Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Dublin/Ireland

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Dublin/Ireland

So in the summer I'm planning on going to Dublin for a week with Sykes, so, to keep this short and sweet, has anybody been? Are there any places (anything, hotels, bars, museums, parks, seriously, anything) that you could recommend for us to go to? Any advice for when we're there?

And also, I put /Ireland in the title because it doesn't have to be exclusively Dublin, we're going to be there a week so it'd be nice to have a couple of days somewhere else.

Thanks guys!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I've always wanted to go to Ireland and I might finally be going to Dublin in June if I can scrape the pennies together. If that's before you go I can let you know how it is if you like. (:

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm going to Dublin at the end of March.

The Guinness Factory. The Zoo. I don't know anything else yet but I'll report back if I'm back before you go.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Yes, definitely pay the Guinness storehouse a visit. You used to be able to get perspex pebbles with a drop of Guinness in them which was pretty cool :p visit the zoo too- even in dull weather it's still a nice place to go to!

If you go to the zoo make sure to have a big wander about the Phoenix park. It's a beautiful, open space with lots of nice walks and some nice sights to take in. Visit the Ashtown castle. It's basically a small castle surrounded by some nice gardens. I'm not sure if they admit visitors to it, but even still there is a nice cafe beside it where you could grab a cuppa and a bite to eat. Get a glance at where the president lives too, and go and have a look at the Papal cross, even for the fact that you can usually spot dear frolicking around nearby. I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about the Phoenix park even though it's a 15 minute walk from my house -.- try get a map or print out a guide to it!

City centre wise... The Natural History museum is DEFINITELY worth a visit. Pop into Trinity on your way to it and have a gawk at the Dail. In fact the Natural History Museum is right beside the Dail... well technically it's at the back of it, but they're close together! If you're on that side of the city you'll be near to Temple Bar. It's worth having a mooch around there just to take in the atmosphere etc. There are some nice restaurants and little kitschy boutiques as well. If you're heading to Temple Bar you will also see the wee Occupy movement set up at the central bank. You will also see the city's alternative young folk hanging around there and the rest of Temple Bar.

Pub wise... There are a whole load of touristy pubs in Temple Bar that play traditional music etc if that's what you're into. But let me have a think and I'll get back to you pub-wise. Would you be looking for alternative sort of places to go or are you open-minded? And hotel wise, do you want to be near the city centre or in it?

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

(sorry for the late reply!)

I'm pretty open-minded to be honest, so just any places that you think are good will do. :)
As for accommodation, it would have to be in or very near, because neither of us drive so we're going to have to walk/rely on public transport.

Edit: Thanks for what you've said so far!

-- Edited by Redshoes on Thursday 1st of March 2012 04:54:57 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Sorry for not replying for ages my dear! I'm sorry, I'll be honest, I just forgot haha.

ANYWAY... If I were you and heading to Dublin for the first time I would probably stay in Temple Bar. There are a few hotels there, though because they're so central they may be expensive. I can think of three off the top of my head but there is probably more. Google the Maldron as well, that's just off Dorset street. Kind of on the edge of town but so many buses stop near it and they all go into town.

Public transport... Buses are alright. Generally they're on time. A lot of bus stops have little displays above them now that display real-time info. Buy a rambler ticket in the newsagents, it will work out cheaper than paying individual fares. The luas (trams) are quite good, always on time. As far as I know you can buy a bus and luas ticket combined if that works better for you. Trains are good and on time too. If you get a nice day get the DART out to Howth or Bray from Connolly station and bring a picnic with you!

Pubs... Loads of pubs around Temple Bar. Loads play trad music and have a nice touristy buzz. Gogarty's, the Vat house, The Temple Bar and the Foggy Dew are a couple with that vibe. Rock bars... not a great selection. On the quays there is a pub called the Gypsy Rose. It's an alright small enough spot. On the other side of the city there's a place called Fibbers. It's a bit of a shithole if I'm honest haha, but on Thursday night its a fiver in with 3 euro drinks for the whole night, plus they open a bit later than everywhere else. There is a nice pub on Georges street called the Speak Easy- I think nowadays it's called Shebeen Chic or something. Giggy kind of place with a nice atmosphere. Think you can get pizza and other food there too. Further up George's street you'll come onto Wexford street and there are a few pubs there too. Whelan's is another giggy place but it tends to attract a lot of hipsters.

Hmmm... there is more I want to say but I just can't think of it right now! :P

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh wow thank you! Don't worry about taking a few days. This is seriously a lot of stuff, thank you sooo much!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

No problem! :) It's a bit scattered because I'm just writing the first things that pop into my head but I hope some of it helps! xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

Loooove Dublin! Definitely pay a visit to Trinity, the Old Library is pretty much the best place to go if you're into books, even if it's just for that wonderful old book smell. It's pretty expensive in (around 9 euro) but Trinity students get to take in guests for free and they're usually hanging around the arts block anyways so you could try and see if you can get one of them to take you in for cheap/free :)

I've never really liked temple bar, I would only go to Porterhouse in that area. It's a great pub with a nice mix of tourists, locals and Irish visiting Dublin. Great amount of different beers & their own brewery. Live music every night too! (although not 'traditional' Irish music). If you're into music: there's a great musical pub crawl every night, which takes you around a few different pubs, tells about irish music and how it developed and loads more. really interesting!

When it comes to pubs: I love Doyle's probably more than anything, it's just next to Trinity and is a great place to just have a drink (downstairs) or dance to indie/alternative/classic rock upstairs on weekends. Great audience, always have fun nights there!

If you're into drag shows/gay scene and whatnot I'd recommend going to Panti Bar. Regular show used to be on Thursday's, think it still is? free in & AMAZING. The George (Dublin/Ireland's oldest gay bar, is fabulous (in every sense of the way) with statues of naked men and karaoke/bingo drag nights.

The Sugar Club is a great venue with awesome shows and concerts (think burlesque, rocky horror, amanda fucking palmer) so definitely check what they have going on!

Shoppingwise I think mookychicks would enjoy George's Street Arcade, and the surrounding area. There's a great shop with pretty corsets and dresses (and men's clothing too!), an organic eatery, a tights/socks/accesories shop and random little bits here and there. Loads of vintage surrounding it.

I never really went out to eat when I lived there, but Gourmet Burger Kitchen is cheap and delicious (they make a mean veggie burger), Eddie Rocket's is delicious and if you're going for after partying munchies def. try the garlic & cheese fries at supermacs!

As for places to visit:
Kilmainham Gaol (the old jail outside the city centre) is worth the visit.
If you're into nature I would suggest going for a hike in Howth. You can easily reach it by train and then take a hike/walk along the cliffs.
I personally thought the only fun part of the Guinness Storehouse was the Guinness tasting but that may just be me :)

Honoured Mook

Date:

Does anyone have anything specific for Limerick and local area? Additional stuff on Ireland?

Studying abroad at the University of Limerick this spring (2013)!! Full spring semester so will have plenty of traveling time... hoping to make it over to England for a bit as well, spring break or so! Haven't been on Mooky lately but really hoping I can get some good suggestions from everyone ^.^

Baby Mook

Date:

I live in Dublin Go tot he guinness factory definetely ! 90 percent of museums in Dublin are free,such as the national history museum, the national museum of Ireland, the national art museum.... Basically all big museums are free. Museums such as the Wax museum and The leprachaun museum you have to pay for but they are resonably priced and the wax museum is very,very cool !

Temple Bar during the day is very cool,modern and with lots of cool shops such as, 'Fresh', 'Lucy's lounge', all kind of small unqiue wiccan shops and gothic places to go, but at night time it's full of drunk people and heroin addicts and not so pretty anymore. At nightime there are great bars and clubs. Bars are very easy to find and most irish kind of pubs are everywhere. Good clubs are, 'The Lost society', 'Howl at the moon,' 'The Hanger', 'The Button Factory' ,'The Dragon' (A gay bar which I love) etc... Lot's around and easy to find.

For cheap, delicious food DURING the day go to , 'The Food Court' on Upper Abbey Street. It's lots of food stalls all in one big room with lots of food places from around the world. If you want traditional irish meals but for a cheap ,good price, try 'Ann's Bakery'. At night time, there's a lovely restaurant on the liffey on a ship. I forget the name but there's only one so ask around and you should be able to find it. I actually don't go out for meals at night time in Dublin. All the restaurants I know and love are french or italian restaurants so,I wont recommend them because they're not irish. But pubs and restaurants are everywhere so don't fret BUT ! When you come to Ireland you HAVE to eat in, 'Eddie Rockets'. It's a fast food diner that's made up like the 1950's and it's only in Ireland. IT IS SO GORGEOUS ! Pricey but you CANNOT LEAVE IRELAND WITHOUT TRYING IT !

If you want to stay in Dublin cheaply, there's a hostel in Temple Bar called, The Temple Bar hostel (I think), and it looks very classy and very nice. There's also a hostel on Aungier street with a cafe downstairs called, 'Avalon House Hostel'. This has won awards. If you are classy and want to stay in a nice hotel, there's The Morgan hotel in Temple Bar which is soo modern and fancy ! Lady Gaga stayed there I think... I heard. I was in the penthouse and it is gorgeous. There's also the Fitzgerald (or fitzwilliam) hotel JUST at the top of Grafton street (which is as central in Dublin as you can get) which looks sleek and stylish.

You can rent kayaks in Dublin for 15 euro for an hour or 22 euro for 2 people for an hour and kayak on the liffey. IT IS SO FUN ! I love it ! There's also the viking tour ! Of all the city tours,go on this one ! You wear viking hats and scream and shout at people as you go past ! It's a bus shaped like a boat and is the best craic of all the city tours !

I will gladly meet you and show you around Dublin, when you are here ! My name is Ash,

E-mail me : I-AM-A-TOMATOE@hotmail.com

as I don't check this forum too much :DDD

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us