Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Random thought of the day

Honoured Mook

Date:
Random thought of the day

(Sorry if theres already a thread like this, someone please move this one and point me in the right direction if there is!!)

So I had a quick search and found that we can share our happy things in 'the happy box', our sad things in 'reasons to be miserable', our rants, jokes, musings etc but not just to voice our random thoughts that don't really require a totally new thread to be made.

So...today I was wondering about those dogs that people carry around in a bag...wouldn't it be crazy if due to this fashion trend, the evolution of those breeds of dog decided legs were no longer of real use, so eventually the puppies would be born with short stumps more suited to fitting in a bag, or even worse...with no legs at all!

Craziness!

What kind of other random and inexplainable thoughts go through Mooks heads throughout their days??

I've spent so much time throwing rocks at your window...That I never even knocked on the front door

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Yeah, that is a strange one, wonder if they won't continue to be dogs just little accessories.

Only two I can think of...

How do worlds most pierced and modified people get through airport security? If you have any shoes with slightest bit of metal you practically nearly get strip searched. Bet it makes going away a pain.

Plastic surgery, don't get it to start off with but wondered when people get addicted to it can parts of your body eventually disappear? If you have no nose or other areas left after having so many procedures.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ Well Michael Jackson's nose disintegrated, didn't it? Since the nose is made from cartilage it breaks down easily in a lot of medical procedures, although it can now be rebuilt with rib bones.

My random thought is how many mythical creatures could realistically exist? Mermaids are a possibility but apparently they'd have to be bald, flat faced, web-fingered and have eyes with shallow sockets that were spread wide apart on their faces so that they could watch out for predators. Oh, and they'd have to have huge teeth to make up for their lack of other defense.

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Staring at the ring doughnut in my hand, I wonder who was responsible for that particular design and why the hole....was it a pagan thing? 'the circle of sugary indulgence'......and now the doughnut is gone!

The night

Hath been to me a more familiar face

Than that of man; and in her starry shade

Of dim and solitary loveliness 

I learned the language of another world.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Lady Misery wrote:

^ Well Michael Jackson's nose disintegrated, didn't it? Since the nose is made from cartilage it breaks down easily in a lot of medical procedures, although it can now be rebuilt with rib bones. 

^If he hadn't have died he probably would have been having one of the first celebrity nose reconstructions then.

Who invented stickers, staples and other office stationary and did the person who invented get a good deal out of it? I'm too lazy to do research and doubt that they did ha ha.

-- Edited by Gypsy Rose Tea on Thursday 12th of January 2012 11:06:25 AM

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I was just wondering about making this kind of thread the other day! Yay!

So coming back here... several times a day...

This signature is definitely not a horcrux.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

- When you put salt water fish into clear water, or the other way around, what is it about the salt that kills them? I imagine it to be something to do with osmosis...like, putting something into a hypertonic solution makes the cells lose water and shrivel up (crenate), and putting something into a hypotonic solution makes the cells turgid, and then they can burst (except in plants - their cells walls are cellulose and are burst-resistant, I think). I have no idea whether this is true, but it's the only explanation I can come up with. Does anyone know?!

- Also, what shape would chairs be if our knees bent the other way, like those of a bird? A friend of mine eventually worked out a plausible design, but I can't remember it at all.

- This one I have an answer to, but I thought I'd share because it was a random thought that confused me for YEARS! When I was in my early teens, I spent a lot of time wondering about global warming and the effects on the sea levels. I couldn't understand how melting ice caps was causing the sea level to rise when water is...the only liquid I can think of, actually...that expands when frozen. This would mean that the ice beneath the sea level should take up less space when melted than when frozen, meaning that the level of the water would drop, and the ice above the water is so insignificant in volume compared to what's underneath it that its melting into the sea would be compensated for by the volumetric change in what's beneath. I finally got an answer to this...five years after I first asked. No, the volumetric change does not compensate. You have no idea how many BSc, MSc, and PhD students, and science tutors, I put this question to!

xxx Eve

Honoured Mook

Date:

This is from last night as I was trying to sleep.

"My shoulder's cold."

I then spent 1/2 hour thinking that I had never thought about my shoulder's temperature before in my life, and perhaps I should contemplate this more often?

I spent a further 5 minutes wondering why this was such a big issue.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

So I have one.

WHY on EARTH does this happen:

WHY when you are weeing perfectly normally does it sometimes defy gravity and all that is normal by going straight up the side of your arse cheek?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Raspectre wrote:

So I have one.

WHY when you are weeing perfectly normally does it sometimes defy gravity and all that is normal by going straight up the side of your arse cheek?

OH GOD YES

HOW

JUST HOW

Tumblr

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

charmer wrote:
Raspectre wrote:

So I have one.

OH GOD YES

HOW

JUST HOW

AND WHY, EVEN WHEN YOU LEAN THE OTHER WAY, LIFTING THE OFFENDING CHEEK RIGHT OFF THE BOWL, DOES IT CONTINUE TO DO SO?!? D:::

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I found this out a few days ago but I'm still wondering why Daffy Duck is called Lucas Duck in Spanish.

Tumblr

Regular Crew

Date:

^had the same thought all my chilhood

.....What if all the UFO stories are in fact people from the future coming to check us out???!!!

-- Edited by Glittery_Muffin on Friday 13th of January 2012 11:13:10 PM

"Oh, Dear!!" - 

"What?!"

- "I can't seem to find my virginity anywhere!!"

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ Interestingly, the original Japanese name for the Mario character "King Boo" is "King Theresa" O_O

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

What if you could record your dreams so you could watch them back later?!

I have loads of horrible dreams that I wouldn't want to watch, but sometimes I have really, really bizarre ones of which I only remember little snippets for a short time. I'd be curious to see them through lucid eyes when I was awake.

Maybe a hat that you went to bed in that recorded them, and had a USB connection so that you could connect it to your computer?

That's what we need. USB sleep hats.

xxx Eve

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ oh I so totally agree, although I fear I might be institutionalised if some of the crazy shit I retell to my OH each morning was seen by others!

Did you happen to watch Black Mirror on channel 4 a few weeks ago, they had a similar thing but it recorded memories.

I've spent so much time throwing rocks at your window...That I never even knocked on the front door

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

^ No, I didn't! I don't have a TV...recorded memories could be good, though...well, unless people can edit them without your knowledge should they find your memory stash. That would be so weird...like, if you remembered something incorrectly because someone edited your memory recordings! :O

xxx Eve

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

I've been pondering the question why women were central actors in replacing Heathenry with Christianity in Scandinavia, why would women promote a patriarchal religion? Perhaps because social class was more important than gender for their identity and the new religion benefited the nobles?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I'm wondering about the possibility of Earth being a prison planet for aliens with a chameleon/metamorphosis ability to physically change their forms- perhaps they became too dangerous, so the real humans rounded them up, brainwashed them into believing they were human, packed them onto a planet with its own careful manufactured history and allowed them to live in ignorance of their origins. Area 51 could be where they keep those of us who realize we aren't what we think and regress to our original forms. Maybe that's where the werewolf myths come from- some 'humans', discovering the truth, transformed at night when they were least likely to be seen- the carnage could simply be a product of fear and denial. Only a thought ;)

"I'm a time lord and I can like travel all around space and through time and shit" he replied kindly.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Eveacus wrote:

- When you put salt water fish into clear water, or the other way around, what is it about the salt that kills them? I imagine it to be something to do with osmosis...like, putting something into a hypertonic solution makes the cells lose water and shrivel up (crenate), and putting something into a hypotonic solution makes the cells turgid, and then they can burst (except in plants - their cells walls are cellulose and are burst-resistant, I think). I have no idea whether this is true, but it's the only explanation I can come up with. Does anyone know?!

- Also, what shape would chairs be if our knees bent the other way, like those of a bird? A friend of mine eventually worked out a plausible design, but I can't remember it at all.

-You're bang on. It's all to do with osmosis. The cells of the salt water fish are used to being surrounded by water with a high salinity. Fish are osmoregulators, i.e. they maintain the osmolality of their cells no matter what situation they're in- in contrast to osmoconforming organisms which match their cellular ion concentration to their surroundings.

Despite this, a fish would be overwhelmed by a sudden change in it's environment and may not be able to regulate the osmolality of its cells in time. When a salt water fish is put into fresh water it's not going to do too well. The definition of osmosis is the movement of water across a semi-permeable membrane from an area of high water concentration (the fresh water) to an area of low water concentration (the salt water fish). So the surrounding water will rush into it's body (and cells) causing them to become extremely turgid and perhaps burst, as animal cells do not possess a strong cell wall. When a fresh water fish is placed in salt water, the water of the cells rushes out of the body to reach the salty water, or the area of low water concentration.  

-I laughed at this so much. I've tried for the past few minutes to imagine what we'd sit on but I just can't :P 

-- Edited by weetabexx on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 10:29:46 PM

"You're a tough cookie, but all cookies are crumbly sometimes, that however, makes them no less of a cookie, and they're just as good as any other cookie." ~Indiana Jones

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I met a raw foodist today and even after bombarding him with questions for like half an hour I'm still confused as to why anyone would want to do it.

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

Why after repeating a word over and over does it just sound wierder and make less sense? Take the word "Trousers"...just think about it..or "Sandwich"...all words we take for granted..but if repeated in ones mind...are..odd? eh maybe its just me..x

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

orangensaft wrote:

I met a raw foodist today and even after bombarding him with questions for like half an hour I'm still confused as to why anyone would want to do it.

Because raw vegetables taste better and because a lot of nutrients are lost when you cook them?

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Irilar wrote:
orangensaft wrote:

Because raw vegetables taste better and because a lot of nutrients are lost when you cook them?

I know they're better for you but cooked ones taste so much nicer to me.

Maybe I phrased my post wrong, I still wouldn't want to do it.

Tumblr

Honoured Mook

Date:

I wonder a lot how on earth the standard of written English among people my fiancé's age (25) is so much worse than among people my age (30).
Things seem to have gone downhill very sharply after I left school and it baffles and concerns me.

It can't rain all the time...

my blog

facebook

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Why are their so many damn stairs at college/universities?

I wish I had Rod Sterling's job in 'The Twilight Zone'. Wouldn't that be awesome?!

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. ~Star Trek: Voyager

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

weetabexx wrote:
Eveacus wrote:

-You're bang on. It's all to do with osmosis. The cells of the salt water fish are used to being surrounded by water with a high salinity. Fish are osmoregulators, i.e. they maintain the osmolality of their cells no matter what situation they're in- in contrast to osmoconforming organisms which match their cellular ion concentration to their surroundings.

Despite this, a fish would be overwhelmed by a sudden change in it's environment and may not be able to regulate the osmolality of its cells in time. When a salt water fish is put into fresh water it's not going to do too well. The definition of osmosis is the movement of water across a semi-permeable membrane from an area of high water concentration (the fresh water) to an area of low water concentration (the salt water fish). So the surrounding water will rush into it's body (and cells) causing them to become extremely turgid and perhaps burst, as animal cells do not possess a strong cell wall. When a fresh water fish is placed in salt water, the water of the cells rushes out of the body to reach the salty water, or the area of low water concentration.  

-I laughed at this so much. I've tried for the past few minutes to imagine what we'd sit on but I just can't :P 

-- Edited by weetabexx on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 10:29:46 PM

Thank you, Bexsicles! I'm glad I finally know the answer to my fish/osmosis question...and, of course, it's always nice to be right :P.

If you come up with any chair suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 

xxx Eve

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:00:17 PM

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I was thinking they could launch it as the next blockbuster :D I was thinking the main character would have this nerdy geologist best friend who'd take samples from different parts of a mountain and be like, "Dude... the mineral composition's completely difference... most of this landscape has been manufactured. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?'

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:00:27 PM

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us