Mookychick Messageboard  
Members Login
Username 

Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: Travelling yes, but what about money?

Seasoned Mookster

Date:
Travelling yes, but what about money?

hey
I made up my mind about what to do after I got my a-levels next year and I thought that it'd be a good idea to travel trough at least Germany and a few neighbour countries.
I'd like to see more countries (like e.g. Sweden, Finland, Denmark and the Netherlands), but the money is missing. So - how do I get money?

-How did you fund your travelling?
-Did anyone of you try travel and work on your own?
-How did you plan with the money? How much did you plan with?

Please help me out with your answers :)

P.S.: I searched for a topic about money, but didn't find one in travelling, so I'm sorry if there already was one.

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Erm, I got a job? The last bit of travelling I didn't really think too much about money (now I'm back I realise that maybe I should have oops). You'll probably always end up spending a lot more than you expect, so make sure you have more than enough before you go. Any maybe book flights and trains and stuff as far as possible in advance so that they're cheaper? You could always work a bit while you're travelling doing something like au pairing, WOOFing, volunteering in a place that provides accommodation and board, working in a hostel or teaching English.

Tumblr

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Not exactly about getting money, but a tip on travelling cheaply in Nordic countries: All countries with high standard of living, little social differences (I believe Denmark is the world's most economically equal country) and low crime. This means that hitch hiking is quite safe.
You can go about freely and camp in the wilderness a.k.a. everything that isn't fields, industrial areas or somebody's garden.

Couch surfing is a great way to save money on accommodation and meet local people.

And if you decide to go to Norway, you're welcome to come stay at my farm :)

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

@orangensaft: Well, first of all thank you :)
The thing with the job is a problem because I'm doing my a-levels right now, so there's not much time left, altough I'm babysitting and giving lessons often.
Sorry, what does woofing mean? oO

@Irilar: Sounds great. Thank you for the invitation :D You can't be serious, are you?

All in all it gets hard to save money because I want to move in summer. Then I won't get money from my parents anymore (but that's fine, everything is better than staying at my parents...) Maybe I could sell a bit of my beloved stuff.
The thing with work and travel is a good tip. I think I will write some applications and then I will book the tickets and stuff early.
Coach surfing is nice, there are a few friends, but just two three in Germany, none in the other countries. - I guess there the costs will be higher :/

Thank you :)

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

TheLastZombieAlive wrote:
Sorry, what does woofing mean? oO

Sorry I should have explained that, it sounds well dodgy on its own heh!

Look here

Tumblr

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Idiotically I've never heard about WOOFing before. It's very similar to what I do with my friends and acquaintances: lure them over with promises of mountain holidays, give them G&T, mead and other yummy booze and take them weeding the vegetables :D

I was serious when inviting you over lastzombie, but after that last admission there I suppose you wouldn't want to come :) And it's an unholy mess here now since we're renovating the house. It looks like this at home, but also a bit like this unfortunately.

On a more serious note, I will be looking into WWOOF and quite possibly participate once I get this farm more in shape.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Well, this sounds just great! (But would they trust me? I'm vegan.. and vegan and vegetables... :D)
When should I start planing my trips? oO
A year ago is a bit too much, isn't it?

@Irilar: I'm sure it looks great. A bit disorder makes a place much more comfortable. Look at my parents: They seem to live in a museum... (e.g.: don't cook in the kitchen, don't sit on the coach otherwise it might look disorderly afterwards, don't use the telephone for phoning.. etc). Pro Disorder - it let's you know that people are human :D

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Haha, there are farms that will provide vegan food though, you just need to look at the listings.

A year's too much, a lot of websites probably wouldn't let you book that far in advance. Maybe 2-6 months before you go is a good time to start planning everything, although the last time away I was unorganised and ended up booking my accommodation the day before I left. I didn't have any problems doing that though.

It's great to hear you want to start WOOFing, Irilar. It's definitely something I'd love to try one day.

Also seconding the thing about Couchsufing. (:

Tumblr

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

Wow, this woofing thing sounds amazing, have any mooks ever done it?

"Wilfred Allsop was sitting up, his face pale, his eyes glassy, his hair disordered. He looked like the poet Shelley after a big night out with Lord Byron." - P. G. Wodehouse

Mooky's Decadent Victorian Aesthete

Honoured Mook

Date:

A friend of mine did. She went Woofing in New Zealand and loved it.

And us mooks are pretty international so if you come over to Holland maybe we can have a chat :)

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

I'd like to study in the Netherlands, so yeah might be a good idea to go there this year. OT: Do you study in Holland?

Honoured Mook

Date:

Yes, lived here all my life and studying social work.

Seasoned Mookster

Date:

Ah, nice! Can I pm you for that topic?

Honoured Mook

Date:

Sure go ahead.

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ Made thread before reading this. Oops.

Voltaire -

"The best way to become boring is to say everything."

Nami, the brutal Mook.

[Tumblog][Facebook][DeviantArt][Vampirefreaks

Page 1 of 1  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us