writing an essay on the perception and representation of self in the Alice books and my childhood is being systematically ruined.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us