Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Random thought of the day

Honoured Mook

Date:
RE: Random thought of the day

MarshmallowNoise wrote:

Why are their so many damn stairs at college/universities?

Maybe its because they realise that for some students, its the only exercise they get!

I've spent so much time throwing rocks at your window...That I never even knocked on the front door

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Missunderstood wrote:
MarshmallowNoise wrote:

Why are their so many damn stairs at college/universities?

Maybe its because they realise that for some students, its the only exercise they get!

You have a point. That's basically my only workout right now.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

We have lifts. People wait ten minutes for the lift to come and find that I've beat them to the classroom and stolen the best seats. We also have automatic doors. These are turned off and locked when the wind is bad (turns the college entrance into a bit of a deathtrap) and my media group spent a good hour watching people walk past the regular doors to the automatic doors, only to find that they didn't open. Most of them pushed said automatic door, found it was locked, gave up and went back to the normal door, to be greeted by our applause and laughter.

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:00:51 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

Random thought of the day: I am a cruel person. I really fancy a bacon sandwich after watching Charlottes web.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I'm wondering if there is such a word as "spirographer"? In the way that a photographer takes photographs, surely a spirographer is a person who makes spirographs?

Also...if a cartographer is a person who draws maps, why are maps not called cartographs?

xxx Eve

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Where do the Friends' friends come from when they have parties? You rarely see them hanging out with anyone else, but whenever they have a party the room is full?!

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^Extras from Joey's work?

Life Is A Mystery x Death Is Not = Angels and Eyeliner going to Hell hand in hand...

Mooky's Resident Cardinal of Awesomeness

Don't make me take the shades off...

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Why did women once decided to wear trousers as well as men, but men not to wear skirts? I mean a patriarchy also restricts men because they have to fulfill a certain ideal. Also skirts are that much more comfortable, so why the hell did women want to wear trousers? xD

Why had Windows programmer no time to correct certain mistakes but could program an error report for those errors that are "unexpected"? Eh?

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:01:11 PM

Honoured Mook

Date:

Who was responsible for the extremely witty sign in the window of a rufty tufty outdoor sports emporium that is currently having a sale......"Now is the discount of our winter tent" If I wore a hat, I would be taking it off in respect.

The night

Hath been to me a more familiar face

Than that of man; and in her starry shade

Of dim and solitary loveliness 

I learned the language of another world.

Honoured Mook

Date:

angelvixen wrote:

Who was responsible for the extremely witty sign in the window of a rufty tufty outdoor sports emporium that is currently having a sale......"Now is the discount of our winter tent" If I wore a hat, I would be taking it off in respect.

This made my morning :D

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

If everyone hates clowns, how do they get work?

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:01:23 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

How can adults say how safe it was to roam around as children 'back in their day' when that exact period was when the most prolific serial killers were at large? I think it was just as dangerous back then; we were just more naive.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Apparently, the number of child murders per year hasn't changed since the fifties and in most cases, the murderers were the children's relatives or family friends. I guess people are just paranoid.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:01:35 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I was thinking earlier about when Christians say that people will be condemned to Hell if they don't believe in God. Well, if I don't believe in something then it isn't really going to threaten me...kind of like if I turned round and said "I'm going to get my fire breathing dragon to come and put you in his cave for the rest of your life". You don't believe in my dragon so me threatening you with him isn't going to make you change anything...

Why give people free-will to choose whether or not to believe in you then punish those who do just that? You're omnipotent, you already know whether or not an individual will believe in you so where's the fun in already knowing that you're going to punish these people? Blind faith (believing without questioning the thing you believe in) just seems to be a waste of free will. I believe in the concept of dragons. I know that it's extremely unlikely that they exist on this earth because...we'd have seen them by now but perhaps on a seperate plane of conciousness or another planet...who knows! By the same token I believe in the concept of a god/gods but I don't think they would be as "involved" as the Christian God seems to be.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I really love this post.

I've been wondering about how complicated humans make life. Almost everything we do is abstract, constructed, comprised of imaginary concepts and laws we've created. Sometimes when I think about things like, for example, baknks, I take a moment to marvel at the depth of thought we've put into our lives.

Honoured Mook

Date:

I was sat in my maths with my friend Soul and after 5 minutes of staring out of the window he said "Don't you love how birds walk?" He spent the rest of the lesson pretending to be a bird.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

While practising bound buttonholes at work today, I made one that looked near enough perfect. My first thought was that it was a huge achievement and that I would be a little sad when it came to clearing my table of the mound of buttonholes because that was the first good one I'd made.

This led me onto thinking, what would the world be like if we rewarded ourselves as frequently as we would reward a child who was achieving a lot of things, and did so in the same way?

I have a feeling that we'd get a lot of fun out of it! For example:

-A good grade at school might mean a day at the park, playing on the swings and feeding the ducks.
-Doing something nice for someone who isn't feeling great might mean that you get to eat a big ice cream at the beach.
-If you drew a really good picture for someone else, maybe they would blue tack it to their wall? (I actually have six paintings in my house that others have painted for me, all up on the walls. The youngest artist was six at the time, and the oldest is 29. I love these canvases - they're each really beautiful in completely different ways.)

...and so on.

With all of this in mind, I think I might get a magnet, and put this little piece of denim with the bound buttonhole on the door of my fridge.

xxx Eve

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Oh Eve, every single time you write about buttonholes I think you're talking about buttholes. Ahem.

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Does anybody else hear 'yellow ducks'? blankstare

(Spoilered for link to Coldplay video)

Spoiler

-- Edited by orangensaft on Saturday 11th of February 2012 06:24:04 PM

Tumblr

Dame of Mooky (mod)

Date:

That middle fucking clasp when getting a corset off!

(Member of The Facebook Sexist Group Eliminating Squad)

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

Next time I go on an aeroplane, I am going to document the shit out of the journey. I LOVE looking at photos taken on aeroplanes. It's basically all I've done for days on end now...Also, this pen tastes of strawberries. WHY?!

On a more theoretical note:

I think about child development a lot due to my PGCE. It's pretty interesting really. Studies show that putting children in groups that are based upon their ability can actually negatively impact their development in school (ie, putting kids in ability-based sets doesn't make them better at english, or maths, or any other subject you've put them in sets for) Now, I was wondering what you thought of that, guyssss, because I have memories of being in ability based sets, as well as mixed-ability groups. I MUCH preferred being in ability-based sets because I was one of those kids who got very frustrated with those who weren't as 'good' as me... Any thoughts on this, chumrades?

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I found that too. It sounds utterly horrible, but I hated working with slow people, either because they made me do all the work or because they just didn't get it. But I never wanted to help them because it made me feel like I was showing off or being a swot. Argh, you just can't win.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^I've also always preferred being in ability based classes, due to behaviour in them (in my experience) being a lot better. I can see that if everyone wanted to learn, and was focused then mixed ability might be quite a good thing, but I don't think that it'd work in reality.

Cut Out And Keep

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Wednesday 13th of March 2013 11:57:55 PM

Professor Mook (mod)

Date:

I agree. I think that basically it benefits you if you are bright and eager, but it can be detrimental if you are struggling or disinterested.

Another interesting study showed that giving a grade but no target/feedback meant that children's performance was WORSE on their next piece of work. Giving a grade and a target/feedback meant there was NO CHANGE, and giving simply written targets and feedback meant that the child's work IMPROVED!
What say you?

Stalk me on my blog, I guess? xxx

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'd rather have a grade and feedback, because it makes me feel that if I don't get the grade I want I have something to strive towards. Without a grade, I feel like I'm flapping about a bit without any structure; it makes me a tad nervous.

«First  <  1 2 3 414  >  Last»  | Page of 14  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us