Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Random thought of the day

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:
RE: Random thought of the day

^More likely a convenient decoy action,for whilst the eyes of the world media are busy watching LDN,shady shenanigans can be executed elsewhere that would have otherwise been noticed...

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

Mooky's Resident Emperor!

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

These kids, who have got A*'s in their A-levels at age 10. If they now do a degree, that'll be finished by the time they're 13. then what will they do? you cant work until you're 14 and then it's very limited. I don't get why it's so celebrated, after thinking about it, because they aren't going to have any adult experience, plus they'll miss out on the social aspect of uni life.... I think it's setting them up for a fall once their academia is over and they need to enter the real world.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I know for a fact in Ireland most universities won't admit you if you're under the age of 17. It's part of the matriculation rules. So if that happened here even if the kids wanted to go to uni to get a degree, they would have to wait until they were older which makes total sense for a number of reasons. Could the age restrictions be the same in the UK?

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

I think they probably are. In which case, there's still no point having your A-levels done by the age of 10, unless they take more A-levels until they reach the age of 17... so there's still not much point, although having 9 A-levels would be impressive, you'll still end up going to uni with people your own age, but you'll have been isolated from that through the higher education over the past 8 years...damaging, really.

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Why is my ironing board cover always so creased?

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Yes it does seem totally pointless having your A-levels that young. Of course it's an amazing achievement and everything, but what the hell would they do until they reached the age where they could take more A-levels? Over here I don't think it would even be possible to do one leaving cert and then another and have all your results compiled. I'm sure you can take the exam as many times as you want but your latest result is the one that counts. I think having age limits set on exams is the right thing to do, but then some people would complain that age limits hold their kids back...

Emmi: Can't you just keep ironing the creases out of your ironing board cover? :P 

-- Edited by Indigo Empress on Thursday 16th of August 2012 10:40:05 PM

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

Lush Guru

Date:

Notice that most subjects taken by 10 year olds are maths and science types. They don't have the emotional maturity to do the analytic subjects like literature.

I don't think it's a good idea and I wouldn't do it to my children even if they were super clever.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Indigo... I could but I don't really want to. I just spent far too long ironing today and it confused me slightly.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Honoured Mook

Date:

Wondering what makes blokes feel the need to do the "willy dance" every time they get naked...

Facebook

and a Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Just ran across some vids on YT showing people using the internet in 1996 and 1998. Ahh,memories! lol. Anybody with something to say,and lots of people with nothing to say too,seemed to have a Geocities website. I did!

Dave.

New posters should read "So you joined Mooky" in the FAQ forum. Or Matt Bellamy on an armoured flying unicorn shall smite you. With lasers! \m/

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Hahahaha - I just looked up one from 1996...it's so weird to think that the internet was like that when I was 11!

Going further back, though, this was my first ever computer. All of the games were in green and black, and they were cassette tapes. You put the cassette into the keyboard, and had to turn it over half way through the game. It's currently selling on eBay for £4 with free postage and packaging.

xxx Eve

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Back when computers were real computers lol. Slightly tempted,mind you,but we have enough junk sadly. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum with 48k memory,which you needed your own tape recorder to load games onto and it plugged into the aerial socket on the TV. I just about got the hang of "Asteroids" haha! I think you got the better deal since the tape recorder was integrated!

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

In 1996 we didn't have a computer... we'd just got a Demonchilde and that was bad enough.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I like how I was just looking a bit at Immi's tumblr, wanting to save a picture of knives and saws and hammers on a magnetic bar... and the default target folder was the Interior Decoration Inspiration one.
A horror inspired kitchen? That might be a good idea, in fact.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

It makes sense that Matt baker now presents the One Show, because it is essentially Blue Peter for middle aged people isn't it?

Souljacker can't get my soul

Left my carcass with the worms and moles

Souljacker can't get my soul

He can hang my neck from the old flagpole

But the souljacker can't get my soul.

Silly Whore.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I haven't seen the boyface in a while and won't for a further while. Before I had my coil fitted (2 years ago) during this waiting period, one thing I always used to enjoy and get be excited is going out and procuring loads of condoms. Now we have no real use for the stretchy little buggers except putting them on my sister's head and blowing them up to ridiculous sizes.
So yeah, random thought of the day: "I really miss buying condoms!"

Eccentric Blue Haired Ecdysiast & Self Professed Dildo Nerd

Answers to Daisy or Little Spoon :) x

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I was in a card shop to get a birthday card and noticed they had a big display of xmas cards already. In August. Xmas cards in August. WTF?

Dave.

Booky Mooky (mod)

Date:

^^I have to brave the card shop today and I am not looking forward to it. There's a pop-up type shop in my hometown that opens mid-September, and all it sells is Christmas stuff. Trees, inflatable snowmen, etc. Its existence angers me.

Saying that, when Bobbie and I were in Salzburg, we found a Christmas shop. This was in July.

-Proud (and fertile!) Mooky Grandfather-

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^That's German forward planning and efficiency for you. ;) Over here it just jars. That pop-up shop would annoy me also. That said,some people buy their Xmas cards in Jan when they're knocked down in the sales lol. My aunt used to work in Woolies in the 60s and she said they never put out xmas stuff until the first week in December...it's weird how xmas has slowly crept forward,month by month.

Dave.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

NO XMAS UNTIL NOVEMBAAAAAR!!!

Just your friendly neighbourhood dork of epic proportions

Vegetarbles food blog

Assorted shite blog

Resident Lord of Tiny Stretches - Sir Chris the Lubey

Proud favouritest person of Indigo

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

There's a Christmas shop in Edinburgh that's open all year, and oddly enough, no matter what month I walk past it in, it's never empty.

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ yeeeessss! Let Halloween have its time. Chistmas stuff coming out at the beginning of November is plenty early!

Honoured Mook

Date:

Loads of my friends are already posting on FB about the Xmas presents they've been buying, I'm all for forward planning (I hate the last minute panic buying!) but I think starting this early is just silly IMO.

Facebook

and a Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ if you can't keep stuff like that secret you shouldn't be allowed to HAVE Facebook. Seriously, who wants to know?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

There's a Christmas shop in York too. Next to the cat shop (it sells cat-related things but, surprisingly, I don't think it sells cats...). There's a shop for everything in York.

And today I was out at a shopping centre with my mum and I was like 'OH THAT'S NICE!!' at things and she was like 'right, that's on your Christmas list then'. Christmas is ages away, stop talking about it. It's weird. Groan.

Tumblr

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

There's a Christmas shop in Stratford-Upon-Avon, opposite Shakespeare's birthplace. Mighty odd, I must say!

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Baby Mook

Date:

I live here in Cali and it gets pretty hot here, but I have an "issue" with wearing  sweaters or long-sleeved shirts  even if it is up to 110 degrees. Is it strange?  People keep commenting on how I should show my arms , but if I do, I have a nervy spazz.  Is there something  I could do about it? hmm

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Hi DMM, welcome to Mooky. Have you taken a look at our forum guidelines? Would you like to nip over to our welcome board and introduce yourself so we know what new awesomness is in store for us?

As for your question, you may find you get more replies if you check that you're posting in the right threads and boards. This would probably do better under style tribe or general advice. But seeing as I'm here anyway...

If you like wearing clothes, who gives an invisible flying monkey what other people think you ought to do, and what you ought to show? Don't do anything you don't want to, especially when it's something as trivial as clothing. Of course, if you also happen to be too hot, have you considered what fabrics and colours you're wearing? Light colours and natural fabrics like cotton really help, and a loose cut can keep you cooler than a short sleeved shirt as it'll help circulate air. But basically, unless you want to wear something different, don't.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wouldn't it be interesting if countries could take each other over just like companies do? How much would the UK pay to buy Portugal,say? (inspired as ever by Muse: "Why split these states when there can be only one?" - United States of Eurasia)

Dave.

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:02:44 PM

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us