Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: travel inquiries.

Regular Crew

Date:
travel inquiries.

i'm wanting to travel from Australia to either Jamaica or Greece. i was wondering if anyone had been there and could possibly give me any ideas what essentials i will need, and the roundabout cost of going their and staying in youth-hostels etc. also should i travel alone or go in a group? first time travelling by myself so kind off need a bit of advice. thanks peoples :) xx

Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are.
Quentin Crisp

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm pretty sure Jamaica is quite a dangerous place if you don't stick to the hotel resorts.

Greece - I've never been but I've heard it's nice...although they're currently going bankrupt (or on the brink of it) so I don't know if that's having an impact.

Regular Crew

Date:

ok thankyou :)

Quentin Crisp

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I've never been, but Jamaica is supposed to be dangerous as hell. Customs are an absolute nightmare according to my art teacher, they will turn out all your knickers in public if they even suspect you have drugs. If you are young, they suspect you will have drugs. Their legal system is also a bit awkward when it comes to tourists. I've heard about people being arrested and searched, even having their hair cut off without actually having done anything. That's the police, never mind the people. It's probably a lovely place, but if you're trying to keep it simple and lost cost and are going alone I really wouldn't try Jamaica as your first trip.

Greece, again, I have never been to but it's a bit politically unstable due to the economy. You'll be hard pressed to find an affluent country to visit right now, but Greece can wait until it's settled a bit.

What exactly are you hoping to get from traveling? Culture, experience, practicing languages ect? We could suggest a few other places if you like.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Regular Crew

Date:

i want to broaden my horizens, learn more about history, perhaps language as well, and also just get out and see the world. i wanna take my friend jimmy with me too.

Quentin Crisp

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Europe in general is pretty good for history -
Prague is gorgeous (just avoid the stag/hen parties)
Germany
Italy is lovely - Rome is amazing
Bratislava in Slovakia is awesome (and extremely cheap). The old part of the city is very pretty.

Regular Crew

Date:

ohk thankyou :) xx

Quentin Crisp

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I can't recommend Germany enough. I've only been to Berlin mind you, but I plan on going to different parts as soon as I have money.

I've been to Berlin three times in total and I am heading back on March 17th. From my experience the city has something for everybody. It's packed full of history, museums and culture. It's full of beautiful green spaces for walks and hanging around. It's fabulous for all kinds of shopping- high street shops like h&m, kitschy boutiques everywhere, little souvenir shops etc. The nightlife is amazing as well. In Ireland we usually head out around 10pm and by 2am everywhere is closing so you can be expect to be home in your bed and all by 3am, but that's the time things are just starting to kick off over there! So that was a big deal for me when I was over there.

MOST people do speak English in varying degrees of fluency, but from experience they seem to like if you make a little effort with them in their language. Learn the basics- buy a little German phrase book to take around with you and you should be fine to get by on that.

Anyway, happy travels! :)

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

From what you describe, my first thought is South Africa in general and Cape Town in particular. BUT it isn't the safest place in the world, so I don't think you should go there until you are a bit older and more travel-experienced.

I would recommend Great Britain. It's very nice and small with loads of stuff crammed in, there is always a train, shopping is excellent, beverages even better and most people speak an understandable dialect of English. Also, people are generally extremely helpful and polite, except for the few that are probably the rudest in the world.

For a first time traveller, I think Great Britain is the best destination. There are lots to see and experience, yet it is probably the easiest place to travel in and it is quite safe. Also, it isn't totally overrun with tourists compared to a few other destinations.

Once you've gone about in Britain for awhile and gotten used to travelling, you might want to go see Europe? Berlin is really nice and friendly, my first trip abroad without parents went there. I also really like Brussels, particularly because it's a place tourists don't go to, but you have a huge ex-pat community. Europe condensed :) Not to mention that they got Belgian Beer and Belgian chocolates in abundance....

Another option is perhaps Japan? Haven't been there myself though.

Personally, if I were living in Australia my top destination would probably be to do a LOTR trek in New Zealand :D

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us