Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Game of Thrones

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
Game of Thrones

Come on, I know some of you must be GoT fans. I will start off by saying I haven't read the books and I haven't even finished series 1 yet, I've still got episodes 9 and 10 to go, so can we be careful about spoilers please?

I'm kind of a closet fantasy nerd so the whole thing really appeals, even though my boyfriend and I have to pause sometimes and recap what's going on. It's crazily intricate. Another thing I love about it is the powerful, smart female characters. They make me smile.

Tell me I'm not alone!

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I'm one of those that started reading it in the nineties, got hooked and looked for updates regularly while the Dance of Dragons (book 5) was delayed for six years. When it finally arrived last summer I read it in three days and everything ended on huge cliffhangers. And now I wait for book 6. I know George Martin ain't my bitch but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

The TV series are very rewarding to watch even if you've read the books, but I really recommend anyone who hasn't started to just wait until the whole series is done and published to save yourself from frustration.

Will be back to comment more on the series with some feminist critizism later :)

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Lush Guru

Date:

AHHHHH I LOVE A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I started GOT accidentally, I was carrying it in my bag for The Captain but found myself without anything to do in a coffee shop for an hour so I started it and was unceremoniously HOOKED. I've read them all but only have a couple of people in my life who've done the same so I can't talk about it anywhere. The tumblr fandom is extreme, but tracking the tag is kind of cool because of all these theories that come about.

I'm so excited for the next book! There have been SO many times where I've gone "...FOR FUCKS SAKE GEORGE" so far though.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

My friends and I do dramatic readings of sex scenes from A Song of Ice and Fire. It's most rewarding.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I'm an ASOIAF fan! I'm still in the middle of A Feast for Crows, however. I preordered the first season of the TV series for my boyfriend (he's the one who got me hooked on the books); I haven't seen it yet but I'll probably come back and comment on it when I do!

Lush Guru

Date:

Umm...it might be Robb...or Jon. I know they're really young in the books but I'm just going to skip over that part. I am a stark at heart but I couldn't break up Ned and Cat.

(Also, I find Peter Dinklage's portrayal of Tyrion incredibly attractive).

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Firstly I'll apologise for the necropost but I have come to this incredibly late. I found the DVD set at home and now I am hooked! I've not finished yet or read the books, (although I know my mum has them because she's read them all multiple times since the 90's and occasionally talks about them to her friends) but this is one of the best discoveries I've made in a while, kinda sad it took me this long though...

So my favourite character so far would have to be Tyrion, the hottest Jon and the one I hate the most is a toss up between Cersei or Joffrey.

EDIT: Or Viserys, I hate how he treats his sister and talks about the Dothraki.

-- Edited by Redshoes on Sunday 1st of July 2012 10:38:57 AM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Piglet wrote:

^ Ah yes, he does an amazing job doesn't he? Literally brings his keen intellect and quick wit to life.

Spoilered in case you didn't want to know these things, or were thinking it but you're yet to read about it. You have been warned.

Spoiler

Ugh, exactly! The show made it so rapey and uncomfortable my Dad had to assure me that in the book it isn't like that at all and it was misrepresented. I don't understand why they shot it like that... it made me feel bad for starting to like Khal Drogo later on in the series.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hi can we talk about Game of Thrones a lot please? I'm in mourning for 80 reasons and I need to talk about it.

WHAT THE HELL WAS THIS SEASON

-discuss-

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

SO BRUTAL. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Genuinely I miss last season when it was all fun medieval battles and little shits getting poisoned, now it is full on dystopian nightmare. Everything this season has been grey and sad and I think the writers need to calm down and take up yoga or something.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Like, obviously there was a lot of male death in the season finale. Some I can't even talk about yet, *sob* but at the beginning of the episode the chap turned around to me and went, 'Y'know... I can't remember the last time a man died in this season' which sort of sums up how it's been.

I have to say in the final scene last night, where the fuck was Ghost? Why was Ghost not bounding to the rescue? Where is Ghost?!

Also, is Gendry okay? He's been rowing on that boat forever. Will he pop up next season as the new Stannis, knowing he's a Old King Roberts Bastard and make a claim to the throne? Do we care?

What the fuck do the writer's have against Sansa? Why has any of this happened?

Regular Crew

Date:

The hardest thing to watch this season was the Ramsey- Reek/Theon thing. That was just so traumatic!

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

oh how i love GoT,

first off on this season, i refuse to belive that jon is dead, the red witch just turned up an those dudes can reincarnate right?

cant stand sansa but jeez what are they up to with her

well done alfie allen, his portrayal of theon has been amazing, the amazing acting of the guy who plays ramsey has been fab too (although the character has been awful from the start)

and yay for sam!!!!

plus i love brienne and pod

has everyone forgotten that cersei is an evil baby killer? everyone went crazy when she did her walk of shame but SHE IS EVIL

think im done for now haha

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Honoured Mook

Date:

Is anyone else stuck in the land of "new game of thrones is here, but I don't have HBO so I have to close my eyes, stick my fingers in my ears, and go lalallallalala no spoilers everytime I go on facebook"?

I have a minor confession with the books: I sort of like the show better.

I actually appreciate the books waaaay more now that I've watched the show, and I think its because it made it easier for my to connect names-with-faces. For example, Theon Grayjoy is mentioned in the first chapter of book 1, and then not again until pretty much the end of the book. I tried to read them in 5th grade so a lot went over my head, but I reread book 1 last year and enjoyed it more now.

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I've put my HBO subscription on hold because I have too much to do right now, so in a similar situation.
I've spent so much time reading the theories of other people (who also spend too much of their brainpower on ASOIAF) by now, I'm not even sure I can be surprised by anything anymore. So spoilers don't really bother me. I think. We will see.

And by now, what I expect to happen is: Awful things will happen to the characters. Most of them will die in a gruesome manner. There will be more focus on female nudity than political scheming. What would be truly surprising is if there was no tits and deaths this season :)

I really like the series but I definitively like the books better. I think there is a lot lost when the female characters is transformed to the screen. There is a lot more to Cersei than being a mother for example. And the written word is so much more rich and informative to me than visuals when it comes to fiction. Plus it is easier for me to remember people/stuff that happens/details when reading.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I do have to agree with Cersei--she was such a badass in the books, and the show really turned her into the over-involved-mom thing. Even so, I feel like Cersei's true affection for her children isn't really portrayed well in the show, either, so I do agree with what you mean about the female characters' transformation on screen.

Sansa is another example--I hated Sansa until I reread the books. The show has her whiny and the actress portraying her makes it easy to forget that Sansa was basically a little girl who got stuck in the situation. It's so easy to sympathize with Arya, but I really feel for Sansa. She was the sister trying to do the "right" things--read the right books, do the right skills, make herself into a right lady and have the right romances--and doing all the "right" things got her in a huge mess. When I read the books again it really made me reevaluate how I viewed Sansa. I wouldn't have had these thoughts from just the show alone.

All the old white guys with beards are confusing in both the book and the shows for me, if I'm being honest.

Annointed Queen of Mook - Founder and Editor

Date:

I'm so happy - I was all set to get excited about tonight but then discovered we can't get live Sky Atlantic so I'd have to wait another two days, because I wilfully arranged something for tuesday evening, thinking tonight was GoT. Despicable behaviour on my part. But now Paddy thinks he's found some kind of solution - yay for TV sorcery!

My prediction: There'll be things I love, things I'm weirded out by and the tedious red witch will finally have perfected her english accent (I've been marking her accent very closely over each season and it's been a source of perverse pleasure to me).

I'm desperate for Sansa to live, I may be the only person I know who was totally into Cersei's walk of shame (very close to my personal internal ways of coping with stress, I really related) and I am fascinated by Cersei in general. I've never read the books but I can see there's more to her than motherhood, much as I enjoy that aspect of her also. She is a she-wolf.

I also have THEORIES, and I've made anyone at work who cares to put their theory in a tin with their initials so we can compare theories tomorrow :)

Hello from Mookychick's founder. www.mookychick.co.uk. @mookychick. Mookbook. Stuff. Writes things.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I'm not really into fantasy that much but I watched the first couple of episodes with my boyfriend and quite enjoyed it. Then the hot liquid gold on Daenerys' evil brother's head happened and since then I haven't wanted to come anywhere near the series. 

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I loved last night's episode!!! I mean hodor has a real name! I love hodor, plus all of the evil Ramsey stuff an the big finish just wow

so what if i love each feather an each spangle, why not try an see things from a different angle?

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us