Password 
    Remember Me  
Chatbox
Please log in to join the chat!
Post Info TOPIC: How Do I Wear This?!

Honoured Mook

Date:
How Do I Wear This?!

I've had a hunt on our Style Tribe thread & I can't find anything like it so here goes smile

I thought this would be a good place for Mooks to post photos of/about items of clothing that they fell in love with & brought, but got home & have no clue what to wear with. Then, other mooks who are smart & savvy could post ideas of how they'd suggest wearing it.

For example, today in the boxing day sales, I got a black (faux) leather mini skirt, that comes about 2ins above my knee & poofs out a bit (like a skater skirt I guess). It's got an exposed gold zip on the back & I have no clue what to wear it with, without looking like a 90's throwback. Help me oh mookyones!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking like a 90s throwback! Have you tried wearing it with a sheer blouse for a feminine juxtaposition?

I have an absolutely stunning pencil dress, that's bright red and grey gingham. Thing is, I love it so much I want to wear it now, and I'm not sure what I could put with it that would keep the shape, and keep me warm at the same time.

What a wonderful idea for a thread!

too weak to labor on the farm

too indolent to do any exercise

too stupid for the bar

and

too immoral for the pulpit

Honoured Mook

Date:

Why thankyou lovely :) I hope it helps people find different ways to wear things!

Hmm that sounds like a very good idea! There was a sheer blouse with little black love hearts I wanted earlier, back to town tomorrow I go haha, thankyou :)

I love gingham stuff, how about some grey tights & shoe boots? Shoe boots are amazing at keeping toes warm :)

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

ahhh I've always thought about how good a thread like this would be, don't know why I never thought to just create it myself!

Watch this space, I've got loads of stuff I never know how to wear.

Honoured Mook

Date:

Miss Nimrod: Perhaps pair it with a black vest? I'm not sure what to do with it being so cold recently, but that's just what jumps in to my mind. Perhaps a punky jacket of sorts?

Little Charlie: I would pair it with an oversized black cardigan to give it a good contrast! You could easily stick a thin belt around the base if you want more waist definition. Or even a bolero jacket with long sleeves if you want to show off most of the dress

facebook : tumblr : mua fbpage : youtube

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Charlie, go get yourself a woollen underwear set (singlet & above the knee tights) and a nice knitted woollen cap and you can go about practically naked otherwise. Don't buy some thick, chunky stuff, but some nice, thin merino wool thingies that doesn't itch. Silk blends if you can afford it. Optionally, woollen tights. And thigh high woollen socks if it's really cold.

Other than that, another trick to stay toasty is to layer like crazy. Bolero or golf jacket, scarves and shawls.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Honoured Mook

Date:

I have a black frilly dress with a choker-style collar attached with ribbons. Sticky-out skirt and corset lacing down the sides. I'd like to get some wear out of it but it's not very everyday... I wondered about a white T underneath and thick black tights, but any other ideas?

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I love this thread. I shall definitely be posting here in the future!

Florian xxx 

Dont you ever, Stop being dandy, showing me you're handsome. 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

ADATOM wrote:

Miss Nimrod: Perhaps pair it with a black vest? I'm not sure what to do with it being so cold recently, but that's just what jumps in to my mind. Perhaps a punky jacket of sorts?

This is infact what I've decided to wear it with on NYE :) I found a really cool black vest with some cool detail on it so & it looks pretty. Thankyou lovely!

I'm glad you all like the idea for this thread...I have so many clothes but most of them I hardly wear because I have no clue how to! So I stick to my ol faithfuls & the new stuff gathers dust.

Regular Crew

Date:

I love this thread.

I have a sheer dress with a under dress. I can wear white bra and panties and be perfectly fine. I want to pair it with the black lacy tights but they show.

Mondays child is fair of face,
Tuesdays child is full of grace,
Wednesdays child is full of woe,
Thursdays child has far to go,
Fridays child is loving and giving,
Saturdays child works hard for his living,
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ What about hold-up stockings instead of tights, then?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

White bloomers! :D ^

'Driving My Tea' Since 22.02.2011

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

Lulu wrote:

I have a black frilly dress with a choker-style collar attached with ribbons. Sticky-out skirt and corset lacing down the sides. I'd like to get some wear out of it but it's not very everyday... I wondered about a white T underneath and thick black tights, but any other ideas?

A really 'kookie' long sleeve tee in some funky colour pink? rainbow?grey? Whatever works maybe even a print? and matching tights? boots?

Honoured Mook

Date:

^ I love the rainbow idea... rainbow tights and top and my black lace-up boots would be awesome. =D

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

A couple of months ago I bought a lovely mint green and red blouse thingy (it's really not a blouse but I can't think how to describe it) and I just can't think what to wear it with! I took a photo of it on my phone, as soon as I manage to upload it I'll post a picture.

Tumblr

SPAM is destroyed. SPAMMERS are banned. Talk of truth and beauty instead.

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I have a dress which the bodice bit is black and the skirt is black and white stripey. It's slightly to big too. This is it.  I might try taking it in but I'm still not sure how to wear it.

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I think that'd look really lovely with a cute little three-quarter sleeved top underneath and some flat pointy boots, then you could wear it ever day :)

I bought this beautiful skirt with braces recently. It's a very tight pencil skirt (a style I'm not used to wearing) with a very high waist, and, while it's absolutely beautiful, I'm struggling to find a way of making it wearable which isn't a proper 'occasion' style; I'd quite like to just wear it to the pub. It's very clingy so I have to be quite careful what I wear with it or the bumps show through. Any thoughts on how I could dress it down a bit?

Honoured Mook

Date:

I think maybe if you wore it with a t shirt, rather than a fancier top it would dress it down a bit.
Maybe with funky tights and boots/shoes as well? Not 'dressy' shoes or boots maybe something more casual?

Mind you, I think it's something you could wear most places anyway and not look over dressed...it's not the dressiest pencil skirt as the braces make it more casual to me.

It can't rain all the time...

my blog

facebook

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

I like your idea, thanks. :)
And your skirt is just absolutely fantastically lovely! I think it would look lovely with a black or white short sleeved blouse. Also a modern looking t-shirt would look quite quirky and not be too formal.

Florian xxx 

He/they pronouns pls

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:41:12 PM

Regular Crew

Date:

I have a thing that is what happens when someone attaches fisnet shirt to fishnet stockings and i dont even know what to call it let alone how to wear it

for narnia click

narnia

my blog

http://lightanddarkdiary.blogspot.com/

my deviant art

http://gameboycolorgirl.deviantart.com/

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

You mean like a fishnet bodysuit sort of thing? If so, a black dress and sort of Doc Marten style boots would look pretty good.

EDIT:I have a pair of bright green Doc Martens that I love dearly, but never wear, because I have no idea what goes with them, so if any one's got any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

-- Edited by Inky on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 07:12:52 PM

Etsy 10% off with the code 10MOOKY

Shiny New Etsy

Instagram

Honoured Mook

Date:

My terribly dull suggestion is all black. I do that if I have a particular item to show off. I'm especially fond of Docs and skirts, with black tights, because I think it makes your legs look dainty. Some bright jewellery to set off the colour of your boots if you own any?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I had the same docs but i ended up getting rid of them because they squeeked and were too tight when my feet got warm. However I used to wear them with black jeans/ leggings and some awful clashing top like yellow or neon pink :D x

Regular Crew

Date:

i have a pair of ankle boots with a 2 inch heel...they are red with black laces and a buckle on the side,the heel,toe and sole are white (pretty much like all-star shoes,but with heels).I loved them when i got them but it feels like they stand out too much..i wear mostly black clothes with red,pink or blue additions.Any ideas?Or should i get the white parts of the shoe dyed black so they are easier to match with an outfit?

High Mookish Shaman

Date:

I think your right sticking to blacks with the boots, with so much going on it makes them your statement piece and you dont want to take away from that with too much colour. What about a black plain skater style dress with plain black tights and then maybe add something in another colour from the boots, ie a red/white necklace/earings/belt ?

Another Idea for more more of a 'wow' factor is to use them in a colour blocking outfit which is very in on the catwalks atm. For example a plain black top/blouse and jacket with a white or red skirt/pants Or go all red on top with black or white skirt /pants ?

Honoured Mook

Date:

-- Edited by Eisbaer on Friday 5th of April 2013 05:41:47 PM

Runic Mook of the North (mod)

Date:

Although I'm a rather obsessive matcher myself, I think that going for some colour and style clashes often as not is a good idea. Makes an outfit look so much more interesting. Buuut, as I said I'm not that good at getting away from my matching-everything obsession. What I would have done was to add some white accessories and make-up elements. Eisbaer's idea about red lipstick is brilliant.

"So what you are saying is -I shouldn't play with fire" she said at last. "Of course you should" said One-Eye gently. "But don't be surprised if the fire play back." -Joanne Harris

Mookface (mod)

Date:

I think that dress is perfect! It wouldn't look out of place in a group of smart dresses, as it's elegant and subtle, but it could also fit in with hippies playing guitar on the beach. I reckon you'll be golden with that one!

Mookish Deity Most High

Date:

^ I definitely just misread this as 'nipples playing the guitar'...what the.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us