Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Study Abroad: University of Sussex?

Honoured Mook

Date:
Study Abroad: University of Sussex?

I'm looking to study abroad next year for a semester. I'm currently at a US university, studying Public Relations & doing a 'certificate' of art & advertising. I've been looking at some of my school's study abroad programs, but haven't been overly happy with their options. While I'm open to considering nearly any European nation, I've really been leaning towards Ireland or England.

My school allows you to put in a petition for other programs - I did a little searching of schools on my own and really like the University of Sussex (Brighton, England). I believe that a few of you may live in that area, or certainly have visited Brighton - do any of you attend or have friends that do? Just looking for general input on the school, student life, academics, general area.

Also, one of the pre-approved programs is for Ireland is Univeristy of Limerick - does anyone have any experience with it or with general studying in Ireland?

Thank you !

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I visited Sussex University on a university tour a few years ago and both the campus and Brighton seemed really lovely. I was very, very tempted to go there and the only reason I didn't was that Brighton is quite a small place and I prefer larger cities (but that's just a personal thing). I would definitely love to go back to Brighton for a holiday though, it was really nice. This is just what my friend told me, but apparently it's more politically active than your average uni (actually, I remember when I visited some students were occupying a lecture theatre in support of Palestine...) and it has more international and mature students studying there, so I'd imagine you might meet a broader range of people there than you would at other British unis. Other good things are that it's near to the Sussex Downs (nice countryside) and only an hour away from London. Someone who's actually studied there could probably give you better advice though.

Tumblr

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I am from Brighton and my mum went to Sussex, as did my Stepdad, as a mature student. I love Brighton so much. (Brighton isn't that small Orangensaft, I don't quite know where you got that from - yeah it's not London, but dude...)

Sussex University is very variable depending on the course you will be taking. I know that their languages department isn't that great and it recently had its funding cut massively. The media department is really good, and at one point was THE place to go to do media... I don't know much about their other departments I am afraid.

I didn't go to university in Brighton but I imagine it would be a great town to be a university student in. It was certainly a wonderful town to be a teenager in!! Lots and lots of stuff to do, loads of cafes and theatres and cinemas. There is a thing every May called the Brighton Festival which is basically a huge festival of theatre, art, music, comedy, installation, food... just EVERYTHING. It's fantastic fun, and they have a fringe festival like in Edinburgh, which is really good. You might even have the chance to be a part of the Fringe as I wouldn't be surprised if Sussex Uni had a few acts in the Fringe...

The shopping is excellent in Brighton too, tons of vintage shops, and independent shops in general. Loads to explore....

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Honoured Mook

Date:

Thank you very much both of you - I'm going to my school's study abroad office to see what they think of the program & see just how *feasible* it is to put in a request (aka if anyone is willing to help me).

Honoured Mook

Date:

Just wanted to share that I wrote a petition (basically convince my school why you want and should be allowed to go there...). Workers in the study abroad office weren't very helpful, but apparently the head of the department is very relaxed and reasonable - sent in my request yesterday and already received a reply, will be meeting with the head on Friday to discuss before they make their final decision on accepting the program or not! :) Course then I need to actually apply, but still a big step if *my* college accepts it and will accept credit from it...

In the meantime, I've had Limerick (Ireland) as my backup program, it's already approved by my college. Spoke to one girl who went there a few years ago and she really loved it and had some great input.... will be hard to decide if both go through!

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us